• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:40:02 AM

Little idea about tracks

Started by HornetMaX, February 15, 2014, 11:52:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HornetMaX

Hi all,
I was wondering if it would make sense to be able to modify a track in a non significant manner (e.g. changing a texture) without having to publish/register a new version of the track.

Said otherwise: some track files are under a checksum to verify the track corresponds to the registered track. I'm under the impression that today, almost any possible change to a track leads to a new "version" of that track.

It may make sense to have only the "core" parts of the track (track surface, .rdf file, maybe something else) under the checksum, so that the rest could be changed wwithout creating a "new" track (a new track version).

For example, a track creator could focus on the track surface (and do minimal artwork on texture and environment) and release a v1 of the track: after some iterations the track surface is considered OK and we are at v5. Each version v1 .. v5 would be a different version for GPB. After that however, subsequent versions of the track will differ only in texture/environment, so that they would be considered as "same" version. Big advantages:

• Track creators can work on track surface first, nail that, and then tackle texture and environment.
  • No need for stats reset for each version after v5 (in my example), unless some "core' part is changed, of course.
  • A player with track v5 could connect to a server using v6 or v7 (as they only differ in "cosmetic" stuff).

It's more or less what happens with bikes and paints.

@Track creators: What do you think ? Is it interesting ?

@Piboso: reasonably doable ?

MaX.

RBp

that's what in trying to do, try to fix them which requires new registration then after at it just the .map (texture) file to be updated which don't change anything in the stat's or checksum as you put it,

takes me about an hour and half to fix corner, up to two weeks each track depending on how many corners need fixing,  I can get though most of the currant  tracks in a quick time, if I update textures and surface each track will take months.

RBp

February 15, 2014, 12:04:23 PM #2 Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 12:14:14 PM by RBp
I think some tracks might need to be junked as the game has limitation, I find out as I work though them, Portimao for exsample  50/50 if that works ok for people .

The most important track that need fixing is philp island, the demo use this track and the 125cc, not a good combination.

HornetMaX

Quote from: RBp on February 15, 2014, 12:02:17 PM
that's what in trying to do, try to fix them which requires new registration then after at it just the .map (texture) file to be updated which don't change anything in the stat's or checksum as you put it,
Just to be sure, you mean that what I was suggesting is already implemented and doable ?

MaX.

RBp

yeah .map file  (textures) can be change with no effect to any checksum, 

HornetMaX

Quote from: RBp on February 15, 2014, 12:56:13 PM
yeah .map file  (textures) can be change with no effect to any checksum,

Good. But does this allow for changing non-track objects (e.g. stands, side objects etc) ?

MaX.

Nitrox

AFAIK only colission data is stored in trp. The game does not seem to be very "senstive" for .map changes. I personally prefer(ed) only changing .map when "experimenting" and after everything is done release a new version with trp updated too.

mapviewer does not load trp file BTW ;)