• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 04:23:31 AM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

Manual override of helpers

Started by PiBoSo, February 19, 2014, 05:49:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should it be possible to manually override the automatic rider lean?

Yes
23 (92%)
No, it would be an advantage compared to manual lean
2 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 25

HornetMaX

Quote from: Hawk_UK on February 20, 2014, 12:21:51 PM
It would be great to have a gear lever type foot controller for the gear shift. I gear shift with my foot pedals from my F430 at the moment, and I have to use the left pedal for downshift and the right pedal for upshift. So yeah, it would be great to have foot pedals/levers that acted the same as a motorcycle gear and brake foot levers.
Well, gear changes are "digital" actions, so buttons should be enough, no ?

MaX.

Stout Johnson

Quote from: HornetMaX on February 20, 2014, 11:25:55 AM
Quote from: Stout Johnson on February 20, 2014, 09:44:13 AM
2) easy way of making micro adjustments when cornering
That's not so sure. As said by Warlock above: the rider in auto mode leans in a chicane, imagine you don't want him to lean, how would you do that ?
I mean, in override mode, if you leave the stick centered, this has to be interpreted as "stay with automatic" ... It may also be complicate in other situations.
I'm not sure how Piboso would handle that.

If the override mode "adds" to the auto-lean signal, then if he leans left and you don' t want him too, you'll have to "counter lean" ... hmmm ...
good point there... but that's a very particular point I was not referring to. I meant the "normal" leaning in long corners, where I can make smoother adjustments via rider leaning ;)

but you are right, how this will be handled for staying neutral has to be figured out... counter-leaning would be a solution, but hard to get used to I guess....

The problem is that we have only two thumbs: a third stick on a joypad would not help.
Seems to me the only solution is to add pedals (that's already doable) and use them for some functions (e.g. clutch and rear brake) freeing one existing stick for rider movements.
E.g. left stick horiz = lean, right stick = rider lean (fwd/back, left/ right), triggers = throttle + front brake, pedals = clutch + rear brake.
not for me... I would guess (don't know as such a pad is not available yet) that having a normal stick left and 2 small sticks on the right (that are placed above each other) would allow to use the left one for steering, and the upper small one for rider leaning and the lower for clutch etc....

Another thing that may help (a little) is having a joypad with 3 or 4 triggers instead of only 2: you could use them for clutch, rear brake, throttle and front brake, leaving a stick for rider movements.
They'd have to be positioned in a way you can use them independently (e.g. with different fingers) though: like right index finger = throttle, right middle finger = front brake, left index = rear brake, left middle = clutch.
THAT is a nice proposal ... more triggers would be very much needed -  as I said, this could be a nice device which would sell great among motorcycle sim riders.... any entrepreneur around here who is willing to dig into this market niche? ;)
    -----------   WarStout Kawasaki Team   -----------

Stout Johnson

Quote from: HornetMaX on February 20, 2014, 12:48:58 PM

MaX.

right!

HornetMaX

Quote from: Stout Johnson on February 20, 2014, 01:04:48 PM
not for me... I would guess (don't know as such a pad is not available yet) that having a normal stick left and 2 small sticks on the right (that are placed above each other) would allow to use the left one for steering, and the upper small one for rider leaning and the lower for clutch etc....

Quote from: Stout Johnson on February 20, 2014, 01:04:48 PM
THAT is a nice proposal ... more triggers would be very much needed -  as I said, this could be a nice device which would sell great among motorcycle sim riders.... any entrepreneur around here who is willing to dig into this market niche? ;)
In my opinion, the niche is per se way too small: when you also consider that the device will probably cost in the 80+ Euros, that makes it even smaller.
That's probably why we don't have one yet and, likely, never will. Just the same as a good quality handlebar (which would be great, unless you also want to handle rider lean manually).

:(

MaX.

Hawk

Quote from: HornetMaX on February 20, 2014, 12:48:58 PM
Quote from: Hawk_UK on February 20, 2014, 12:21:51 PM
It would be great to have a gear lever type foot controller for the gear shift. I gear shift with my foot pedals from my F430 at the moment, and I have to use the left pedal for downshift and the right pedal for upshift. So yeah, it would be great to have foot pedals/levers that acted the same as a motorcycle gear and brake foot levers.

MaX.

If, like myself, you would like to have a controller more like a real motorcycle Throttle/Gear, brake and clutch levers, then of course the answer to your reply has got to be, "No".  :P ;D

HornetMaX

Quote from: Hawk_UK on February 20, 2014, 01:58:37 PM
If, like myself, you would like to have a controller more like a real motorcycle Throttle/Gear, brake and clutch levers, then of course the answer to your reply has got to be, "No".  :P ;D
[/quote]
For added realism OK, you could have a lever (two actually, including rear brake).
But for practical considerations, a handlebar with buttons to gear up/down looks more reasonable.

Sh@rk (on the french forum) had one of this built merging a G27 with a pocket bike handlebar and little more electronics: I think his solution (an "add-on" to a g27) is really smart and would probably sell OK, as many already have a g25/27 so ...

MaX.

Stout Johnson

Quote from: HornetMaX on February 20, 2014, 01:35:47 PM
In my opinion, the niche is per se way too small: when you also consider that the device will probably cost in the 80+ Euros, that makes it even smaller.
That's probably why we don't have one yet and, likely, never will. Just the same as a good quality handlebar (which would be great, unless you also want to handle rider lean manually).

:(

you are absolutely right MaX, the niche is in all likelihood too small to be profitable... my comment was made with an invisible *wink* ;)

but, m a y b e it could even be produced profitably, if one of the major producers of gamepads would be willing to make one, I think it could be made yielding a return - the costs could be controlled by using parts that are already in use in producing other gamepads. You would only need a new frame (I am not entirely sure if say 2-3 analogue sticks and 4 analogue triggers can be "transferred" from the gamepad to the computer? - but I guess with new cables that should be possible). And for me, personally, if there was a quality gamepad with 4 analogue triggers, I would pay up to 150,- for that... so with relative small production costs you could possibly make it profitable... and once on the market such a gamepad might come in handy for other games as well and would make it stand out from others