• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 12:55:31 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Steering dampers!

Started by BOBR6 84, February 26, 2014, 11:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desteban

I guess you are right Max, can't remember it that clearly. Thought it was about the steering damper but you might be right.
;D

Stout Johnson

Quote from: HornetMaX on February 27, 2014, 12:29:45 PM
OK, now I do recall the discussion !

But my impression was that it was not necessarily coming from the added damper, but more from a fix concerning the self-aligning moment of the front wheel (Piboso once posted that he had tears rolling when he finally managed to fix that). The self aligning moment is due to the front geometry and is the thing that tends to straighten your front wheel at speed. This looks looks a perfect candidate for the "too stable" bike behavior we do see now.

You could be right MaX, but tbh I remember it like Deste -  the over-stabilizing effect being connected to the artificial steering damper... not 100% sure though. (Piboso fixing that self-aligning moment of the front wheel was a huge step and I remember it being introduced  with beta1? - the over-stabilizing effect came a lot later beta3 I think it was...)

but again... my brain is old and has to keep track too many things to remember such details ;)
    -----------   WarStout Kawasaki Team   -----------

HornetMaX

Quote from: Stout Johnson on February 27, 2014, 04:37:47 PM
You could be right MaX, but tbh I remember it like Deste
I could also easily be wrong too. Honestly, the reasoning is what I recall better.

The timing I'm not 100% sure: the self-alignement moment stuff was fixed in beta3 I think (could be beta2, but not beta1), the "too directionally stable" appeared in beta3.

Anyway, what matters is more the future: can we have a steering damper setting in the garage ? More important: can we get rid of the "too directionally stable" thingy ?

MaX.

BOBR6 84

Cheers guys great reading!!

So it sounds like we have HESD! ''honda electronic steering damper'' lol!!!

I have this on my road fireblade but I dont like it! Apparently it is designed to not be intrusive! It will save full on tank slappers to a degree but still get lots of movement in general..

My race R6 has a manual damper and if I adjust to full stiffness its very difficult to move the bars at all! And when out on track the whole bike feels very stable! Sometimes maybe too stable! It seems these forces from wheelies etc can transfer elsewhere on the bike and make my suspension and chasis work overtime!

Obviously I back the damper off until im happy but these settings and effects would be awesome to see/feel in gpbikes! :)

BOBR6 84

Saying that 600cc bikes and 1000cc bikes are different obviously.. Some of the road 600s iv owned didnt have or need a damper..

I guess its very difficult to simulate all the different forces and effects of a motorcycle in a game thats why I admire gpbikes and the work of piboso and modders! Its the closest thing we have in my opinion!