• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:15:58 PM

MaxHUD plugin

Started by HornetMaX, September 26, 2013, 04:34:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Napalm Nick

I'm not picking cos there is a LOT to love here but if the game crashes - my controller vibrates continuously either until I can get back to the track or pull the Controller USB plug out lol!
Vibratey!  :o
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

h106frp

Not had a game crash scenario yet, maybe MaX can trap can track a 'watchdog' to tell when the plugin in no longer receiving fresh data and exit gracefully shutting the rumble motors down on the way out.

But i have tried a smoother track now (Mallory) and with my current rumble ini settings i am surprised how much 'feedback' appears on the rumble. It is an insight into just how much processing is going on with the bike modelling, every little fluctuation in surface and wheel traction seems to feed through. Does not seem to have as much variation in magnitude with the bike leaned over either.

Had to try it  ;) 'threshold=0' brilliant ! Constant vibes from low level to 'the shakes'

HornetMaX

Well, it seems you guys like the feature :)

Honestly, I haven't tested it: only a few random laps to debug it (on the 990, Victoria) and that's all.
In particular, no idea how appropriate it is for the other games, MXB in particular (as KRP and WRS are not usually played with a joypad).

Anyway, once you've tried it (including playing with the different settings), let me know for each option what seems to work best for you and if you'd need more /less range in the options.

Quote from: h106frp on July 18, 2015, 08:10:39 PM
If anyone wants the rumble it pays to experiment with the .ini file values to get the best experience with your particular controller, just altering the values by very small increments made a big difference to the feel.
Uh, you shouldn't be playing with the .ini file, all the options are accessible via the menu (Caps-Lock while on the track): much easier !
All the options are integers: if you change (for example) a 1 into a 1.2, then likely the value is ignored and set back to its default.

Observations so far;
Strange rumble when bike resets to the edge of the track, maybe 0 mph = no velocity rumble would fix this
Yep I've seen it: it seems GPB puts the bike back on track but with the suspesions at a pre-set height, so that as soon as the physics simulation starts, the bike "falls" down triggering some rumble.
I'll try to find a workaround (on top of what I had already put in place, namely detect respawns and reset the filter status).

Magnitude seems higher when the bike is more upright, bumps in corners with high lean do not seem to have comparable rumble magnitude. Is this a function of world/bike axis interpolation ? Maybe all 3 axis need to be resolved before being sent to the rumble filter.
Yes, it comes from the fact I use VelY as signal ("vertical" velocity, in bike's frame): when the bike is leaning, this is no longer so meaningful.
I can probably get the real vertical velocity using the bike's Y and Z (or Y and X, can't remember) plus the lean angle.

Might be nice to mix in a bit of steer torque value when the bars are flapping about and the values become more 'dynamic'.
Thought about it, but if the bars are flapping, then the bike should be vibrating hence it should already rumble.

Quote from: h106frp on July 18, 2015, 09:17:14 PM
Quote from: Napalm Nick on July 18, 2015, 08:53:11 PM
I'm not picking cos there is a LOT to love here but if the game crashes - my controller vibrates continuously either until I can get back to the track or pull the Controller USB plug out lol!
Vibratey!  :o
Not had a game crash scenario yet, maybe MaX can trap can track a 'watchdog' to tell when the plugin in no longer receiving fresh data and exit gracefully shutting the rumble motors down on the way out.

Haven't had a crash but I was aware this could happen. Unfortunately there's nothing I can do about that, except eventually providing a small .exe that, when executed, stops all rumble.
When GPB crashes the plugin dies (it's not a separate process, it's just a dll called by GPB).

MaX.

h106frp

That's what happens when you read the manual first  ::) . Fortunately i have stayed with the range of integer values reflected by the menu options that i have now found  :)

Loving this plug in  :)

HornetMaX

Quote from: HornetMaX on July 18, 2015, 11:17:05 PM
Magnitude seems higher when the bike is more upright, bumps in corners with high lean do not seem to have comparable rumble magnitude. Is this a function of world/bike axis interpolation ? Maybe all 3 axis need to be resolved before being sent to the rumble filter.
Yes, it comes from the fact I use VelY as signal ("vertical" velocity, in bike's frame): when the bike is leaning, this is no longer so meaningful.
I can probably get the real vertical velocity using the bike's Y and Z (or Y and X, can't remember) plus the lean angle.
Have to correct myself: the VelY signal is in *world* coords, not bike's coords.
So, despite that not being really optimal neither (e.g. on a slope ...), I can't see why the rumble would be less when leaning.

MaX.

h106frp

It might just be a feature of the Donnington track, on a smoother track the magnitude seems more consistent.

It would be interesting to be able to select any of the 3 axis or a 'combined' output to compare the differences.

LOOPATELI

Thanks for the update max. I found interesting using rumble for additional info.
The gear shift rumble is fantastic, I can know now when I'm shifting down without looking the dash (as sometimes you try to shift down but the bike doesn't want to).
What I feel weird, and of course is a personal opinion, is the "Y axis" rumble. For me it doesn't give any extra info and it is quite random (you know, not random but in strange situations)
I'd like it to work for example when a wheel is sliding (wheel speed difference), or when steers moves (like in slow corners that the front starts to shake, but the Y axis rumble does not work at least for me)

HornetMaX

Quote from: LOOPATELI on July 20, 2015, 11:54:44 AM
What I feel weird, and of course is a personal opinion, is the "Y axis" rumble. For me it doesn't give any extra info and it is quite random (you know, not random but in strange situations)
I'd like it to work for example when a wheel is sliding (wheel speed difference), or when steers moves (like in slow corners that the front starts to shake, but the Y axis rumble does not work at least for me)
Even if I have to use it a bit more, I tend to agree: it doesn't provide useful information, it's just "cosmetic".

Associating rumble to some more interesting data (e.g. wheel speed difference) is something I could do, but I find it questionable: assuming it works (and it could), it may give players with the plugin an advantage with respect to players without.

I've opened this topic to gather any feedback: http://forum.piboso.com/index.php?topic=2497.0

MaX.

h106frp

Some of the Y axis rumble is definitely due to how you are applying the power to the rear wheel.

I noticed that for the same piece of track nice smooth power delivery and sensible gear choice give low rumble. More aggressive riding causes almost continual rumble, its as if the rear wheel is chattering on the track surface and this translates to constant velocity changes of the bikes axis. I have mainly been testing with the 990 which has quite harsh power delivery.

I think this might be masking some of the other rumble detail.

I do enjoy the rumble though, now i am used to it switching it off makes the game feel a bit 'broken'  ;D

I think it would be interesting to examine the other axis to see if different details emerge for different bike situations. I am considering coding up my spare USB PIC microcontroller board to drive a linear shaker with 'live' amplitude and frequency control.

The buttkicker gamer2 seems a good package but is in short supply and prices are high at the moment - due to improve in the Autumn - not sure sound driven would work well with GPB as the sound modelling is not very detailed, but driven by a signal(s)  from the telemetry it could be very convincing. Some cheap experiments with an old speaker driver are possibly a way forwardfor now.  ;)

Toomes1

First time I've tried this plugin, Max I love it specially now that I have the gpx lightback controller the rumble is sweet I like.

h106frp

Hi Toomes,

You grabbed the GPX then.  8)

Interested in how these compare to other controllers, any chance of a quick summary/comparison with your old controller?

BOBR6 84

Quote from: h106frp on July 21, 2015, 07:38:56 PM
Hi Toomes,

Interested in how these compare to other controllers, any chance of a quick summary/comparison with your old controller?

+1  8)

(still waiting for the postman pfft)

h106frp

I reckon your postman is too busy playing GPB with his shiny new GPX controller  ;)

BOBR6 84

Lol as long as he's happy with it..  ;D ::)

My fault, forgot to update my payment details.. Payment declined, Doh  :-[

Shouldnt be long now..

Toomes1

Quote from: h106frp on July 21, 2015, 07:38:56 PM
Hi Toomes,

To sum up the gpx it's much more precise compared to the xbox360 controller - plug and play so no setting up of riders control, the rumble is a nice addition also adding some feel which is a bonus for me. The light speed gauges also light up according to how much pressure you apply to LT and RT triggers, good idea if you can have one eye on the screen and the other eye on the controller.all in all a brilliant controller for Gpbikes just for £31 from ebuyer.