• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:34:36 PM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

Peugeot 205 WIP

Started by sim2lew, March 06, 2014, 09:02:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sim2lew

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to share some images of my 205 sort-of-T16. There's still a lot to get done before even thinking of converting it to WRS but everything has to start somewhere...
The model has had two smoothing passes and an ambient occlusion pass in the pictures. Any ideas/criticism welcome ;D

Thanks for looking  :)

LauZzZn

Alby46

it's really good to see some modding here :)
Still riding a 50cc, but enjoying it :)

janaucarre

the modeling seems good!

Hawk

Hi sim2lew.

Any chance of seeing the shaded wire frame view? I model in 3D and I like to see others peoples creations topology.

Well done. Nice job indeed... Looks great! ;D

sim2lew

March 21, 2014, 09:32:39 PM #5 Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 11:38:09 PM by sim2lew
Hey Hawk_UK, thanks for the reply :D

The model's a bit messy in places at the moment but I pretty much try to follow the tips in paulthepuzzles' wings3d documentation and the examples I've seen of subdivision modelling. I'm happy with most of the panels of the car, but some of the work I did early on needs cleaning up and there's a few vertices that make odd shapes when they subdivide that need sorting. You've probably got a lot more experience of 3D modelling than me though, so please let me know if you spot anywhere I can improve :)

The door with wing omitted for clarity:

Subdivided once:

Subdivided twice:

Here's one of the corners, first as I modelled it:

Then subdivided:

And again, that arc forming behind the wheel arch worries me:

Six edges at a vertex, bad idea? :P

janaucarre

I don't know the program you use, but in 3ds max when you smooth you can choose by material and the deformation is very very small, perhaps there is an equal option here.

Hawk

Six edged pole is not recommended(as you know. :) ), however, so long as they are kept to a flat surface and not producing any artefacts on your surface you'll probably get away with it, but it is preferred to be cleaned up by rule as it can make UV mapping/texturing more difficult.

If you want it to be perfect, it looks like you need to clean up some of the topology after you subdivided though by what you have said I think you are well aware of were the problems lie - Are you using Linear subdivision to subdivide your poly's? I ask because it looks as though you might have used exponential subdivision on some parts?

I personally think you could get away with less subdivision of the poly's? Instead, you could try careful application of normal edge smoothing to get the same smooth result but with less poly's, but that's just a personal suggestion as we all have our own ways and tech's for doing things.  :)

But overall your doing a GREAT job there sim2lew.... Well done mate, the 205 is looking good! ;D 8)

sim2lew

March 22, 2014, 05:12:40 PM #8 Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 05:16:23 PM by sim2lew
I have a feeling that the cause of that crowded vertex lies in the edges I've used to constrain the shape of the panel near the tail light, leaving a face with at least 5 or 6 edges. I suppose it's little things like that which get amplified through subdivision that can create big problems, which worries me from the point of view of reflections as I'm also hoping to use this model for a video project too, so the big drive is making it look right when a high poly version is rendered which can only benefit the version that gets exported for WRS, I suppose :P

I'm using wings 3D which on each pass I think splits each edge in half, leaves the newly formed vertices in place and moves the original vertices to smooth the model (The best example I've seen is how a hexagonal loop tends towards a circle when subdivided in wings). It's brilliant for making things that look natural but I'm aware of the downsides i.e. poly count (130k for the model without wheels after two subdivides).

I think you're right about performing less subdivision, I'll probably either smooth the thing manually or edit the smoothed model rather than relying solely on subdivision passes so that I can keep the poly count down and generally keep the model tidy. The pain of UV mapping an untidy model has put me off basically all of my previous projects so that's something I'm bearing in mind too.

Thanks for the feedback Hawk, I really appreciate your help and insight :)

Alby46

it would be fantastic to see this now in wrs, since the modding is open and dirt tracks are supported
Still riding a 50cc, but enjoying it :)