• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 01:00:00 AM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

Indianapolis WIP

Started by Arvoss, March 18, 2014, 08:06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arvoss

March 18, 2014, 08:06:08 PM Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 06:12:08 PM by Arvoss
I got a couple of basic 3D lessons at school and I decided to make a track :D Making a track is probably a bit easier than making bikes. I think someone is working on Qatar (Losail) so I'll try to make Indianapolis. I'm using blender to make this track. Making a track will take a lot of time since I'm very new at 3D modeling. But it's to learn new stuff etc. ;)

STEP 1 - HD picture of the track

1 hour and 55 pictures later I've finally finished a HD composition of Indianapolis :D
From far it looks like a normal satellite image but you can zoom in and see every detail! :D

STEP 2 - Surface

I have some questions:

Is this a good start to make a track? (this is Losail) I rally don't know how other guys make their tracks. I don't watch tutorials ATM because I want to learn as much as possible by myself :D So if I finish a track 1 day it will be 1000% scratch built ;)

Is there a source to find good track images? Or do you look for images on Google images?
Is it easy to convert a blender file to a 3DS max file? Has someone even done this or is everyone using 3DS max?

More questions coming soon :P

Alby46

is blender working good? it is also available on linux so maybe i will do some models :)
Still riding a 50cc, but enjoying it :)

Arvoss

Quote from: Alby46 on March 18, 2014, 08:11:14 PM
is blender working good? it is also available on linux so maybe i will do some models :)

We learn blender at school and I like it :D I just don't know if exporting a .blend file to a 3DS max file is possible/easy...

Alby46

i think you can export it to maya and then 3ds max
Still riding a 50cc, but enjoying it :)

Arvoss

March 18, 2014, 08:23:42 PM #4 Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 08:25:13 PM by Arvoss
Quote from: Alby46 on March 18, 2014, 08:23:00 PM
i think you can export it to maya and then 3ds max

I'll see, I have time :P It will probably take 1 year until I have a decent track lol

janaucarre

Hello,
I don't know if there is a plugin for export to 3dsmax format but it does exist.
For the position of the polygones wich make asphalt surfaces, the images you posted show that all are non perpendicular to the edge(interior of the curves), after many hours of testing i noted that the best grip, and for not falling with no reason, is to make as perpendicular as possible the vertex.
If you want i post here screenshot of good and bad.

Arvoss

Quote from: janaucarre on March 18, 2014, 08:28:38 PM
Hello,
I don't know if there is a plugin for export to 3dsmax format but it does exist.
For the position of the polygones wich make asphalt surfaces, the images you posted show that all are non perpendicular to the edge(interior of the curves), after many hours of testing i noted that the best grip, and for not falling with no reason, is to make as perpendicular as possible the vertex.
If you want i post here screenshot of good and bad.

A screenshot would be nice if it's possible :D

janaucarre

i just take a look on the export to 3ds. It is clearly possible, you need python be installed, after that you make sn export in.3ds or .obj and .mtl (or mlt dont be sure), all your scene must be in one object, in 3ds you make an import (coche blender square, sorry dont know coche in english). The mlt (or mtl) is for the textures.
So, it's possible.
PS: what i say here is comming from a post 3years ago, perhaps that's better and easier now.
I post screenshot as soon as possible.

Arvoss

Quote from: janaucarre on March 18, 2014, 08:40:50 PM
i just take a look on the export to 3ds. It is clearly possible, you need python be installed, after that you make sn export in.3ds or .obj and .mtl (or mlt dont be sure), all your scene must be in one object, in 3ds you make an import (coche blender square, sorry dont know coche in english). The mlt (or mtl) is for the textures.
So, it's possible.
PS: what i say here is comming from a post 3years ago, perhaps that's better and easier now.
I post screenshot as soon as possible.

Thank you for the info and the screenshots :D

RBp

March 18, 2014, 09:04:56 PM #9 Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 09:07:54 PM by RBp
Just 2 tracks are need to complete this year motogp calendar, indy and the new track from argentina?

Most tracks are made in BTB nice and simple software, or made by using  top down photo and lofting a center line in 3dmax, Janaucarre correct that the track mesh works best at 90 degree angle from the grass edge, this way I fixed the currant tracks. Getting the textures correct you need to unwrap every single model to a image template  paint the template and then assign the material to the model in the 3d software.

Arvoss

Quote from: RBp on March 18, 2014, 09:04:56 PM
Just 2 tracks are need to complete this year motogp calendar, indy and the new track from argentina?

Most tracks are made in BTB nice and simple software, or made by using  top down photo and lofting a center line in 3dmax, Janaucarre correct that the track mesh works best at 90 degree angle from the grass edge, this way I fixed the currant tracks. Getting the textures correct you need to unwrap every single model to a image template  paint the template and then assign the material to the model in the 3d software.

I'll try to make Indianapolis :D Texturing will be something difficult I think :/ But first I need to make the track lol

RBp

I just started doing the textures just basic stuff with Ad boards for now for the BSB tracks, I've unwrapped a flat plan and used company logos off the internet added as layer, doing it this way I think will be easyer as I can simple change the texture and use the same model copyed multi times.  3Dsimed is also good software for exporting currant models and textures from tracks already built

PiBoSo

Quote from: Arvoss on March 18, 2014, 08:20:36 PM
Quote from: Alby46 on March 18, 2014, 08:11:14 PM

We learn blender at school and I like it :D I just don't know if exporting a .blend file to a 3DS max file is possible/easy...

It should be possible to export to FBX format and then use the FBX2EDF converter.
Please report if it works.
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

PeterV

Quote from: RBp on March 18, 2014, 09:04:56 PM

Almost....
- Indianapolis
- Argentina
- Motegi

JamoZ