• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:45:11 PM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

Direct connect?

Started by Vini, September 08, 2021, 09:05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vini

Can you direct connect to a server ip without going through the master server?

Hawk

I remember having this discussion a long time ago - Asking that if Piboso went under then would we still be able to directly connect with other players without the master server but through a clients dedicated server setup..... I'm pretty sure the answer was "No", GPBikes cannot be connected to a self created dedicated server, it solely works through Piboso's master server for multiplayer use. So if Piboso went under, multiplayer would not be possible.

Personally I think Piboso should look at that and make it so players can setup their own dedicated servers to play multiplayer.

However things might have changed so I could be incorrect in what I've said here???

poumpouny

As long as piboso run the master server, this system is better. Escpecially with most of the internet provided now (mobile phone provider) with no fixed ip and hazardous portforwarding handling. But as you say, since GPbikes is only multiplayer, if piboso shut down the master server, then GPbikes will be useless. I think, the best thing is to précode the direct connect code and implement it if one day Piboso want or is forced to shut down the master server !

Vini

There are other issues with the master server system, for example you run into issue when trying to rejoin or rehost servers quickly (duplicate GUID and nonsense like that).

Myst1cPrun3

I mean in theory you could use Hamachi to trick it into using LAN instead I suppose.

But I'm not sure as I haven't tried it

Vini

That's what I did but nobody bothered to go through the hassle.