• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 12, 2024, 08:36:10 AM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

Prototype gp500 physics model

Started by girlracerTracey, June 02, 2014, 11:05:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

girlracerTracey

June 02, 2014, 11:05:32 AM Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 11:07:29 AM by girlracerTracey
Hi everyone.

I have made a new and modified physics file for the 500cc 2-stroke bikes..which is in a beta test stage at the moment.

What I have tried to improve are the handling characteristics to allow the 500cc bikes to turn in to corners more quickly and to hold a tighter line once in the corner. Engine and gearbox characteristics remain exactly as before however. What I have done is lightened the whole bike and changed the suspension and geometry settings in the physics cfg file. Also I have improved the aero effect to allow the bikes to reach a slightly higher top-speed. Acceleration is slightly better as well I think. So the bikes are reaching higher speeds at the end of long straights.

Main modification though as I say is to the handling and more specifically an improved turn in effect and the ability to hold a tighter line once in the corner. I personally found it a little difficult with the original physics to achieve a desired turn in rate and then to maintain a tight line through the bend(s). I think there are also some benefits in braking control because of the reduced weight on the front end.

Anyway myself and BOBR6 84 have now tested my modified physics model and it seems to work quite well.

My question is would anyone else like to test it at this early prototype stage?

I hope no one minds me modding the "varese" physics but I just wanted to experiment to achieve quicker steering and a more agile handling effect. What I suppose I have tried to achieve is to mimic the quicker steering effect that I experience with the physics model in the gp500 pc game which is a game I play regularly and which I greatly enjoy. But please bear in mind that my physics model for the 500s in gpbikes is very much at an early beta "test" stage.

Is there anyway I can upload it somewhere so people can try it if they are interested? Alternatively I could maybe e-mail it to someone who could upload it to a download site that you guys use?

Anyway, just thought I would let you guys know. I plan to eventually produce slightly different variations on my physics model for the nsr, rgv500, cagiva and yamaha yzr 500 to reflect the differences between the bikes in real life.

grT  :) 

HornetMaX

If you have modified only the .geom or .cfg file, you can just show them here as "Code", they are tiny files.

Otherwise, Mega is your friend (zip everything in a single file).

MaX.

girlracerTracey

O.K. it's only the cfg file but to make it easier for anyone who wants to give it a go I have uploaded it to MEGA.

It's a work in progress but I would be interested in what people make of this..

Just install within the "Honda_500_NSR_95" bike folder having backed up your original cfg file.

https://mega.co.nz/#!WhJRXAjT!3JmESgf1H3hT5iQYKqweW1XUxN86N-ct43KfA4-C5ik

grT  ;)

girlracerTracey

Forgot to mention my "test" track when modding these physics was Silverstone. So maybe try it there first?

I also tested it out round Cadwell Park also & personally found it a bit easier lining up for the "jump" before the mountain.

grT 

C21

you reduced the chassis mass to the weight of a 250cc 2stroke ???
# Member of the CAWS Racing Team #

girlracerTracey

June 02, 2014, 03:23:16 PM #5 Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 03:55:51 PM by girlracerTracey
Yep I know. Deliberately. I'm interested in the final feel of the bike on the track. For me with the original physics the bike feels a little bit too heavy and clumsy. It has trouble holding a tight line on some bends. At least it does for me anyway. In real life as we all know the 500cc grand prix machine were extremely light and "flickable" and held tight lines through corners.

The guys used to flick them around at will. Kevin Schwantz being a prime example of what was possible on a 500 grand prix bike.

The 1994 Cagiva C594 weighed 130 kg

The last of the 250cc Grand Prix bikes weighed about 100 kg I think.

I could and probably will add some extra weight back on to close the gap but I am experimenting in order to to achieve a certain character of handling characteristics.

That is my main aim.

As a matter of interest have you tried out the physics?

HornetMaX

Hmmm ... that's not the proper way to do this kind of things ...

MaX.

JamoZ

Like i said before,I'd rather see and feel a convincing bike with unrealistic physic files, then a bike that matches all the real numbers but feels like a turd on wheels. I couldn't care less if the weight is wrong or whatever. Right now the 500 feels like a garbage truck and it was about time someone jumped on it. I'll try your files when i get home Tracey...

girlracerTracey

June 02, 2014, 04:47:16 PM #8 Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 04:49:00 PM by girlracerTracey
Why not Max?

Isn't it the end result that counts?

Talking of statistics for a moment I am a bit surprised that with the standard physics the 500s struggle a bit to reach the mid 170 mph mark on the back straight at Silverstone? Should they not be able to reach a higher top speed?

I agree that with my modified physics the 500s are perhaps too wheelie prone. Can I reduce that tendency within the cfg file..I notice there is a "wheelinghelp" adjustment in the cfg file. By adjusting this would this reduce that tendency to wheelie in the higher gears?

I am just sharing this with you guys for your interest. However my own personal opinion is that turn-in and the ability to maintain a tighter line through certain corners is arguably more realistic with the modified physics. Having said all that if people don't like the physics then of course I will just make use of it when playing offline.

Ian

If it makes it more playable got to be worth a try the 500 is to much of a handful for us lesser mortals.

Abigor

Remember that 500 is on different tires.....(really old tires)......that's why you feel that "maintain a tighter line through certain corners" is hard.

C21

Did a few laps on Victoria . Back to back Test. Bike is now 10-12km/h faster on the straight.
But Wheels up to 5th gear. Really nervous to Ride compared to the Std file.
I'm Not the approptiate Person to judge the 500cc because i did Not Ride the 500cc Bikes that much.
I would raise the Chassis Mass up and also the Engine inertia. Don't know why you changed it, was the Engine response Not aggressive enough ?
Steering wheigt is drastically reduced to 1.45.....hui.
Think you made a mistake at the rake angle Setting....1.125... The Setting is connected to the geom file ;)
You reduced the Masses but Not accordingly to the inertias.

BTW: you've got two Times "driveline values" in the cfg ;)

Only a Short Look at the cfg and a few laps...don't have more Time yet....
# Member of the CAWS Racing Team #

girlracerTracey

June 02, 2014, 06:21:49 PM #12 Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 06:23:48 PM by girlracerTracey
Quote from: Abigor on June 02, 2014, 05:35:34 PM
Remember that 500 is on different tires.....(really old tires)......that's why you feel that "maintain a tighter line through certain corners" is hard.

In my honest opinion I do not think it has much to do with the physics model for the older tyres. In my own opinion the problem is not grip, or lack of it, I think the problem is one of weight and steering geometry. Having experimented with the physics model I am personally now convinced of that fact.

I think if you stuck stickier (or modern) tyres on the 500cc bike you would still have the same problem going on in the background. That my take on this anyway.

Old tyres or new tyres the physics do not feel right to me in terms of the agility of the 500cc bikes and their ability to hold a line. If it was the tyres then you would have slides trying to maintain a tight line. That is not what is happening. The geometry & weight is what I think is causing the oversteer.

This is just my opinion but having modded the physics I can really feel the difference now.

Proof is in the pudding for me..

JamoZ

Just tried it and now it feels just weird. Yes it changes lean angle & direction slightly faster, but corner speed seems even lower then with the std bike, so that results in going wide in almost every corner unless you massively brake it into that corner and reduce speed so much you lose your whole momentum.

I think a feeling similar to the 250 would suit a 500 more. Just slightly more weight and a little less grip due to the older tires. Right now the standard 500 physics do not represent the light & agile bikes from my memory :)

_oDi_

Quote from: Abigor on June 02, 2014, 05:35:34 PM

+1

and then the tires of the 90's did not allow lean angles more than 50/55 degrees. Piboso knows what he does ;)