• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 17, 2024, 01:21:09 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Syncback question....

Started by CapeDoctor, June 16, 2015, 01:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapeDoctor

indeed, much appreciated, guys.
i do have a few more minor issues concerning bike paints, still wondering whether to open a separate thread or continue in this one.
i'll probably ask here, as it seems related to syncback, but first some supper and a bit of telly tonight ;)

CapeDoctor

okay, so i've been monitoring this sync option since yesterday, and i'm not sure i like what it's doing.
perhaps there's settings i should change, though i'm not sure which.
i've found that it keeps syncing to the ftp, even though i stopped it - seems like it just automatically kicks back in every so often. so i could stop it, start playing GPB, then go back after a while to find it's busy checking/deleting stuff - how often must it do this? i mean, first time out, didn't it sort everything as it should?
if so, why does it continue doing checks/deletions all the time.
also, my understanding is that it will remove any bikes/paints which are not part of the bike mod - and here, for example, the rgv 500 93, the bike is still there, but it keeps deleting the skins.
i add the skins back in, then later it's deleted them again....  >:(
so, seems the best option is not to run it at all, but only to run it on the one or two occasions per month that the bike mod is updated.
and it really does upset my apple-cart when i've added in lots of extra cool skins, only to have them deleted. i know it warns of this, and of course i back up my skins, but why doesn't it just focus on the bikes, and ignore the skins? surely that would make more sense.....?
atm i keep stopping the profile from running, only to find a little while later it's busy doing stuff again....

Hawk

Quote from: TheCapeDoctor on June 18, 2015, 09:44:51 AM
okay, so i've been monitoring this sync option since yesterday, and i'm not sure i like what it's doing.
perhaps there's settings i should change, though i'm not sure which.
i've found that it keeps syncing to the ftp, even though i stopped it - seems like it just automatically kicks back in every so often. so i could stop it, start playing GPB, then go back after a while to find it's busy checking/deleting stuff - how often must it do this? i mean, first time out, didn't it sort everything as it should?
if so, why does it continue doing checks/deletions all the time.
also, my understanding is that it will remove any bikes/paints which are not part of the bike mod - and here, for example, the rgv 500 93, the bike is still there, but it keeps deleting the skins.
i add the skins back in, then later it's deleted them again....  >:(
so, seems the best option is not to run it at all, but only to run it on the one or two occasions per month that the bike mod is updated.
and it really does upset my apple-cart when i've added in lots of extra cool skins, only to have them deleted. i know it warns of this, and of course i back up my skins, but why doesn't it just focus on the bikes, and ignore the skins? surely that would make more sense.....?
atm i keep stopping the profile from running, only to find a little while later it's busy doing stuff again....

I'm sure there is a setting in options to stop it deleting files from the folders you have synced. Max, Nick or one of the other guys here that use syncback will I'm sure give you advice on how to achieve this as soon as they can, but I update manually(just my thing as I don't trust synciback programmes), so I cannot tell you the exact procedure to accomplish this as I never use it.

It's sounds like it's probably just the "paints" folders that you don't want any files deleting from, which makes sense because the bike folders need to be exactly same as original version being synced or you will get data mismatch.   ;)

Hawk.

HornetMaX

Syncback is fully configurable. For example, you can decide (you HAVE to decide):

• If a file that exists locally (on your disk) and does not exist in the FTP must be deleted/kept
  • If a file that is newer locally than in the ftp must be kept/updated
  • etc

Each sync profile has plenty of options and you should looking at all of them before sync'ing the 1st time.
Normally once you've configured the profile properly, you're done for a while.

It's a powerful tool so it can configured to suit to most of the needs. But you have to take the time to understand what it does.

I don't have it here at office, but if it is re-starting after you've stopped it, most likely you've an option to run continuosly/at each startup/at regular intervals.

MaX.

CapeDoctor

thanks guys :D
lol, sounds like i dived straight in the deep end without testing the waters first...  :o
okay, i better take some time and check out all the options first. guess i figured it would just behave as required without further interaction from me - guess again.... i guess :D
cheers, fellas, doing some more investigation today.  8)

Napalm Nick

The default profile you obtained from the sync back thread is for mirroring the FTP to local files. It is best for servers (no paint files required on server etc). It is also perfect for people who just want the 'official' mod bike database and don't want to delve into local modding, skinning and dabbling.

As a dabbler, I suggest you delete the provided profile and make a new one from scratch tailoring it to your personal hopes and dreams - this also includes scheduling. That way you will get what you want plus you have learnt something about each setting, raising you from idle questioner to syncbak font of knowledge!  ;D
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

CapeDoctor

well, dabbling is definitely on the cards from me, although you can only really expect skins/paints form my side, as i have plenty experience with aircraft and object skinning from my flight sim time, as for this syncback thing, i'll definitely look into modifying a profile so that it only works with bike folders, and doesn't mess too much with the paints.
i'll leave the other stuff like tracks and 3d in the hands of those more knowledgeable in those particular dark arts.  ;)

Napalm Nick

Hmm like a .pnt exclusion filter?  Hehe that's a freebie  :D
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

HornetMaX

Quote from: Napalm Nick on June 18, 2015, 01:23:52 PM
That way you will get what you want plus you have learnt something about each setting, raising you from idle questioner to syncbak font of knowledge!  ;D
^^ Nicely said. I'm sure I can reuse this in plenty of contexts. Thanks !

Quote from: Napalm Nick on June 18, 2015, 01:45:03 PM
Hmm like a .pnt exclusion filter?  Hehe that's a freebie  :D
You still want the "default" .pnt of each bike, you wannabe font of knowledge  8)

MaX.