• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 03, 2024, 04:04:46 AM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

Controller

Started by Robert223, April 11, 2016, 10:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert223

Hi,

I would like to get a better controller, or even an handlebar controller. So far I have been using a Logitech F310. I will get DD's awesome controller in the end but would like something to test before that (got some health issues with my tendons and need to see if I can play with a handlebar controller for a long time).

What are you guys using?

Thanks

davidboda46

I use a bit of a custom job  :D
http://forum.piboso.com/index.php?topic=3056.0

Cheers,

/David "Gonzo" Boda #46
"THE EDGE... THERE IS NO HONEST WAY TO EXPLAIN IT BECAUSE THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO REALLY KNOW WHERE IT IS ARE THE ONES WHO HAVE GONE OVER"

Hawk

I use a joystick combined with foot pedals... But like you I would love to have DD's bike controller.  ;)

Hawk

Robert223

What kind of joystick Hawk?

Hawk

I use the Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2 Joystick. It's a cheapo but it works.  ;)

I also have an Xbox 360 Gamepad(PC), but I cannot get on with the circular gates on the analogue sticks when using the lean and throttle on same stick.

Hawk.

Robert223

So you have it setup as forward=throttle and backwards=brake? Using the Logitech controller I set it up as using the left stick for leaning and front brake (backwards of course) and the right stick as throttle/brake. That way I have 0 feel for the front brake though which is where I f up mostly over or under-braking.
Using the right stick for throttle/brake works fine with car sims just not with GP bikes imo.

Maybe I'll give a joystick a shot. Can you tell me how you set up the front and rear brakes?

Robert

Robert223

Quote from: davidboda46 on April 12, 2016, 12:05:27 AM

Cheers,

/David "Gonzo" Boda #46
Holy cable-salad-batman.  :o How does it work? Did you set it up as counter-steering or steering into the turns?

robert

Hawk

Quote from: Robert223 on April 12, 2016, 12:35:44 AM
So you have it setup as forward=throttle and backwards=brake? Using the Logitech controller I set it up as using the left stick for leaning and front brake (backwards of course) and the right stick as throttle/brake. That way I have 0 feel for the front brake though which is where I f up mostly over or under-braking.
Using the right stick for throttle/brake works fine with car sims just not with GP bikes imo.

Maybe I'll give a joystick a shot. Can you tell me how you set up the front and rear brakes?

Robert

I never use the rear brakes.... Not much point if they are hardly touching the tarmac when using your front brakes.  Some riders do use the rear brakes in mid-corner for helping to pull the bike around the corners but I don't bother with that. :)
As far as Joystick front/rear brake setup is concerned, I just calibrate my joystick in the settings menu, usually set my brake leverage to 18 or 20 mm and off I go!  ;D

But it's all personal preference.... just set things up how you feel you like it and enjoy!  ;)

Hawk.

Robert223

sorry just to be clear you brake by pulling the joystick towards you and accelerate by pushing it away from you right? thx

Hawk

April 12, 2016, 12:59:09 AM #9 Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 01:01:12 AM by Hawk
Quote from: Robert223 on April 12, 2016, 12:51:21 AM
sorry just to be clear you brake by pulling the joystick towards you and accelerate by pushing it away from you right? thx

Sorry, I forgot to mention that..... Yes, I push the stick forward for the throttle and pull it back for the front brake.  :)

Edit: I tilt the joystick left and right to lean the bike.

Hawk.

Robert223

Thanks Hawk. :)

I will try using only the front brakes. I just ride supermotos all day in GPB so the rear brake was somewhat useful (amazing that downshift + rear brake works so well in GPB, first bike sim to incorporate that as far as I know).

robert

davidboda46

Quote from: Robert223 on April 12, 2016, 12:38:29 AM
Quote from: davidboda46 on April 12, 2016, 12:05:27 AM

Cheers,

/David "Gonzo" Boda #46
Holy cable-salad-batman.  :o How does it work? Did you set it up as counter-steering or steering into the turns?

robert

Yeah, I know, some people in this forum keep reminding me to wear rubber boots! :) I have set it up as counter-steering. Calibrated in gp-bikes so the steering range is reduced (to 0-22) and when the calibrating toll asks me to steer right I just steer left and vice versa. Basically the whole rig is made up out of three different controllers. The logitech dual gamepad-board on the left side us used for clutch (the "chain") and rider movement, the rebuilt Sidewinder FF Wheel (it is mounted upside-down) for steering, throttle and front brake (it uses the original pods from the pedal) and pedals for a my logitech G27 wheel for rear brake (the right pedal) and middle and left pedal for switching gears.   

Before I built this monster, I used to play with a X-box 360 wireless gamepad, right trigger - throttle, left trigger - front brake, left analogue stick - bike L/R and back for rear brake, right analogue stick - rider movement, left and right bumpers - gears.

Cheers,

/David "Gonzo" Boda #46
"THE EDGE... THERE IS NO HONEST WAY TO EXPLAIN IT BECAUSE THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO REALLY KNOW WHERE IT IS ARE THE ONES WHO HAVE GONE OVER"