• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 05, 2024, 08:54:36 AM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

Framerate problems

Started by rc211v, November 13, 2014, 03:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawk

I used overclockers on my last build quite a few years ago now......

I've already got a more than adequate graphics card for what I need in the ATI Radeon HD6950 2GB, it's just my other bits that are causing the bottleneck in speed.

Thanks for the advice DD and H. Appreciated guys!  ;)

Hawk.

matty0l215

I've got an AMD FX6300 and HD7950 and i get around 90-100 FPS with everything maxed but 3d grass turned off

Memory capacity/speed might cause an issue but nothing major. I've got 8gb @1600mhz of ram and when running i never hit 4gb of usage (~3.7 max)

Aria PC and Amazon are quite good for parts as well (between the two i built my current PC for £800)
For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

h106frp

Quote from: Hawk_UK on February 07, 2015, 05:30:13 PM
Quote from: HornetMaX on February 07, 2015, 12:11:36 PM
Quote from: Hawk_UK on February 07, 2015, 11:01:08 AM
Wow! I would love your frame rates(mine are at 10 - 33 FPS depending on what track and how many riders on circuit)
Ouch. How in hell do you manage to play at 10-30 FPS ?!?!?!

MaX.

Lol! With great difficulty when there is a full race grid of riders on a few of the more detailed circuits like Jerez, Suzuka, and for some reason Misano; they are all a virtual non-starter for me as was demonstrated in the last STK1000 champ race at Jerez.... All I could do in the end was to coast around until the end of the race(I didn't want to bail-out as that can cause others to core.exe).

Most other circuits are fine... Maybe not as smooth a frame rate as I'd like, but are very rideable even with a full race grid, but I must admit it is harder to see your braking and peel off points when the frame rate is low as well as being difficult to race very close to others.

Can't wait to get an upgrade: I'm only looking to upgrade my motherboard, memory(hopefully 32GB) and CPU(hopefully an i7); I will probably also get an SSD too. Any suggestions as to the best but not too expensive hardware and the best place to buy it? Probably around £700 budget mark.

Hawk.

You can save quite a bit by going i5, unless you have apps that really can hook into the extra cores of the i7 you do not get a lot of extra performance for gaming (real world apps) at the moment. You might need to budget for a decent heat sink, the stock intel ones are better than they used to be but i found mine (i5) was a bit less than marginal under the loads that a modern game puts on it.
2400 MHz memory is cheaper, runs cooler that the 2666 stuff and from the benchies i found pretty much maxes out the current intel memory controller bandwidth anyway.
Spend the saving on a good quality motherboard with a newer chipset (z97 for skt1150) and PSU, always the best investment in the long run.

doubledragoncc

All I can say from experience is go with ASUS ROG Rebublic of Gamers for what you can especially the motherboard, the overclocking is fantastic and onboard sound thats hard to beat with an addon card and causes less conflicts. They just sold over 500,000,000 boards so they are known for the quality and when it comes to gaming AND working the boards are hard to beat. They are not that expensive either. The MB is the body and the CPU the brain, but they need to work hand in hand and you really cant beat ASUS from most aspects of computing. Its worth you watching some reviews to understand exactly why I recommend them.

Either way best of luck with the build, what OS are you going for. Try Win10, you will be pleasantly surprised. It has a lil way to go but is far superior in its memory management and working with hardware. GPB run faster on 10 than my 7 Ultimate Enterprise 64bit!!! Its free to try and upgrade when finished. Just make another partition and it will dual boot to what OS you want.

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

matty0l215

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor  (£124.90 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£24.97 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard  (£57.54 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  (£52.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£43.98 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 290X 4GB TWIN FROZR Video Card  (£269.99 @ Aria PC)
Case: BitFenix Shadow ATX Mid Tower Case  (£54.98 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£66.99 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)  (£69.99)
Total: £766.33

OR

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£165.79 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£24.97 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£64.74 @ Aria PC)
Memory: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  (£52.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£43.98 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 290X 4GB TWIN FROZR Video Card  (£269.99 @ Aria PC)
Case: BitFenix Shadow ATX Mid Tower Case  (£54.98 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£66.99 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)  (£69.99)
Total: £814.41
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-07 20:55 GMT+0000

Both comparable but over budget :( (jesus i forgot how expensive Intel hardware is :o)

(Nvidia graphics cards also available :P)

HornetMaX

Quote from: Hawk_UK on February 07, 2015, 05:30:13 PM
Can't wait to get an upgrade: I'm only looking to upgrade my motherboard, memory(hopefully 32GB) and CPU(hopefully an i7); I will probably also get an SSD too.

• AMD CPU: no go. Same price, worse performance, larger power consumption. Unless you really really like red, I see zero point.
  • SSD is a must. Period. No discussion. Prices are just ridiculous for 128/256GB ones.
  • i7 really really not needed. i5 is plenty. Unless you plan to overclock it, just take a non-K version (non-overclockable, but of course cheaper).
  • An aftermarket CPU cooler is not a bad idea, it will make your PC quieter.
  • 16GB ram is plenty. Actually, you can even go along with 8GB. And don't fall for the high freq / tight timings ones ... you'll never see the difference (except in your wallet).
  • GPU: tight call between AMD and NVidia. Exactly which model depends on your budget and usage.  If you only need it for GPB, you don't need to go top-tier.
  • PSU: buy solid stuff, yuo'll never regret it. 550-650W is OK most of the times. Seasonic, Corsair would be my call, but you have other good models, just have to be careful (read reviews).
  • Screen: I have a 120Hz LCD and you'd have to meance of killing both my kids in order to force me to go back to 60Hz. It makes a hell of a difference and you'll keep it for years. G-sync and Free-Sync may change that soon but G-Sync is Nvidia proprietary (laughable) and has a steep overprice, while Free-sync is open standard but not here yet (first panel should appear in 1-2 months).

I'd wait for Win10 to be out: Win 8/8.1 is such a piece of crap to me I definitely don't want it.

All these guides are approved (and updated frequently):
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-recommendation-benchmark,3269.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-intel-amd-motherboard,3902.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/top-best-computer-monitors,3917.html

MaX.

h106frp

No doubt Intel have it at the moment, AMD are relying on software designed to use its architecture and it just does not seem to be happening, in an instructions/clock race it intel every time. Shame i was a big fan of AMD budget processors at one time.

AMD graphics cards draw ridiculous amounts of power, double check total power draw before you commit to a PSU. Not the best for OpenGL support either :(

The stock intel cooler is indeed noisy under load, quiet when idling though ;)

HornetMaX

Quote from: h106frp on February 07, 2015, 09:50:14 PM
No doubt Intel have it at the moment, AMD are relying on software designed to use its architecture and it just does not seem to be happening, in an instructions/clock race it intel every time. Shame i was a big fan of AMD budget processors at one time.
The fact they currently suck so much on CPUs is bad for all of us: Intel is slowing the innovation pace reently because they have zero competition (on Desktop I mean).
Anyway, for really really tight budget builds, some AMD CPUs are still OK. But you don't want to be in the really really tight budget category :)

AMD graphics cards draw ridiculous amounts of power, double check total power draw before you commit to a PSU. Not the best for OpenGL support either :(
Recent ones are not that bad wrt power.

The stock intel cooler is indeed noisy under load, quiet when idling though ;)
LOL !

MaX.

matty0l215

Quote from: HornetMaX on February 07, 2015, 09:21:18 PM

AMD CPU: no go. Same price, worse performance, larger power consumption. Unless you really really like red, I see zero point.[/li][/list]

Unless you really need the power, AMD is good, the extra power usage is negligible and for such a low budget that £50 can be better spent

HornetMaX

Quote from: matty0l215 on February 07, 2015, 10:11:02 PM
    Unless you really need the power, AMD is good, the extra power usage is negligible and for such a low budget that £50 can be better spent
    Which AMD CPU you're referring to ?

MaX.

Hawk

Thank you everyone here for your inputs and advice...... I'm definitely going for the intel CPU. It's just whether to go with an i5 or i7? Hmmm.. I'm not sure yet, I'll take a good look through Toms Hardware and do some comparisions and see which is best for the money and go with that; but I'm also looking for a lot of memory for handling big 3D files in Maya as my current 5GB is struggling, this is why I'm thinking of getting 32GB Ram; this will enable me to work on big files and have other apps working at same time like Photoshop and others so I can quickly switch between the apps when needed.

I've already got a good PSU(Corsair XL650W), had it for a good 6 years now and has never given me any problems..... I'm sticking with the same case I have. I will definitely go for "Windows 10" when it's finally released(might download the trial like DD just to test it out).

So basically I'm just looking to get on a £700(maybe more if needed) budget:

• Motherboard
    • Memory
    • CPU+cooler
    • SSD
    I'll use my current hard drive as a secondary data storage device to save loading up the SSD and keep the SSD for apps that will benefit from the extra speed.

I'll also keep my current graphics card and see how it holds up. If it struggles then I will replace it with a higher-end one. I fancy a Nvidia card but they are expensive compared to AMD Radeon cards; is there that much of a difference to warrant the extra expense of buying Nvidia?

Also I want as many cores in my CPU as possible as I also run Xplane 10 and it can use as many CPU cores as I can get(the more the better).  :)

Thanks for all the advice and links guys. I appreciate it!   ;)

Hawk.

doubledragoncc

Dont go the AMD CPU way or Radeon GPU. The future is Nvidea GTX if you follow software and hardware development you will know. I used to swear by AMD but have learnt over the years the reality in the difference. An i5 can push some very good Ghz and is less than the i7. You should also think about RAM speed, 1866 is nothing these days, look for 2400 and up, there are some good deals out there. I am sorry but real busy right now to look but if i find something I will let you know.
    You can also get fairly low priced CPU water coolers which are far poor efficient.  The larger the Case the cooler the system, a semi-passive cooling configuration can save money and keep your parts nice and cool.

Just remember that buying cheaper hardware will cost more in the long run, 4GB graphic cards with low clock speeds are one of the biggest cons, buy quality and save in the long run. If you dont get all at one time and concentrate on the heart of the system, you can get the rest after you have saved up again. In the long run you will have a system that will work better, last longer and in fact be cheaper over time.

I have been building computers for over 25 years (I'm definitely an old fart) and seen so many mistakes made with cheaper parts.

If you ever need to talk about stuff just give me a call, its easier to talk than try and type things most times. You can get me on 07766986981 any time. Its okay to post my number as its on my website and everywhere so here is no more worrying lol.

DD
    GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

doubledragoncc

Just saw your last post, yes Nvidia is working on some wicked tech and software houses program with Nvidia in mind even though they now own ATI lol.

DD

matty0l215

Quote from: HornetMaX on February 07, 2015, 10:38:19 PM
    Quote from: matty0l215 on February 07, 2015, 10:11:02 PM
    Which AMD CPU you're referring to ?

MaX.

FX8350... £50 less than Intel comparison (i5 4690k)

matty0l215

2400mhz ram is way overkill for gaming 1866 is more than adequate, esspecially taking price into account

If you've got £1000 to spend on a pc, go get an intel CPU and Nvida GPU but on a tighter budget AMD is still very strong and are very good for Price/Performance