• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 21, 2024, 05:38:49 AM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

tool for creating camera files?

Started by Vini, November 09, 2015, 08:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vini

which tool do I need in order to create new camera files for tracks?

RiccoChicco

Napalm Nick

"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

Vini

Vini

November 09, 2015, 09:34:10 PM #4 Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 09:39:06 PM by vin97
so is it possible to move a already existing camera with the mouse?

or better how to view your current coordinates?

Hawk

November 09, 2015, 10:24:53 PM #5 Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 10:27:07 PM by Hawk
Quote from: vin97 on November 09, 2015, 09:34:10 PM
so is it possible to move a already existing camera with the mouse?

or better how to view your current coordinates?
As far as I know it's not possible to move the camera with the mouse or key functions, I'm sure you have to alter the x,y,z co-ords manually to do that.  So best place the camera close to were you'd want it first. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.  ;)

There should be x,y,z, field boxes at the top of the edit camera window. Those are your current camera co-ordinates in virtual space. Play with the figures and you'll see what they do to the position of the camera, but only adjust the co-ordinate figures slightly or the camera will zoom off out of your sight. Lol

When you say how to view current co-ords? Did you mean view what the camera will see? For that come out of edit mode and right click camera and select "Test" from the sub menu.

Hawk.

janaucarre

for viewing the coordinates of each camera you can open the camera file in the track folder with a text editor like notepad

Vini

thanks hawk

wow, that program is a pain in the ass.

anyway, off to fallout 4 now :D

janaucarre

if i remember well you maintain x or z or y and move the camera with the mouse

Vini

i'm only using tracked for position and start/end points
notepad for the rest
seems to be faster lol

Hawk

Quote from: vin97 on November 10, 2015, 12:59:41 AM
i'm only using tracked for position and start/end points
notepad for the rest
seems to be faster lol

Actually if you use all functions on the camera editor it doesn't actually take that long to create a camera replay file. The hard part is making sure that the position/placing of each camera create a good flowing replay view when switching from one camera to the next. It's not an easy thing to do to get it right.
Then you have special effects like the zoom camera facility which can be adjusted for min/max zoom and field of view levels; again a hard thing to get the right effect rather than just closing in the zoom close-up all the time and missing any close action from another rider pushing from behind.

But just to say, that if your planning on creating replay camera sets to replace replay camera sets that are already part of tracks in the track download database, please ask permission from the track author first. Alternatively let me know, as I already have permissions to do what I want with a lot (not all) of the tracks in the database that we have the 3D source files for. Also I might be able to help you contact track authors. Thanks mate. ;) 8)

Great to see you working on learning this..... We need more people who can do good replay camera sets!  Keep at it mate! ;D 8)

Hawk.

Vini

Hmm, maybe I will get into it but I don't really understand how the FOV or autozoom works.
It's somehow not doing what I expect it to do :D
What settings should I use when I want close-ups?

Is it possible to place the camera exactly where you are currently floating and looking in tracked with some key?

Hawk

November 10, 2015, 11:10:59 PM #12 Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 11:12:59 PM by Hawk
Quote from: vin97 on November 10, 2015, 09:13:54 PM
Hmm, maybe I will get into it but I don't really understand how the FOV or autozoom works.
It's somehow not doing what I expect it to do :D
What settings should I use when I want close-ups?

Is it possible to place the camera exactly where you are currently floating and looking in tracked with some key?

Take a look at a track .tsc file that has Auto Zoom code in it and you'll get the idea, but best thing is to just play around with it and see what different zoom settings do. That way you will develop a feel for what you want.

To place a camera using "camera control" in TrackED, load the tracks .trp  file. Go to camera control - right click in the camera control window and select create camera set. Now right click on the newly created "camera set" and select edit. Now press your space bar, that should allow you to use your up-arrow key to move along the centreline of the track(you can adjust speed by turning your middle mouse wheel). When you get to the place you want to place a camera just press the space bar again to exit that mode and then you can use you arrow keys to move to the exact place you want to place your camera off track or trackside. Then select your camera type(I usually use "Normal"), then click at the place you want to place your camera. Done.
Now you can right click on the yellow camera ball and select edit; that will open your camera edit settings window. Play with those settings until you get the hang of what each one does. When you have finished creating the cameras just save the .tsc camera replay file into the track folder. Test replay camera in GPB until happy with the replay view and continuity of each switch from camera to camera around the track.

What I do is create one camera, save the camera replay file and then test it in GPB..... If I'm not happy with the camera view I'll go back into TrackED and Camera control and adjust position using the cameras x,y,z co-ords and other settings that need adjusting and then save the .tsc file again, then go back into GPB and review it again. I'll keep going through that cycle until I'm happy with the result of that camera. Only then will I create the next camera further along the track to work on. But all the time I'm thinking about the next best position to place the next camera for continuity and flow of the replay camera views as they switch from one camera to the next.  ;)

Hope that helps.

Hawk.

Vini

Thanks for that.

Quote from: Hawk on November 10, 2015, 11:10:59 PMthen click at the place you want to place your camera.
The problem I have with that is that clicking somewhere in front of you in 3D space is not very accurate.
I would like to go/fly to a specific position, look in a certain direction and then simply hit one key to save this as a new camera.
Do you know if this is possible?

Hawk

Quote from: vin97 on November 10, 2015, 11:21:05 PM
Thanks for that.

Quote from: Hawk on November 10, 2015, 11:10:59 PMthen click at the place you want to place your camera.
The problem I have with that is that clicking somewhere in front of you in 3D space is not very accurate.
I would like to go/fly to a specific position, look in a certain direction and then simply hit one key to save this as a new camera.
Do you know if this is possible?

Your right it's not very accurate. Being able to look down from above with ability to zoom into the position and then place the camera with a mouse click would've been a better way to do it, then all you'd have to do is adjust the Y(height) co-ordinate to get the correct height placement of the camera.

The way I place my camera is to just place it approximately were I want it in 3D space and then adjust the x,y,z, co-ords in the camera editor window of Camera control in TrackED. Just round the co-ord numbers off for easier adjustment and then only adjust by maybe .2, .3, or .4 each time or your camera will fly out of view. You do get the hang of it after a while and it's not such a pain to do.  :)
I think you can also use the co-ords from the main TrackED screen too to manually edit the camera placement co-ords through loading the .tsc file into notepad, but I personally prefer to use the camera control editor in TrackED.  :)

Hawk.