• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 03:59:36 AM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

How to get FPS to show on Screen?

Started by Hawk, August 28, 2015, 04:41:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawk

I'm pretty sure a lot of the frame rate problems with some tracks is down to all or most surfaces/objects in some heavy detailed tracks being counted unnecessarily in the collision detection model. That is a choice of the track author.

I remember JJ initially had everything counted as collision detectable at Hengalo, even down to the individual trees, bollards and straw bales, I mentioned it to him but not sure if not including all those objects in the collision detection model cured it or whether he did something else?

Basically at this time we only need the immediate surrounding terrain, track surface and barriers needing to be in the collision detection model; maybe later when Piboso has optimised everything we could stretch it a lot further.  :)

Though I would say that if someone has a very fast/powerful PC they probably wouldn't notice the frame rate drops so much on the problem circuits.

Hawk.

h106frp

Do the bikes have layered detail levels or are they draw at full detail level no matter what the distance away?

Napalm Nick

Not an answer to that question H but it made me think of something.

Remember when people say they have frame rate issues when close to another rider? (Personally I have not seen it). Could the size of the PAINT file be an issue? Just another thought as the sizes range from Kbs to Mbs. I have no idea whether PaintEd nullifies this when it packs them up or not.
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

Hawk

Quote from: h106frp on September 01, 2015, 02:48:15 PM
Do the bikes have layered detail levels or are they draw at full detail level no matter what the distance away?

To be honest, I have no idea, but at a guess with the way the modding procedure goes I would say no they don't have multiple detail levels depending on how far the bike is away from you, unless it's automatically built into GPB code, in which case we need info from Piboso to confirm or deny that.  :)

Quote from: Napalm Nick on September 01, 2015, 03:17:34 PM
Not an answer to that question H but it made me think of something.

Remember when people say they have frame rate issues when close to another rider? (Personally I have not seen it). Could the size of the PAINT file be an issue? Just another thought as the sizes range from Kbs to Mbs. I have no idea whether PaintEd nullifies this when it packs them up or not.

Yes Nick. I've often thought the same. I mean 16-25MB of paint file and if you get a few riders within viewing range, then that's a lot of processing power needed to render those textures as well as having to deal with rendering track and bike model details and textures.
In my opinion a 1-2MB paint file is quite adequate for GPB....... I greatly suspect it's for the guys who like to post and create screenshots who want high detail renderings?  :P

Hawk.

Blackheart

h106frp

Quote from: Napalm Nick on September 01, 2015, 01:06:06 PM
The
Quote from: h106frp on September 01, 2015, 12:56:07 PM
Could not resist the urge to press CTL-F  ;D

i5 and GTX750Ti anywhere between 80 an 120 fps on a few tracks i tried. Is my observation correct that the 'local' detail level seems to have very little impact on framerate ?

The framerate appears lowest when you are on an area of track that has a wide/long view to the horizon even if the detail level is quite low rather than a more enclosed area with a lot of local trackside detail.

I guess that the graphics engine does not reduce the level of detail for distant objects creating a large drawing load.

80-120 seems low to me mine is usually banging 190 (i5/ R270x/ Max in-game/ no .ini GFX tweaks)

Agree with the framerate drops on horizon views - this was the exact problem I was having at Hengelo where it dropped  to <20- JJ fixed it somehow.

I think you guess right - wasn't the track size limitation due to this engine drawing everything as one big blob?

As an aside, if anyone has a newer Nvidia card and wants max fps with very low overhead (online play maybe) you can enable (force) FXAA in the nvidia control panel for GPB.

This is the newer pixel based anti aliasing (blurring) used by the consoles, with this setting my game just constantly maxes the frame counter at 200fps   :o

It is not as good as the normal AA options :( and you do see quite a few jaggies on screen, but if you want a 'reasonable' view and low overhead it is quite an interesting technology.