• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 21, 2024, 04:44:06 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

MotoGP14

Started by HornetMaX, May 24, 2014, 01:11:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capeta

Quote from: WALKEN on July 19, 2014, 09:03:05 PM

I agree.

The problem is MotoGP is like a beautiful woman that the mainstream console market treats like a filthy whore.

MotoGP should be treated with the utmost respect! There are plenty of shitty sport game titles they can consolize...   

I call moto gp Madame :) and GPB is her husband :p

Stout Johnson

No disrespect intended here - but this is basically time trialling with live ghosts. I can understand to get addicted to this when having the competitive fire. But for me this wouldn't be fun to be able to race through opponents without crash dedection. Real racing also includes having to assess opponents, evaluating strengths and weaknesses, risk-controll as to not crash into each other, staggered braking, strategic overtaking etc... That's why I look forward to races in GPB (preferably 'onboard view only' races) because they have been the most intense, most realistic, most fun races I have ever experienced ;)
    -----------   WarStout Kawasaki Team   -----------

BOBR6 84

July 20, 2014, 10:34:40 PM #167 Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 10:42:29 PM by BOBR6 84
Iv been playing bike games since time began..lol but it was only 3 years ago give or take that I played a bike game online against other players.. It was SBK X on the xbox360!

I was hooked! It was great.. I played that alot and got quite good at it and the races on that were intense but very clean! Great close battles with collisions on! Being respectfull of other players and using race craft makes a racing game for me!

Looking back now the game itself isnt very good, but it provided solid leaderboards and good racing.

Since milestone took on motogp.. The leaderboards are a mess full of glitched times.. You cant race with collisions on because the detection system is drunk..

Thats why im not keen anymore.. The core values (for me) have been taken away!

Not too bothered now though since I bought a pc and have been jamming gpbikes!!! ;) the biggest difference for me is that even the learning curve for gpbikes is great fun/frustrating and very rewarding all in 1 hit.

I can spend hours messing around with setups just doing laps and not get bored lol.

I cant wait for the day we can get some online races going on gpbikes issue free.. ;-)

girlracerTracey

July 21, 2014, 12:04:16 AM #168 Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 12:37:37 AM by girlracerTracey
Quote from: Stout Johnson on July 20, 2014, 10:05:37 PM
No disrespect intended here - but this is basically time trialling with live ghosts. I can understand to get addicted to this when having the competitive fire. But for me this wouldn't be fun to be able to race through opponents without crash dedection. Real racing also includes having to assess opponents, evaluating strengths and weaknesses, risk-controll as to not crash into each other, staggered braking, strategic overtaking etc... That's why I look forward to races in GPB (preferably 'onboard view only' races) because they have been the most intense, most realistic, most fun races I have ever experienced ;)

We run collisions-off as the only sane & sensible option primarily because of internet "lag" across multiple international connections. We have players taking part from the U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Holland, Qatar, North America, Australia, New Zealand, U.S.A. and South America. It is virtually impossible to run a race without the "lag" effect mis-positioning other riders bikes on people's screens. Only a few feet out of position can cause "invisible" collisions that are only detectable after you have collided, despite there being clean air as it were between bikes on people's screens. It takes only one player to suffer pronounced lag in an online championship race with collisions on for it to turn into what we know in the trade as "headless chicken" time.  This can cause multiple crashes and wipe half the field out if you are unlucky during the course of a race. The gp500 pc game online community have to reluctantly do the same thing for exactly the same reasons. They now run races with collisions turned off also. Additionally it has to be admitted that the collisions model in Motogp13 and 14 was/is awful. If someone hits another bike from behind, accidentally or deliberately, the bike in front tends to crash and the bike that was behind sails on regardlesss. Whereas in real life if a front wheel collides with a rear wheel then the rear wheel almost always wins.. it's the reverse in motogp14 which is plain balmy!

I am intrigued. How do you guys expect to run online championships with collisions on across multiple international locations? Is it possible? Reliably and sensibly possible? I really hope it is because I prefer collisions on racing as well. With sane and experienced players. With idiots and "rammers" as we sometimes have in console land it can be an absolute and unmitigated nightmare..it really can! But I know you guys are not like that.

In reality collisions off racing is not just chasing ghosts because of the slipstream effect. We have riders finishing 0.5 of a second apart at the end of 40 minute races because of this. I was involved in a race tonight where the top 6 were separated by 2 seconds after 25 minutes of racing. Because of the slip-stream effect. But I agree wholeheartedly that collisions on racing with experienced racers who give due consideration to others is a much, much better option.

Question: What is the collisions model like in gpbikes? Is it accurate and realistic of real life racing do you honestly think?

Best to all, grT  ;)

Stout Johnson

Quote from: girlracerTracey on July 21, 2014, 12:04:16 AM
[...]it is virtually impossible to run a race without the "lag" effect mis-positioning other riders bikes on people's screens. Only a few feet out of position can cause "invisible" collisions that are only detectable after you have collided[...]
Yeah I know what you mean. The lag used to be a big problem in the early stages of GPB. When running close to each other one could see the bike running ahead jump up and down and all over the place. Lately it has become much more stable in terms of displaying the other bikes. There is still some lag involved, but if the other person does not suffer from a really bad ping, it is mostly not noticeable and you can do pretty close battles.

Actually, minor lags are just unavoidable. I wonder how Piboso does it? If there a lag, I assume the particular bike is just not being displayed for the extent of time of the lag. But if the bike re-appears and another bike is at the very position of the bike which just experienced a lag - what happens then? The answer to this would be very interesting, as it seemed to me that core.exe sometimes seem to be more likely when racing close to another bike - especially in much-used servers.

Additionally it has to be admitted that the collisions model in Motogp13 and 14 was/is awful.
Additionally it has to be admitted that the collisions model in Motogp has always been awful. :P

I am intrigued. How do you guys expect to run online championships with collisions on across multiple international locations? Is it possible? Reliably and sensibly possible?
Well we had a nice 500cc online championship in beta3/beta4 (moved to beta4 in the latter stages of the championship). Lag was a small issue, but only really a problem for guys from overseas with really bad pings. Otherwise it was possible. But it has to be admitted, due to the more challenging bike physics in GPB it is much much harder to even find 2 guys that run the same pace over numerous laps and therefore eventually have close battles. In the championship, a race pretty much was position battles over the first 3 laps, then the race position mostly reflected the skill level and it was good racing, but mostly seperated by more than 2, 3 seconds - so not really close battles. But close battles in GPB are also possible, you just need experienced guys. Close battles over many laps really only happen though, when doing 'onboard view only' races. Had epic battles with Warlock, Arvoss, Kerazo, JamoZ and some other guys.

I really hope it is because I prefer collisions on racing as well. With sane and experienced players. With idiots and "rammers" as we sometimes have in console land it can be an absolute and unmitigated nightmare..it really can! But I know you guys are not like that.
Well, you really need experienced guys. Guys have to be aware to be alert on the brakes or to change line when chasing someone closely in order to avoid crashing. People also have to have patience and not try to take every opportunity to overtake at all risks, just like irl. But it is so rewarding when having numerous clean overtakes in a battle over many laps w/o crashing.

Question: What is the collisions model like in gpbikes? Is it accurate and realistic of real life racing do you honestly think?
Actually it is really really good. It is very unforgiving, but well this is pretty realistic. I have experienced some small collisions/bumps in battles without falling. Imo, the collision model should be a tad bit more forgiving. Collisions like Pedrosa/Marquez in Barcelona this year would probably result in a crash in GPB. But overall, collisions model is already great.
    -----------   WarStout Kawasaki Team   -----------

girlracerTracey

Thanks Stout. That's encouraging and interesting feedback.

Just to be clear on this however I am not just talking about pronounced lag here, where other people's bikes appear to jump around on your screen, but also less pronounced lag and less severe lag. In many games this can still have a very detrimental effect if players are engaged in very close dicing during online races. Such low grade lag can and does cause problems in many online races. Basically as I touched in my earlier post bikes on your screen, due to the effects of lag, may not be positioned exactly where they appear to be on your screen. Others bikes might be a few feet in game away from where you think they are. This can cause unexpected collisions and concerns that players have caused deliberate collisions, or been riding recklessly, when in truth this isn't the case at all. People have been merely judging things from an unrepresentative display on their screens as to actually where bikes are positioned on the track in the race. If that makes sense!  :)   
This low grade lag effect can & does cause consternation and disagreements in the heat of online dices and battles. Accusations of poor sportsmanship can fly around at such times..

It is encouraging to hear however that this has not been, for whatever reason. a pronounced problem in the past on gpbikes..

What I am really interested in though is more feedback and insight from you guys on the characteristics and nature of the collisions model in gpbikes.  Predominantly my concern & interest is as to whether in collisions rear wheels win over front wheels in typical online collisions. If they don't, as they do not in motogp14, then in my honest opinion the collisions model is not as good as it should be..

Stout, are you able to reassure me in this respect?

Love and peace to the whole planet by the way! Sort yourselves out human race for goodness flippin' sake! (a comment not directed at people on this forum..)

grT  ;)

HornetMaX

Quote from: Stout Johnson on July 21, 2014, 10:24:37 AM
Actually, minor lags are just unavoidable. I wonder how Piboso does it? If there a lag, I assume the particular bike is just not being displayed for the extent of time of the lag. But if the bike re-appears and another bike is at the very position of the bike which just experienced a lag - what happens then?
What one typically does in these cases is that: the software will try to predict with all the info it has. As soon as it received an updated info, it will properly "update the prediction".

That's why when you observer laggy guys, sometimes you see the bike going for a little why in one direction and then change all of a sudden.

Of course, no matter how sophisticated your prediction algorithm is (and some are pretty complex), if the lag is too big, you'll see some jerky movements.

I am intrigued. How do you guys expect to run online championships with collisions on across multiple international locations? Is it possible? Reliably and sensibly possible?
In the italian championship the server was in italy (a real dedicated server with nice up and down bandwidth, not somebody hosting on his home PC) and I played from Scotland on ADSL (BT, for what matters) without any issue. My ADSL line was kinda good (decent ping, very good jitter), but nothing amazing. Within Europe, it's definitely possible.

Going transatlantic may be too much though.

MaX.

Warlock

July 21, 2014, 04:29:50 PM #172 Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 04:32:20 PM by Warlock
Honestly, best you can do is go online and race with some others, even practice session is good enough to check whatever you want.

Lag has not been a problem for me in GPB, close battles with no problems at all. Anyway, really close battles is a very dangerous thing if you don't wanna crash, just a little mistake of one of the riders and..... :P.  Due realistic physics (wobbles , wheeling, sliding) is better to keep a bit of distance if you want to finish the race without crashing. Thats the difference with a more arcade game that allow you touch each other without crashing. In GPB if you touch other guy 95% probabilities you crash.
This makes you ride and race with a different and smarter approach to racing (realistic imo). Wait for the favorable moment to overtake, wait for others mistakes, value the risks, study the front rider for few laps,  brake earlier than you would if you ride alone, just to prevent eating the front rider  ;D.

We have done many races before, and apart of known online issues, was real fun, heart pumping like a piston, almost to heart attack (seriously), without any lag issue.
We use to race with common sense, and hoping newcomers learn of our attitude . We are also a small community and we, more or less, know each other style of riding due very long practice sessions waiting for others when they crash, so we get used to ride in group. A very difficult thing though, so is better not to ride like a hero but with common sense. I remember many races with no overtakes at all, same fun, just putting pressure on the front rider until they crash, very common. I crashed hundreds of times due this factor, most times i prefer to give way to a faster rider behind me.

What i really really hate is losers, i mean , if i'm not in 1rst or 2nd position or if i crash in first lap, i quit the race and propose a poll for a restart  >:( >:( >:( , aarrrggrhhhh, kills me !
I won races that i crashed in the first corner and whole grid passed me, races are long enough for everyone to crash, and recover the lost gap.
I always finish races, i've been the last one many many times, that's what teach me how to ride in a race.

Kerazo

love to read that , this is what makes gp bikes so special to me to ride with all you guys :)

girlracerTracey

July 21, 2014, 04:48:52 PM #174 Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 04:51:42 PM by girlracerTracey
Quote from: Warlock on July 21, 2014, 04:29:50 PM
Honestly, best you can do is go online and race with some others, even practice session is good enough to check whatever you want.

Lag has not been a problem for me in GPB, close battles with no problems at all. Anyway, really close battles is a very dangerous thing if you don't wanna crash, just a little mistake of one of the riders and..... :P.  Due realistic physics (wobbles , wheeling, sliding) is better to keep a bit of distance if you want to finish the race without crashing. Thats the difference with a more arcade game that allow you touch each other without crashing. In GPB if you touch other guy 95% probabilities you crash.
This makes you ride and race with a different and smarter approach to racing (realistic imo). Wait for the favorable moment to overtake, wait for others mistakes, value the risks, study the front rider for few laps,  brake earlier than you would if you ride alone, just to prevent eating the front rider  ;D.

We have done many races before, and apart of known online issues, was real fun, heart pumping like a piston, almost to heart attack (seriously), without any lag issue.
We use to race with common sense, and hoping newcomers learn of our attitude . We are also a small community and we, more or less, know each other style of riding due very long practice sessions waiting for others when they crash, so we get used to ride in group. A very difficult thing though, so is better not to ride like a hero but with common sense. I remember many races with no overtakes at all, same fun, just putting pressure on the front rider until they crash, very common. I crashed hundreds of times due this factor, most times i prefer to give way to a faster rider behind me.

What i really really hate is losers, i mean , if i'm not in 1rst or 2nd position or if i crash in first lap, i quit the race and propose a poll for a restart  >:( >:( >:( , aarrrggrhhhh, kills me !
I won races that i crashed in the first corner and whole grid passed me, races are long enough for everyone to crash, and recover the lost gap.
I always finish races, i've been the last one many many times, that's what teach me how to ride in a race.

That all sounds pretty good to me Warllock. It really annoys me when people rage quit as well. I can only imagine that they haven't been out of the house in a while.. We had a guy do that in our league race last night on the second lap..just because he ran wide and incurred a time penalty. Silly moo!

With you all the way.

I think this is what I've been searching for to be honest. Sounds like more fun than clothes shopping that's for sure..well almost anyway.. 8)
Mind you clothes shopping with the right girls can be very exciting if the mood takes you..as I'm sure you would agree Warlock.  ;)

I cannot wait to be honest.

grT

JamoZ

Quote from: girlracerTracey on July 21, 2014, 04:48:52 PM
Mind you clothes shopping with the right girls can be very exciting if the mood takes you

Only if i can get to tag along in the fitting room...

Warlock

Quote from: JamoZ on July 21, 2014, 05:14:49 PM
Quote from: girlracerTracey on July 21, 2014, 04:48:52 PM
Mind you clothes shopping with the right girls can be very exciting if the mood takes you

Only if i can get to tag along in the fitting room...

Hahahaha, yes , obviously  ;D

WALKEN

Concerning the topic of lag you first need to discuss platform...

MGP14 runs on Xbl/raknet which are servers. Xbl is a different netcode to Raknet.  Lag can come down to many factors when considering these platforms...

Using/hosting a game through your own ISP address can cause a different lag. If your racing on GP1 16 players and I'm hosting the lobby we are all connected together through isp's and if someone has a weak ping it can cause lag...

With Xbl/Raknet the problems can be much much more involved...

I would think GPBikes works like I described through isp's as I can host my own server in GPBikes... Narrowing down the people with slow internet connections and only racing with people with good ping can improve everything....   
Help me, help you!

capeta

@girlracerTracey
So you don't ride on gpb online?
You 'll see a really good community i am a very bad driver and i have seen so many guys here kind enought to show me the correct line you must ride online on gpb :)

Hawk

Quote from: capeta on July 22, 2014, 09:51:34 AM
@girlracerTracey
So you don't ride on gpb online?
You 'll see a really good community i am a very bad driver and i have seen so many guys here kind enought to show me the correct line you must ride online on gpb :)

+1 ;)

Absolutely agree with you Capeta.

We are all very understanding here and know that those new or relatively new to GPB will have a running in period before they come up to speed when they come online to practice or race, and as Capeta said, we are all very helpful in trying to help each other whenever we can.  ;)

You should see me at the moment online trying to get to grips with riding fully manual under the great tuition from Klax; I'm not doing too bad, but I certainly feel like a fish out of water right now, but I'm sure with plenty of practice it will all start to come automatically instead of the information overload I'm feeling right now on track trying to control everything manually with the controller. Lol.

Hawk.

PS: I'm finding the benefits of fully manual control compared to having certain settings on auto are quite remarkable in stability of the bike and control of the bike. It's like it's a totally new and WAY better beta version of GPB altogether!  ;D