• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 10:04:31 AM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

IASystems Hs2 StreetFighter system

Started by doubledragoncc, March 15, 2016, 09:55:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HornetMaX

Quote from: doubledragoncc on April 20, 2016, 09:49:55 AM
HA..................I have the springs directly on the lever assy for that!!! Throttle I must think a bit about lol

My bad. Yes, if you can have the hall sensors directly on the levers, that would spare you some parts.

For the throttle: maybe you can keep your cable: it will move  a single magnet closer/farther to the hall sensor's face.
You will need to play with this a bit to find the right min/max distance (to have correct range, resolution, linearity), but in principle it should work fine.
@h106frp: ever tried this ?

I don't like the ebay throttle, it looks cheapo with respect to ddcc's system :)
Or there's the other option: mount the hall sensor+magnets inside the throttle (so that they work directly on the rotation).

doubledragoncc

Thats what I want for throttle directly on the inner tube you put the grip on. If I can put the magnets on the  disc part where the cable hooks in so it measures the rotation. Setup is like for speed sensor and not in the middle of the magnets. All inside the throttle housing!!!

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

doubledragoncc

The other problem using hall sensor pots is that the P260 is only 13mmx13mm housing so is real small for my MTE. A home made hall pot would be far bigger.

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

h106frp

You need to work to the strengths of the device, for the throttle what about using the other end of the throttle tube overhanging the bar tube as the magnet carrier, sensor in a plug in the bar end, all covered by the grip and the wires running down the bar tube. The throttle return spring could then be hidden in the normal end, an extension spring wrapped around the throttle pull drum.

I have not used them in linear gap mode only rotational field angle, as you indicated, in a linear gap sensing arrangement the field is non-linear with distance (square law). The device itself is linear within +-2.5%, probably better than most 'linear' pots  ;)

HornetMaX

Quote from: h106frp on April 20, 2016, 11:04:40 AM
The throttle return spring could then be hidden in the normal end, an extension spring wrapped around the throttle pull drum.
That doesn't look trivial though. I'd be happy with DD current setup for the throttle spring (cable+spring), but with a hall sensor.
If the sensors for the levers can be placed directly on the levers, that's good.

I have not used them in linear gap mode only rotational field angle, as you indicated, in a linear gap sensing arrangement the field is non-linear with distance (square law).
Actually I think in "linear mode" (e.g. magnet facing the sensor face and moving away from the sensor / towards the sensor), the dependency is on 1/d^3.
Still, that may not be a big problem, there are many ways to correct this (assuming the correction is needed at all).

Anyway, in rotation mode you have a sinusoidal dependency, because the sensor measures only the component of the field that is orthogonal to the sensor face: as your magnets rotate around the sensor, that component varies as cos(angle).

If you have your sensor and magnets at hand, you could just do a simple test (fix the sensor, measure the output tension, then move the magnet with your hand closer/farther to the sensor).

doubledragoncc

Yep and thats the truth of it. Gotta have the parts in my hands to test.

Thanks for all your help guys. I will sort out money for paypal via a neighbor on Friday and order the parts. Need hardware and paint too so is all good.

Just wiring the foot controls for first test of full Hs2 system tonight.

DD

h106frp

April 20, 2016, 11:47:13 AM #96 Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 11:54:14 AM by h106frp
Quote from: HornetMaX on April 20, 2016, 11:20:20 AM
The throttle return spring could then be hidden in the normal end, an extension spring wrapped around the throttle pull drum.
That doesn't look trivial though. I'd be happy with DD current setup for the throttle spring (cable+spring), but with a hall sensor.
If the sensors for the levers can be placed directly on the levers, that's good.

I have not used them in linear gap mode only rotational field angle, as you indicated, in a linear gap sensing arrangement the field is non-linear with distance (square law).

Actually I think in "linear mode" (e.g. magnet facing the sensor face and moving away from the sensor / towards the sensor), the dependency is on 1/d^3.
Still, that may not be a big problem, there are many ways to correct this (assuming the correction is needed at all).

Anyway, in rotation mode you have a sinusoidal dependency, because the sensor measures only the component of the field that is orthogonal to the sensor face: as your magnets rotate around the sensor, that component varies as cos(angle).

If you have your sensor and magnets at hand, you could just do a simple test (fix the sensor, measure the output tension, then move the magnet with your hand closer/farther to the sensor).

The arrangement with the magnet rotating around the sensor is a bit different, the field passes though the sensor at a fixed distance but if i get a chance i will unplug one of mine and try and get a plot of rotor angle/output voltage. From memory it was pretty good but for my application of servo feedback it was not very important.

HornetMaX

Looks like you screwed the quote h106frp :)

h106frp

Thank you  ;)

Had a quick look and the new sensors out are quite incredible, fully programmable, digital or analogue outputs and 2D/3D position sensing all for £2.50 (pack 10) in a 4 pin package. No wonder the older devices are being discontinued.

http://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/Micronas/HAL3726DJ-A/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvhQj7WZhFIACDIEknn%2ftHt%252bK7k3K3ZAWO0XfQBSJiqsg%3d%3d

HornetMaX

Quote from: h106frp on April 20, 2016, 11:47:13 AM
Quote from: HornetMaX on April 20, 2016, 11:20:20 AM

The arrangement with the magnet rotating around the sensor is a bit different, the field passes though the sensor at a fixed distance
The distance doesn't change in the rotating arrangement, but the angle between the magnetic dipole and the sensor does change, hence the cos(angle) dependency.
The (old) sensor only measures the field perpendicular to the sensor face.

HornetMaX

Quote from: h106frp on April 20, 2016, 12:05:03 PM
Thank you  ;)

Had a quick look and the new sensors out are quite incredible, fully programmable, digital or analogue outputs and 2D/3D position sensing all for £2.50 (pack 10) in a 4 pin package. No wonder the older devices are being discontinued.
If you look at the video, the HAL37 can be used for linear movements too.
Seems to be OK for 30mm movement (not shure what's the movement for throttle in dd's system).

http://www.mouser.co.uk/new/micronas/micronas-HAL-37xy-sensors/

doubledragoncc

Good find. Problem is with my electronic knowledge=0 I need 3 pin input only!!! I do not want to have to add additional electronics to use a hall sensor. The BU0836 needs direct connect only. The sensor in the video and links has 4 connectors???

DD

HornetMaX

Quote from: doubledragoncc on April 20, 2016, 01:30:50 PM
Good find. Problem is with my electronic knowledge=0 I need 3 pin input only!!! I do not want to have to add additional electronics to use a hall sensor. The BU0836 needs direct connect only. The sensor in the video and links has 4 connectors???
The 4th pin is unneeded (test stuff), you can use it as a 3pin.
But that new sensor is a bit more complex than the old one (because it can do much more), so if you're not comfortable with electronics and similar stuff, it may be a no-go for your purpose.
You'll have to program it to get full benefit of its features. Might be tricky for you.

@h106frp: just seen a data sheet on the micronas site: you can program the linarisation curve directly in the sensor :)

doubledragoncc

I might be old but I can still learn lol.

Great reply Max thanks.

Worth buying one to play with.

DD

I am getting a lot of interest in the system for consoles but I can do it rewiring a gamepad to an extent but I dont know if cronus max would do it or the M4, you guys know anything about that?

h106frp

Have you tried plugging Leos board into an xbox? the xbox controller is only a small variant of the standard USB HID. If it is recognised then the PS converter should work as well