• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 03, 2024, 05:02:46 AM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Beta 8 Event 1 | Murasama Cup race | 3 Day event | WINNER - DAVIDE74 | COMPLETE

Started by Napalm Nick, February 19, 2016, 11:15:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Napalm Nick

Quote from: vin97 on February 21, 2016, 09:40:38 PM
Maybe I miss something completely but why are the replay files even so large??

Simply logging all the user inputs should not create such large files.

I wouldn't like to guess why I don't understand how this magic is performed. But I do know that on a Dynamic track or in Wet weather the replay files can be 4 times as big!  Not many buffers can record all that information, we rarely got full dynamic or wet replays before.
When you think about the netcode problems that are exacerbated on Dynamic tracks then realise the data transfer to each client might actually run into Gigabytes as time progresses then its easy to see wh we are having such netcode problems.
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

Warlock

Quote from: Blackheart on February 21, 2016, 10:03:10 PM
Sorry, but I have participated in all the events organized ... the restart are not a problem.  ;)

Its a problem for those who did a good start the first time and crash the second start, its not fair. Also the core problem won't dissapear, the second time a bunch of others will have a core crash anyway.

Hawk

Quote from: Warlock on February 21, 2016, 09:36:51 PM
no offense m8, but he did a good job. We've been there before many times (ask PeterV), and this is the way it should be managed. 
Race restarts is a real mess, trust me.
I'm telling you this , and i was the first one who got the core.exe at starting grid.  ;)

Sorry, but I have participated in all the events organized ... the restart are not a problem.  ;)
Actually restarts do seem to promote even more regular core.exe problems. Server restarts are the only thing that really helps after regular core.exe crashes but that is not really practical for events, especially when at this time it's a job to even get connected.   :)

Hawk.
PS: Warlock has been around since the beginning, I'm sure he fully realises the issues.  ;)

r1rossi

it kills me to state this... aggain i cannot make it.. i was being competitive here to which is what kills me most..

I cannot connect and my area has a crazy snow storm and weather coming so i can imagine power outs etc..

If i can make it on i wll 100% let you all know ;(

hope everyone has a great race

Vini

February 21, 2016, 10:28:14 PM #199 Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 10:37:12 PM by vin97
But even on NDS tracks the replay files are already way larger than they should be.
What is GP Bikes sending? Real-time 3D models or what??
No other multiplayer game I know is using such a high bandwidth.

Quote from: Warlock on February 21, 2016, 10:10:31 PM

Its a problem for those who did a good start the first time and crash the second start, its not fair. Also the core problem won't dissapear, the second time a bunch of others will have a core crash anyway.
If we had a strict rule where we always have a restart as soon as one person gets jumpstart/core.exe, simply staying still on the grid at the start when you see a red message appear in the chat (because the bugs occur just before you engage the clutch) would get rid of that problem (which I also see as one).

Napalm Nick

But we will be there all night lol and in my experience the more restarts you have the more instability we induce which is why we chose the 3 strikes and you are out limit but sometimes that causes innocent people to core who were ok the first two time lol. I think taking it on the chin and kicking the cat is the best way. Somedays you core somedays you wont.

But of course I agree its frussssstratinggggg.

Tonights race (and the re-connection problems) was particularly tricky to risk a restart.

In the future we will stick to the 3 restart rule where possible OK.

How was the server for connecting this evening by the way? I didn't see the problems we had earlier in the weekend ? Maybe hitting it with that hammer worked...
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

Vini

February 21, 2016, 11:07:34 PM #201 Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 11:10:33 PM by vin97
Hmm, but then maybe define a number for every race as the maxmimum number of jumpstarts for which there will be no restart?
I just think it should be completely clear whether the race is going to count at the start of it.
If it will be restarted, you should know it before you start accelerating.
Thankfully, it's easy to spot those red chat messages we all fear, even when you are concentrating on your bike or the lights.

nuovaic

There is no easy answer to this, unless Piboso has a sudden euraka moment and fixes it ::) Perhaps in the meantime, we should all vote on it. Make it a hard and fast rule, whatever the decision, for all races, then our beloved race organisers will not have the responsibilty and associated stress in dealing with the inevitable fallout. Peter in many previous races and now Nick have both taken too much on the chin to be healthy. I'm not getting at anyone, I know what it feels like to be on the receiving end of a crap race day core nasty, not nice. But we are all adults here eh? Racers need to take it on the chin as well.

seems to me the choices are
1. No restarts whatsoever
2. Only restart if a certain percentage core.
3. Restart if anyone  cores.

Personally I would vote 1. Server stability is most imortant, but so is all our time. Constantly restarting can put the finish time beyond us old buggers bedtime. And I like me sleep ::)

If, even after umpteen warnings from our race organiser, you move on the startline grid, then I really don't think that should be a reason to restart.

Blackheart

I was pissed off, because I was fast tonight and wanted to race! >:( >:( >:(

#F**k the core.exe

Warlock

February 22, 2016, 01:51:31 AM #204 Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 01:55:29 AM by Warlock
Quote from: nuovaic on February 21, 2016, 11:53:00 PM
There is no easy answer to this, unless Piboso has a sudden euraka moment and fixes it ::) Perhaps in the meantime, we should all vote on it. Make it a hard and fast rule, whatever the decision, for all races, then our beloved race organisers will not have the responsibilty and associated stress in dealing with the inevitable fallout. Peter in many previous races and now Nick have both taken too much on the chin to be healthy. I'm not getting at anyone, I know what it feels like to be on the receiving end of a crap race day core nasty, not nice. But we are all adults here eh? Racers need to take it on the chin as well.

seems to me the choices are
1. No restarts whatsoever
2. Only restart if a certain percentage core.
3. Restart if anyone  cores.

Personally I would vote 1. Server stability is most imortant, but so is all our time. Constantly restarting can put the finish time beyond us old buggers bedtime. And I like me sleep ::)

If, even after umpteen warnings from our race organiser, you move on the startline grid, then I really don't think that should be a reason to restart.

You know what we are talking about John, been there so many times.
My vote is for no restarts.

By the way, the jump start thing is a work for Piboso. I never seen in real life a rider out of the race for a jump start. In GPB should be the same, a ride through penalty, instead of directly to the garage.
Anyway ,I missed several races due a jump start, that made me train the starts before the races so i learnt how to avoid those mistakes. It will make us better racers, and events will be more "professional" and exciting.
I can assure , this way you will enjoy a lot more the race events, where adrenaline explode out of your ears due the realistic feeling.
We did prove this many time ago (back in beta 4 or 5),.. i almost died every weekend due a heart attack on the startline.  ;D 

Even better, the way PeterV organized his events, with warmup lap and sight lap, amazing !

Hawk

Personally I agree with you nuovaic, in that there should be no restarts whatsoever, with one exception only: If 90% of the grid crash in a pileup at the start or first corner that makes the race virtually a dead dog to continue. That would also include no exceptions for anyone, not even event organisers or server admins, what's good for one is good for all, right.  That way everyone knows where they stand before they go online. ;)

Hawk.
PS: I connected to your server okay tonight Nick. Seems whatever you did sorted something out..... Unless I was just lucky? Lol  :-\ ;D

Blackheart

No restarts means losing half of the players (including myself of course). Proposal nonsense, but very funny!  ;D

Napalm Nick

No restarts is ideal but we will have to wait for a game improvement to make that reasonable.

Stick at 3 like we have done for the last 50 or so club races, then everyone knows what to expect and can just have a small cry in the corner if they don't get off. The club races are designed to get the most people to race/most fun as possible. Other peoples races can make their own decision.

We used to always do a Warm-up lap and I would prefer the whole warm-up/sighting lap fun but it was binned. Why? For exactly the same reason - 3 restarts = 3 warm up laps = people shouting in the chat "Just start the fuckin race" or leaving and venting off.  This will only work when you get regular riders who know what the feck to do. We had new people every race and it was too annoying every race.

And I created a ton of data to help:
Index
Start Guide
Rules

but ultimately everyone just signs up without taking the time to read it / can't understand it due to language barriers etc.

I have been thinking about an 'induction' session for new club members now for a looooonnng time but until we regularly have +25 riders its wasted effort.

Another thing is that at a race restart I am often concentrating more on other peoples starts than my own, often ruining my opening lap, and the best way for me to know if the race needs restarting would be not to race and just spectate it. That would get boring pretty fast for me and is against the 'fun for everyone' ethos of the club.

So if it is OK with you guys I would like to remain at - 3 restarts maximum for any Club event from now. A restart will occur if ANYONE jumps/cores but only TWICE. Always remember - Somedays it will ruin your race, somedays it will save your race.

People will have to realize that other peoples races/championships etc may have different rules of course.

doubledragoncc

My first race in 6 years was cut short as I was sent to the pits for a jump start I did NOT make MYSELF. With the clutch fully engaged as soon as you shift into gear the bike creeps forward!!! Dont do it in pit lane so why on the start grid. Jump starts should be stopped until this is fixed!!!

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

Blackheart

Well this is a Piboso big fail ... what it costs to put an option instead disqualify, give +5 seconds to the final time of the race or something like that?