• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 02, 2024, 11:50:00 AM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

What is going on with UK used bike prices?

Started by h106frp, August 02, 2016, 08:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stout Johnson

I totally agree. The new emissions standards stuff is just a welcome excuse to dump some models that were not selling well lately anyhow. The time of the superstock bikes has passed, there isn't much of a market anymore for them. Maybe we'll see the R6 for a couple of more years if Yamaha should decide to take the effort to adjust the engine. But most likely not, since I would assume that those 600cc would lose a particularly high percentage of hp with adaption to Euro 4 standards.

But again, for some models it is just a welcome excuse and does make a better explanation marketing-wise than acknowledging that a certain model just was not succesful. For example Aprilia recently announced that they'd dump their V2 Dorseduro models due to probems with adoption to Euro 4. But I think it is a safe bet they would have discontinued those bikes soon anyhow.

@Matty: The new Ducati Supersport could be what you might be looking forward to. From what I hear it should also be relatively reasonably priced (I heard ~12k).
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/2016/july/ducati-supersport-in-detail/
    -----------   WarStout Kawasaki Team   -----------

HornetMaX

Well, if some models are not selling enough, one can hardly blame the constructors for dropping them. Nor the euro4 rules.

Quote from: Stout Johnson on August 12, 2016, 07:56:17 AM
@Matty: The new Ducati Supersport could be what you might be looking forward to. From what I hear it should also be relatively reasonably priced (I heard ~12k).
A reasonably priced Ducati would be something never seen in the past 10 years :)
But a more resonable sport bike could be an interesting option.

matty0l215

Oh no, you can't blame a manufacturor for dropping a bike thats not selling, thats business. Euro 4 gave a good reason for them to cut the bikes without uproar.

It would happen eventually anyway.

Another reason for someone like me not having an exotic bike  (even if cheap to buy) is insurance. Currently on an 1000cc sport bike it is over £1500 for me to be covered. (£400 on my daytona with an alarm imobislieser) and it doesn't massivly drop if i went to any other type of bike. It's my age and where i live
For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

HornetMaX

Quote from: matty0l215 on August 12, 2016, 01:36:12 PM
Another reason for someone like me not having an exotic bike  (even if cheap to buy) is insurance. Currently on an 1000cc sport bike it is over £1500 for me to be covered. (£400 on my daytona with an alarm imobislieser) and it doesn't massivly drop if i went to any other type of bike. It's my age and where i live
And the fact the insurance companies know all too well you britons do like road racing :)

matty0l215

More because they are thieving bastards who assume every under 25 year old is out until 1am riding a group, upsetting the locals and stealing other bikes or are with almost certainty going to rap the bike round a tree... but hey-ho :P
For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

doubledragoncc

Sounds like a normal Friday night for bikers to me Matty lol  ;D

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

HornetMaX

Confirmed in France too, CBR600 is going to disappear. 100-something units sold last year, Euro4 coming = bye bye.

Grooveski

I'm kinda surprised the sports 600 class has lasted as long as it has.  The 400 market basicaly outpriced itself and in recent years the 600s have reached the same level of spec(nicer kit because it's newer but you get what I mean).
...and the prices have risen constantly as a result.
The first 600s were only 1.5 times or so the power of a 400, now they're over 2 times.  They had conventional forks and now they mostly run Ohlins U/D numbers.  Same kind of "give folk what they want - not what they can afford" mentality.

...and then there's the stuff they don't even want - but the racers do.
Slipper clutches that aren't functional as standard, fancy electronics...
...and ABS.  I've nothing personaly against ABS - was probably a good idea in the 80s but tyres and brakes are a lot better these days, it's a long time since I've locked the front on anything but a dirt bike.
...and if I want to lock the back - that should be my prerogative.   :P  Been riding since I was 10 and on the odd occasion that I've locked the back on the road the puff of smoke in the mirror has only served to lightened the mood of whatever little scare I've just had.  :)

Grooveski

Hell - I'm off on a rant now.   ::)

Personaly if I were buying a new bike(which I never have and likely never will) I'd trade a slipper clutch and ABS for longevity anyday.  It doesn't take much - the Guzzi that I mentioned earlier is a prime example.  Hottest bike they'd built in donkeys years but they didn't shy away from the weight of a stainless exhaust.

...and braidied hoses.  Why hasn't every bike for the last 30 years left the factory with braided hoses?   ???

I'll bet this box has a few horror stories in it.   :P

HornetMaX

Quote from: Grooveski on August 30, 2016, 12:09:04 AM
...and braidied hoses.  Why hasn't every bike for the last 30 years left the factory with braided hoses?   ???
Because in normal road use a non-braided hose will do the job just fine :)

doubledragoncc

Have to say your wrong Max. On a race bike you may have speed but you DONT have assholes who dont care in cars on the road with you!!!!
On the road you dont want a used rubber hose splitting or over expanding due to age when some dickhead pulls out in front of you, so you want braided hoses that make the brakes function better as they wont expand due to age!!!
I was a medical courier on a bike and always changed my brand new bikes lines to braided to KNOW at least my brakes were getting all the pressure I wanted from them. As a tech for over 35 years, I have seen too many old rubber lines that would kill you if you ever really needed your brakes but many dont care or just think its not important, it IS more important on a road bike than a race bike!!!

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

HornetMaX

I disagree. On a road bike the hoses are stressed for good only on extremely rare occasions, while on a race bike it is more or less at every braking spot. Max pressures on (most) road bikes are likely less than on race bikes. The problem you mention (which is a real one) is not the non-braided hose: it's the fact than when it's too old/in bad shape, you need to replace it. Braided hoses are mostly sold for road use because they look cool.

doubledragoncc

Seriously Max!!!

That is so wrong. I have sold hundreds of braided hoses in my life and maybe 5% was a "looks" thing. Fine a new hose is okay, but a used bike over 5 years old should have new rubber hoses at least, not old. Rule of thumb by a professional mechanic is replace rubber hoses every 4-5 years!!!

I ran workshops for Honda and Suzuki and I think I know a wee bit about what I am saying.

DD

HornetMaX

Quote from: doubledragoncc on August 30, 2016, 08:22:05 AM
Seriously Max!!!

That is so wrong. I have sold hundreds of braided hoses in my life and maybe 5% was a "looks" thing. Fine a new hose is okay, but a used bike over 5 years old should have new rubber hoses at least, not old. Rule of thumb by a professional mechanic is replace rubber hoses every 4-5 years!!!

I ran workshops for Honda and Suzuki and I think I know a wee bit about what I am saying.
But I totally agree with you on the fact one should replace the rubber hoses every 4-5 years (or when no longer fit), it's exactly what I wrote. The problem is not a rubber hose, it's an *old* rubber hoe.

Grooveski

Thing is though, how many bikes do get fresh hoses every 5 years?  The last 4 I've had all came with 10-15 year old original hoses and 3 of those were on the road and MOT'd.

Has to be said, I'm a bit fussy about my brakes.   ::)  The zxr has bigger calipers, sinstered pads, braided hoses and an RCS19 m/c but it's not just about braking ability - and not at all about show - it's mainly about feel and ease of use and those are relevent anywhere.  I don't regret the half grand it took to get there and appreciate the difference even when I'm trickling to a stop at traffic lights.

A mate was laughing just the other night when he saw the test mockup for the wee dirt bike.   ;D

One pull of the lever though and the giggles faded to an "ooooh - niiiice!"(it's his old bike that the caliper came from).
Hard to believe that a BN125 caliper would match so well with Brembo radial m/c from an R1.  Only has a quarter of the pistons but being a floater always did need a fair bit of juice.  The original m/c wasn't particularly small - was just crap.

The hose is a secondhand rear off a Triumph Sprint - just happened to be the right length(£7 well spent). 
Triumph do fit braided hoses to everything as standard.   :)