• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 07, 2024, 07:37:58 AM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

Autoreset option

Started by Blackheart, March 06, 2016, 11:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dareaper46

March 08, 2016, 02:27:33 PM #15 Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 02:29:21 PM by dareaper46
I don't know how many played SBK2001. That was one of my favorite bike games of all time.

Anyway, EA Sports used a system there(If Enabled) where you have to run to the bike where it has crashed... Like Hawk has mentioned in the above post.

I believe 'hardcore mode' or not, that would be our best solution considering this is a sim.

Falling will then mean you have some sort of penalty for making a mistake and loosing time in a way that makes more sense than seeing your bike lay on the ground with the rest of the field just screaming their way past you. Just as Hawk mentioned the running to your bike when crashing it struck me, that... that infact would be our best option.

I can't see much going wrong with that. For people who thinks its too hardcore. I would simply ask WHY? Because everytime you crash you have to run to your bike? Mmmmm well, we are already waiting for reset when bikes are 1km away.

EDIT:

Adding on to that, I think the running to bike when crashing should be the 'normal' setting/option. And IF there was to be a respawn option it would be for the more arcade-like crowd of people.

doubledragoncc

DUDE I got taken out so much in last race, right on first corner had NO chance and it sucked!!! Oh and I think Boerenlater parked his front wheel in my bottom too lol.

It is hard on you if you get knocked off by someone (like me) who is learning and you must then be out of the race. Could there be a way to make such events NOT count and you can carry on, but not the one who knocked you off? In a sim some compromise MUST be made to be fair.

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

Napalm Nick

Quote from: dareaper46 on March 08, 2016, 02:27:33 PM
I don't know how many played SBK2001. That was one of my favorite bike games of all time.

hehe! You sound just like me !  ;D

Do a search for SBK2001 and you will find a lot of talk on it here hehe.
This exact discussion too lol.

Still the game GPBikes has to beat!

"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

HornetMaX

Quote from: Hawk on March 08, 2016, 02:13:55 PM
The safe zone would were the min/max line is positioned but relative to were the crash occurred but the rider would respawn on that min/max line. Obviously the min/max line would be placed(edited) during track authoring to a safe position out of the way of the racing pack of riders.
Hawk, if you allow instant respawn on track, even if out of the best line, you always have the risk of a rider being off the best trajectory and seeing a bike appear all of a sudden in front of him. How do you handle this ? You ask everybody to ride only on the best line ?!

I'd be all for letting the bike respawn were it stops in the aftermath of the crash so long as a solution for the bike being behind a barrier or a place that would make it difficult for the rider to get back on track in the aftermath of an accident was found, but I think a solution for that problem would be pretty difficult to solve as there could be so many different places and situations that would need accounting for in code that Piboso would be forever updating it.
In fact the "respawn where it stops" is the simplest to put in place as there's very little to do on PiBoSo's side. It's just respawn where it stops (which was already in place in one of the past betas) and disregard checkpoints during races. Nothing else. Maybe double check that timing is not screwed if intermediates are skipped, but if there's a problem here, it's already there today (so that's irrelevant to our discussion).

You have to remember that we will have road race tracks as well as dedicated racing circuits, and in road race tracks there will be so many places a rider could have difficulty getting back on track if the rider was respawned at the place the bike came to rest after an accident. I just think you'd be creating a lot of unforeseen problems Max that would be very difficult to solve to make it reliable.
Show me a few examples, cause really I can't see the issue here. You can always walk the bike.

Worst scenario I can see: you have a 300Kmh crash, bikes goes up in the air and falls behind a stand/wall/truck/whatever and you can't get back on track. Too bad: ESC and back to the pits.

dareaper46

GP500 + SBK2001 was my drug.

Onboard view on SBK2001 was still something unprecedented today. I actually tried to look for a graphics overhaul mod for SBK2001 last week, but saw there was nothing :(.

Anyway, I really reckon the running to crashed bike sounds awesome.

Napalm Nick

What are we on now 2016...hmmm not come very far have we.
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

Hawk

March 08, 2016, 03:15:39 PM #21 Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 04:16:03 PM by Hawk
Quote from: HornetMaX on March 08, 2016, 02:46:13 PM
The safe zone would were the min/max line is positioned but relative to were the crash occurred but the rider would respawn on that min/max line. Obviously the min/max line would be placed(edited) during track authoring to a safe position out of the way of the racing pack of riders.
Hawk, if you allow instant respawn on track, even if out of the best line, you always have the risk of a rider being off the best trajectory and seeing a bike appear all of a sudden in front of him. How do you handle this ? You ask everybody to ride only on the best line ?!

Your obviously totally misunderstanding my concept with the editable min/max line respawn Max...... The min/max line positioning would be edited so that the respawn position at the min/max line would be off the track surface, therefore you would not have the bike respawning or appearing like magic on the track surface at all. The rider would have to ride back onto the track surface from the point of respawn off track. You could literally edit the min/max lines so that they more or less follow the trackside barriers well off the track surface. :)

Quote from: HornetMaX on March 08, 2016, 02:46:13 PM
I'd be all for letting the bike respawn were it stops in the aftermath of the crash so long as a solution for the bike being behind a barrier or a place that would make it difficult for the rider to get back on track in the aftermath of an accident was found, but I think a solution for that problem would be pretty difficult to solve as there could be so many different places and situations that would need accounting for in code that Piboso would be forever updating it.
In fact the "respawn where it stops" is the simplest to put in place as there's very little to do on PiBoSo's side. It's just respawn where it stops (which was already in place in one of the past betas) and disregard checkpoints during races. Nothing else. Maybe double check that timing is not screwed if intermediates are skipped, but if there's a problem here, it's already there today (so that's irrelevant to our discussion).

You have to remember that we will have road race tracks as well as dedicated racing circuits, and in road race tracks there will be so many places a rider could have difficulty getting back on track if the rider was respawned at the place the bike came to rest after an accident. I just think you'd be creating a lot of unforeseen problems Max that would be very difficult to solve to make it reliable.
Show me a few examples, cause really I can't see the issue here. You can always walk the bike.

Worst scenario I can see: you have a 300Kmh crash, bikes goes up in the air and falls behind a stand/wall/truck/whatever and you can't get back on track. Too bad: ESC and back to the pits.

That is exactly what I'm talking about, and if your going to allow respawn in a race then it would be a little unfair for those that are unfortunate enough to find themselves in situations like that to have to escape back to the pits and race over, don't you think?
Walk the bike? Are you kidding me? Lol. Can you imagine being in that situation behind a barrier or whatever and not knowing which way or exactly were you'd be able to get back on track? You might as well just bail-out of the race altogether.

Best thing would be to just give us the hardcore option too so those of us that want a more realistic scenario don't have to deal with the Arcady Kamakazi promoting side of GPB at all. Leave that to the boys.  :P

Hawk.

davidboda46

Quote from: dareaper46 on March 08, 2016, 02:48:09 PM
GP500 + SBK2001 was my drug.

Onboard view on SBK2001 was still something unprecedented today. I actually tried to look for a graphics overhaul mod for SBK2001 last week, but saw there was nothing :(.

Those were my drugs as well. Still have the original box for GP500. :)

Stopped playing them though, because I can't use my custom controller, and when it comes to GP500, it is not even possible to set up the Xbox360 as I want. Guess I got spoiled by my own creation. :) I do miss them though... :(

Cheers,

/David "Gonzo" Boda #46
"THE EDGE... THERE IS NO HONEST WAY TO EXPLAIN IT BECAUSE THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO REALLY KNOW WHERE IT IS ARE THE ONES WHO HAVE GONE OVER"

Blackheart

Ok guys with Off Topic, but without exaggeration. was a topic with a simple feature request ... is no longer readable.  :o

Hawk

Quote from: Blackheart on March 08, 2016, 04:21:52 PM
Ok guys with Off Topic, but without exaggeration. was a topic with a simple feature request ... is no longer readable.  :o

Surely not. I'm sure Piboso is capable of reading your initial post Blacky. Most posts are concerning the reset function as far as I can see, don't you think so?

Hawk.

HornetMaX

Quote from: Hawk on March 08, 2016, 03:15:39 PM
Your obviously totally misunderstanding my concept with the editable min/max line respawn Max...... The min/max line positioning would be edited so that the respawn position at the min/max line would be off the track surface, therefore you would not have the bike respawning or appearing like magic on the track surface at all. The rider would have to ride back onto the track surface from the point of respawn off track. You could literally edit the min/max lines so that they more or less follow the trackside barriers well off the track surface. :)
No I'm not misunderstanding it, that's why I precised "if you allow instant respawn on track" (and im my previous previous post I clearly handled both cases for your solution, on/off-track respawn).

Now, if your idea is to put min/max lines off track, what I'm saying is that this is not as trivial as you think. Plus it requires to modify all our tracks. And finally, even if no bike will magically appear on track (which is good), bikes that will stop on track will magically disappear (which is not a tragedy, but not that good for a sim).

So overall the pros (impossible to end up in a spot from which you can't get back on track) are far less than the cons (more complex to implement, need to modify all tracks).

And you didn't give me a concrete example of a track where you can reasonably end up in a dead spot :)

Hawk

March 09, 2016, 06:35:55 PM #26 Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 06:38:01 PM by Hawk
Quote from: HornetMaX on March 09, 2016, 04:05:32 PM
Quote from: Hawk on March 08, 2016, 03:15:39 PM
No I'm not misunderstanding it, that's why I precised "if you allow instant respawn on track" (and im my previous previous post I clearly handled both cases for your solution, on/off-track respawn).

Now, if your idea is to put min/max lines off track, what I'm saying is that this is not as trivial as you think. Plus it requires to modify all our tracks. And finally, even if no bike will magically appear on track (which is good), bikes that will stop on track will magically disappear (which is not a tragedy, but not that good for a sim).

So overall the pros (impossible to end up in a spot from which you can't get back on track) are far less than the cons (more complex to implement, need to modify all tracks).

And you didn't give me a concrete example of a track where you can reasonably end up in a dead spot :)

The current logic of respawning onto the min/max lines relative to the point from the centreline at which you crashed could surely accommodate the repositioning of the min/max lines with very little addition to the actual respawn logic for that? It would be the edit tool that would require the most work to achieve actually being able to edit the min/max line positions manually by track authors surely?

Don't get me wrong Max, either solution I'd go for and would be better than what we have now or have had in the past, but I just feel that a tool to edit the min/max lines would be more useful in the long run, especially when we start to get more actual "road" circuits appearing. The respawn problems would then be in the hands of the track authors to fix for each individual circuit and not left for months for an update from Piboso.
The tracks with current min/max lines could still operate the same until they were updated by a track author, it wouldn't have to be the case that all tracks were suddenly out of action until they were updated.

But as I say, if Piboso would just give us the hardcore option(surely the easiest of all options to implement) and then I'd be happy, and this respawn business can be left to the boys.  :P

Btw: I didn't give you a track example because whatever track I'd say you'd then want a video of the actual occurrence of such a situation. I can see it coming. Lol  :P ;D

Hawk.

HornetMaX

Quote from: Hawk on March 09, 2016, 06:35:55 PM
It would be the edit tool that would require the most work to achieve actually being able to edit the min/max line positions manually by track authors surely?
Right, allowing editing of min/max lines in tracked doesn't look trivial to me. So yes, the effort to do for your solution is bigger than the effort for the other solution, both for piboso and track creators.

Don't get me wrong Max, either solution I'd go for and would be better than what we have now or have had in the past, but I just feel that a tool to edit the min/max lines would be more useful in the long run, especially when we start to get more actual "road" circuits appearing. The respawn problems would then be in the hands of the track authors to fix for each individual circuit and not left for months for an update from Piboso.
Road circuits are actually interesting. If there are walls on both sides, where do will you make the bike respawn ? On track.
So somebody will see a bike appear out of nowhere right in front of him, while the same bike, an instant before, was lying on the track 300m ahead, visible by all. What's the point ?!

Btw: I didn't give you a track example because whatever track I'd say you'd then want a video of the actual occurrence of such a situation. I can see it coming. Lol  :P ;D
No I won't need a video. Just a spot where you can think a bike could reasonably stop onto with the rider unable to come back on track.

HornetMaX

Interestingly, on MXB forums there's the same discussion around reset/respawn (http://forum.mx-bikes.com/index.php?topic=861.0).

The idea of respawning where the bike stops seems to be OK to all (all the ones who posted at least).
On top, Teeds proposed to have a reset delay dependent on crash speed (higher crash speed, higher delay, capped to something that makes sense), but then BadStar proposed something even better: respawn delay dependent on the distance between the crashed bike and the rider. As if taking into account the time it takes to run to the bike.

So when you crash, the biker stays where it stops, if the rider is far way you'll wait more than if the rider is nearby the bike. Once the delay expired, you're immediately on the bike.

I quite like it: no button to press, kind of fair with respect to crash severity, no need to modify any track, no "bike appearing all of a sudden problem".

doubledragoncc

Thats the most realistic and practical one so far
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.