• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:43:33 PM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

spending most of my time DLing updates

Started by RobinHoodUKIP, September 25, 2018, 08:19:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HornetMaX

With FTP you can sync only what you want, of course. Problem is, sonner or later you'll stumble on a server telling you "Hey, missing bike", which is exaclty what the OP wanted to avoid.

Anyway, GB cost is plain silly today (just bought a 1TB SSD, I think my 1st HD was 10MB or something).
Buy an SSD (256GB more than enough) and put only PiBoSo stuff on it (sims, mods). All neatly organised.

Hawk

September 26, 2018, 04:10:19 PM #16 Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 04:27:27 PM by Hawk
Quote from: matty0l215 on September 26, 2018, 03:08:21 PM
Quote from: Hawk on September 26, 2018, 03:04:21 PM
I was thinking more of the waste of space usage on the working HDD or SDD?
Maybe I'm just an obsessive but I don't like masses of space taken up on my drives with data that is never going to be used. As we all know, no matter how big a data drive you get, it always ends up getting full of data we think will be useful at some stage.... This kind of data cannot be said for bike data that you know your never going to use..... As I say, maybe it's just me being a little obsessive about keeping data and things organised but I've learned from past experience that it pays to keep data/info organised and trash or archive anything that is redundant or isn't going to be used?  :)

That's where you are wrong!

BUY ALL THE HARD DRIVES :P ;D

ROFL!!  ;D
Maybe one day when we have DNA based data storage we can be as disorganised as we like. Lol!  ;) ;D

Quote from: HornetMaX on September 26, 2018, 03:32:22 PM
With FTP you can sync only what you want, of course. Problem is, sooner or later you'll stumble on a server telling you "Hey, missing bike", which is exaclty what the OP wanted to avoid.
Exactly the problem this thread is debating.  :)

Quote from: HornetMaX on September 26, 2018, 03:32:22 PM
Anyway, GB cost is plain silly today (just bought a 1TB SSD, I think my 1st HD was 10MB or something).
Buy an SSD (256GB more than enough) and put only PiBoSo stuff on it (sims, mods). All neatly organised.

Nice idea in theory, but then 256GB to put only GPBikes stuff on it would again be a massive waste of resources, right?  Besides, I already have enough space available to cope with all the mods for GPBikes but like I said, I don't like wasting space/resources on things I'm never going to use..... A more professional development approach from Piboso to solve the issue would be so much more impressive and a damn-site more efficient for everyone(including the environment), don't you think?  :)
The only people that would be pissed of about it all would be the companies who don't sell so many SSD's for people to work around these kind of issues. Lol!  ;D

matty0l215

Nahh. £50 something and I got a 250 GB hard drive and it's not even half full with all of the modding content and basically 2 copies of the bike Mod.
For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

Hawk

Quote from: matty0l215 on September 26, 2018, 06:47:28 PM
Nahh. £50 something and I got a 250 GB hard drive and it's not even half full with all of the modding content and basically 2 copies of the bike Mod.

This is what I mean by waste of resources. Lol! ;D
I could save that £50 by just downloading the few bikes that I favour to ride most and store them on my data drive, then I can put that £50 towards something else more useful. :P ;D

Same with the trackMods.... I only download and install tracks as and when I need them and not all at once.... Just no need for it at all. :)

PS: 250GB hard drive is not very big at all these days.... For a hard drive I'd lean towards a 3TB.... SSD I would go for at least a 500GB one which are quite reasonably priced now.  ;)

HornetMaX

Quote from: matty0l215 on September 26, 2018, 06:47:28 PM
For 50GBP yuou can get a 256GB SSD today ...

matty0l215

Sorry I meant SSD. :P

A quick Update on the Nexus Mod Manager. Yes, files can be uploaded there but It appears as if they just act as a host for the files. You can't sync them using their software... So a dead end there...

poumpouny

I think you all didn't get the point, the problem is not storage, not even downloading thing, the problem is that gp bikes is suffering of lack of player, so say, one is back from work, have like 30min to fire up and make some lap on some server, then bam, you have to download gig of thing to be able to play. and that every damn week lol. If it is mounthly then it will not disapoint you since you know it will update for example every 3rd friday of each mounth. You will be safe to play for the whole mounth .... and you can planify to let the update run for night for example ...

matty0l215

I tried to push only monthly updates on the BikeMOD as but people eventually lost their shit or just started posting their own links to bikes so weekly it went :P