• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 03, 2024, 10:25:46 AM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Respawn - better proposal ?

Started by HornetMaX, August 07, 2015, 07:54:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HornetMaX

A different proposal for respawn (mostly from teeds): just respawn wherever the bike stops and disregard chekcpoints (i.e count the lap even if a checkpoint is missed).

I can see only 2 issues:

• During races, if a checkpoint is missed, this should be flagged in the results so that race organisers can decide after what to do (time penalty or not), watching the replay. But during quali and testing (for Hotlap events and record page), a lap during which a checkpoint is missed should not be taken into account. That should be trivial to implement.
  • When you crash hard, sometimes the bike ends up behind a low wall / guardrail: if it respawns there, you could be trapped. Maybe we can just live with that: it was a big crash, you're out of the race.

It sounds very reasonable to me: no issue of respawning on track all of a sudden (like right now), kind of more realistic, should be very easy to implement.

Do we all agree this is the preferred way to handle respawn ?

MaX.

matty0l215

If the camera snaps to view back down the track to see if it is clear (just incase the bike lands back on track) then this could work well.

IRL you'd pick the bike up where it lands, not where you fell.
For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

Napalm Nick

gets my vote - respawn (get back on) where the bike ends up.
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

h106frp

I think it was Hawk who suggested that the on line game needed a way to discourage foolish heroics. As in real life if an overtake is too risky you should drop back and wait for a better opportunity and ride with the intention of staying upright to the end and ride within the limits of the bikes handling at any given time.

Falling should have some sort of consequence, this may be especially true once the physics/bikes are fixed and you only have yourself to blame otherwise i can see this all starting again with the next beta.

Maybe the respawn needs a 'hardcore' option in the server rules setup to give hosts some flexibility with several different rules and experiment a bit. Maybe developing the server rules options is a better long term solution.

From the degree of discussion the respawn seem to have risen to the top of the 'must fix' list

HornetMaX

Quote from: matty0l215 on August 07, 2015, 09:19:12 AM
If the camera snaps to view back down the track to see if it is clear (just incase the bike lands back on track) then this could work well.
As soon as you press the respawn button you'll be back on the bike (no waiting for the track to be clear), so you will be able to look left/right/back before starting to move.

MaX.

matty0l215

Nope. Ignore me.

If the bike is in the middle of the track it could still be hit by other riders anyway. The fact that weather ithe bike is on its side or with a rider ontop doesnt matter:P  the problem we have currently is the sudden appearance of a rider after respawning.

;D
For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

Napalm Nick

Agree Matt. If the bike is on the track on the racing line so be it. At least players can see it there and make changes (just like real).

I'm so excited I want (would really like) to see it implemented.
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

HornetMaX

Quote from: Napalm Nick on August 07, 2015, 10:04:03 AM
Agree Matt. If the bike is on the track on the racing line so be it. At least players can see it there and make changes (just like real).
Yep, that's the key point.

MaX.

Hawk

As a compromise from the hardcore option I agree with what you say there Max in your first post, but as h106frp and I have suggested in the past, a server setup option for hardcore respawning would be good too, as in if you fall or crash your out of the race. I'm sure this would stop riders from riding over or at their maximum limits all of the time and make riding at 95% for 99.9% of a race the thing to do to finish a race and only ride at your maximum limits whenever you feel you need too(with the obvious risks of crashing-out associated of course). :)

But the main thing is not to have the bike respawning on track because even if you can look back to make sure of a clear track to respawn you'll always get some riders who'll disregard looking back and press the respawn button straight away after crashing(human nature I guess. Lol :P )

But it's a difficult one to resolve, as not respawning on track will cause problems with some tracks(especially real road tracks that have a wall or barrier right on track-side; respawning there off-track could or will cause a possible respawn behind walls or barriers. So maybe the best thing is the hardcore solution of crash and your out - if only for race events, and leave the normal respawn on track for practice or test sessions only?

Hawk.

HornetMaX

@Hawk: the hardcore option (crash = out) is a separate topic. Nothing against it, as far as it's an option.

That aside, teeds' suggestion solves the issue of spawn on-track vs off-track: just spawn where the bike stops. As the bike is already stopped there, incoming riders won't be surprised (just like in reality).
When you press the respawn button, the bike will just go from laid down to back on its wheels: it will then be up to you to decide if it is right/safe to start moving or wait.

MaX.

Hawk

Quote from: HornetMaX on August 07, 2015, 01:57:03 PM
@Hawk: the hardcore option (crash = out) is a separate topic. Nothing against it, as far as it's an option.

That aside, teeds' suggestion solves the issue of spawn on-track vs off-track: just spawn where the bike stops. As the bike is already stopped there, incoming riders won't be surprised (just like in reality).
When you press the respawn button, the bike will just go from laid down to back on its wheels: it will then be up to you to decide if it is right/safe to start moving or wait.

MaX.

Nice suggestion from Teeds, which would work out okay for most crashes, but what would happen if a bike crashes over a barrier, respawns behind the barrier and can't get back on track? It's a difficult one to be fair to all.

Just playing the Devils Advocate here.  ;)

Hawk.

HornetMaX

Quote from: Hawk UK on August 07, 2015, 02:09:05 PM

Nice suggestion from Teeds, which would work out okay for most crashes, but what would happen if a bike crashes over a barrier, respawns behind the barrier and can't get back on track? It's a difficult one to be fair to all.

Just playing the Devils Advocate here.  ;)
Get in line :) point #2 in my initial post in this topic.

Quote from: HornetMaX on August 07, 2015, 07:54:13 AM
I can see only 2 issues:

• During races, if a checkpoint is missed, this should be flagged in the results so that race organisers can decide after what to do (time penalty or not), watching the replay. But during quali and testing (for Hotlap events and record page), a lap during which a checkpoint is missed should not be taken into account. That should be trivial to implement.
  • When you crash hard, sometimes the bike ends up behind a low wall / guardrail: if it respawns there, you could be trapped. Maybe we can just live with that: it was a big crash, you're out of the race.

MaX.

teeds

Quote from: HornetMaX on August 07, 2015, 07:54:13 AM

+1 with this, consider it as your bike is damaged beyond use or your dead, dying or at least on way to hospital  :)

Napalm Nick

Agree - in effect this should only give the option of "Return to Pits" - hence in a Practice or qualification its not so bad but its a Race retirement - unlucky!

HornetMaX

So it looks OK for teeds, me, Napalm, matty and Hawk at least.
    If we disregard the huge UK-bias, we can call it a YES.

OK, next: how do we manage to submit this proposal to the gods high above ?
    I'd gladly leave that part to somebody else.

MaX.