• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 05:54:11 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

My Adventures with Direct Steer w/ Torque

Started by Klax75, May 24, 2014, 11:30:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

passerBy

Quote from: Become dust on April 06, 2017, 10:25:23 PM
I loove the bigger bikes more mass means i can really push the bike to its limits :D soon enough i will beat my laptime record! Funny enough i prefer the 500cc or the 1000cc but that might just be the fact thst im so used to a "slow bike" like the 125 and yes, it is practically crap, with dst or dsa i struggle just to keep the bike upright, i feel like it would be cool if we could create a system that self rights when controlls are in neutrual much like with the default steering, but that issue is not apparent with the bigger bikes, luckily. 125 as a demo bike? Its like if you attrmpted to create a forza 6 demo and the only car you can drive in is a fucking honda civic. One thing is for sure this sim/game has potential, the question is just how we can uterlize it. It does reminds me of this great game called Rawbots, but the devs stopped working on it and closed the website, ive bought a licence but because they've closed the website i can't download the game :( rawbots is a robot contruction game where you are in a sandbox and you can build anything you want, every mechanicle part is programmable and the way you program things is very easy to learn!!! Much like Garry's mod i guess, i once built a B2 stealth bomber in that game, so laggy xD
Actually, they do self-right as they are. That's especially noticeable at slow speeds... I have a feeling your inverted FFB acts indeed inverted now :) What kind of a wheel do you use?
Phillip Island might not be the best choice to start with learning direct steering. Try getting Grobnik -- the thing is wide as a bus is long and doesn't have tight bends. It still has corners that can challenge you, as well as bankings at some places, but all in all the track is good for this kind of riding. And it also looks probably the best compared to the rest of GPB tracks :)

Become dust

Quote from: passerBy on April 07, 2017, 01:35:18 AM
Quote from: Become dust on April 06, 2017, 10:25:23 PM
I loove the bigger bikes more mass means i can really push the bike to its limits :D soon enough i will beat my laptime record! Funny enough i prefer the 500cc or the 1000cc but that might just be the fact thst im so used to a "slow bike" like the 125 and yes, it is practically crap, with dst or dsa i struggle just to keep the bike upright, i feel like it would be cool if we could create a system that self rights when controlls are in neutrual much like with the default steering, but that issue is not apparent with the bigger bikes, luckily. 125 as a demo bike? Its like if you attrmpted to create a forza 6 demo and the only car you can drive in is a fucking honda civic. One thing is for sure this sim/game has potential, the question is just how we can uterlize it. It does reminds me of this great game called Rawbots, but the devs stopped working on it and closed the website, ive bought a licence but because they've closed the website i can't download the game :( rawbots is a robot contruction game where you are in a sandbox and you can build anything you want, every mechanicle part is programmable and the way you program things is very easy to learn!!! Much like Garry's mod i guess, i once built a B2 stealth bomber in that game, so laggy xD
Actually, they do self-right as they are. That's especially noticeable at slow speeds... I have a feeling your inverted FFB acts indeed inverted now :) What kind of a wheel do you use?
Phillip Island might not be the best choice to start with learning direct steering. Try getting Grobnik -- the thing is wide as a bus is long and doesn't have tight bends. It still has corners that can challenge you, as well as bankings at some places, but all in all the track is good for this kind of riding. And it also looks probably the best compared to the rest of GPB tracks :)

I do notice it but i guess i just formulated it wrongly, and it does work correctly just gotta get used to the speed now xD the speed... fucking love how fast you can go im just so gratefull that im able to get a license :3 i havent tried the other things you can acces with license i do remember something about cars.... not sure though. But yeah im loving it, i can really get that knee down without fear of loosing controll!! But still im very inconsistent and still learning how to use DST, ive noticed it is alot harder to do a front flip with the bigger bikes, the 125 you just had to like break 1-2% too much and it flips, just struggled with everything on that bike :/ i feel like it has too much grip but i don't know how that would function specifically if that makes sense. Since ive gotten the licence ive decided i would attempt and leatn how to ride the bikes with a clutch as of today i'm hopeless when it comes to clutches i just can't make it function propperly, put me in a drift sim and i will do fine but races, oh man.... the engine brakes are just merciless when i shift down xD!!!

passerBy

Quote from: Become dust on April 07, 2017, 01:48:24 AM
I do notice it but i guess i just formulated it wrongly, and it does work correctly just gotta get used to the speed now xD the speed... fucking love how fast you can go im just so gratefull that im able to get a license :3 i havent tried the other things you can acces with license i do remember something about cars.... not sure though.
That was World Racing Series :) You can get it from here: http://www.worldracingseries.net/?page=downloads Just use the same license you used for GPB. If you like drifting, you'are going to like that "Tandridge" car for sure :)

QuoteBut yeah im loving it, i can really get that knee down without fear of loosing controll!!
By getting the knee down, do you mean actually putting it on tarmac until you hear the scraping sound, all the while in the direct steering mode? What bike?

QuoteBut still im very inconsistent and still learning how to use DST, ive noticed it is alot harder to do a front flip with the bigger bikes, the 125 you just had to like break 1-2% too much and it flips, just struggled with everything on that bike :/ i feel like it has too much grip but i don't know how that would function specifically if that makes sense. Since ive gotten the licence ive decided i would attempt and leatn how to ride the bikes with a clutch as of today i'm hopeless when it comes to clutches i just can't make it function propperly, put me in a drift sim and i will do fine but races, oh man.... the engine brakes are just merciless when i shift down xD!!!
Front flip? You mean a stoppie? :) Flips per se are not hard to do (you only need to lean forward and apply some front brake for that :) ), it's the balancing act that is complicated :) Don't tell me you can do a stoppie without falling too :) I don't know about you, but in my book being able to put the knee down to tarmac and being able to successfully perform a stoppie (all the while using a direct steering mode) is called a huge progress :)

Become dust

Quote from: passerBy on April 07, 2017, 02:46:01 AM
Quote from: Become dust on April 07, 2017, 01:48:24 AM
I do notice it but i guess i just formulated it wrongly, and it does work correctly just gotta get used to the speed now xD the speed... fucking love how fast you can go im just so gratefull that im able to get a license :3 i havent tried the other things you can acces with license i do remember something about cars.... not sure though.
That was World Racing Series :) You can get it from here: http://www.worldracingseries.net/?page=downloads Just use the same license you used for GPB. If you like drifting, you'are going to like that "Tandridge" car for sure :)

QuoteBut yeah im loving it, i can really get that knee down without fear of loosing controll!!
By getting the knee down, do you mean actually putting it on tarmac until you hear the scraping sound, all the while in the direct steering mode? What bike?

QuoteBut still im very inconsistent and still learning how to use DST, ive noticed it is alot harder to do a front flip with the bigger bikes, the 125 you just had to like break 1-2% too much and it flips, just struggled with everything on that bike :/ i feel like it has too much grip but i don't know how that would function specifically if that makes sense. Since ive gotten the licence ive decided i would attempt and leatn how to ride the bikes with a clutch as of today i'm hopeless when it comes to clutches i just can't make it function propperly, put me in a drift sim and i will do fine but races, oh man.... the engine brakes are just merciless when i shift down xD!!!
Front flip? You mean a stoppie? :) Flips per se are not hard to do (you only need to lean forward and apply some front brake for that :) ), it's the balancing act that is complicated :) Don't tell me you can do a stoppie without falling too :) I don't know about you, but in my book being able to put the knee down to tarmac and being able to successfully perform a stoppie (all the while using a direct steering mode) is called a huge progress :)

Why yes dat knee can get scraped! And by front flip a stoppie indeed, i allways flip the damn bike when i applied the brake force i asumed i needed, thus i struggle with stopping! As said before im inconsistent so by mentioning putting the knee down doesent allways end well, i do watch alot of replay and from what i can see the knee somehow acuates intriguingly if you learn the bike enough so the knee actually follows the surface of the track a really cool detail :) i use the modern riding style which looks to aid me in executing a sharp turn, but still with inconsistense! Im no Klax i guess you could say :P!

passerBy

Well, under getting the knee down I mostly meant something closer to what Klax had demonstrated in his second Mallory Park video. Hitting the surface for a split second and surviving the outcome is not very useful, and that's something I can do too from time to time :) Going through the entire curve stably with the knee down is another matter altogether, and as we can see, even Klax couldn't do in a very reliable fashion.

This is something I'm planning to achieve at some point (after all, the latest 11th beta is more suited for this), but it will take a long time no doubt. After all, it would require bringing the lap times down (at Phillip Island) to whereabouts of 1:30 or at the very least 1:40.

Become dust

That is correct even though it is a cool achievement to CONSISTANtly get the knee down it shouldn't be my prioity :) as you mantioned breaking is something i struggle with aswel but! I can finaly spend some time in this damn game as i bought at a time where my time was limited? Just got home from school so im looking forward to it!

Become dust

Update on my licenst experience. BIKE SO FAST XD i can never really full throttle anything i underestimate my speed on every corner. Still learning new things with DST :D

passerBy

Quote from: Become dust on April 07, 2017, 10:47:54 AM
That is correct even though it is a cool achievement to CONSISTANtly get the knee down it shouldn't be my prioity :) as you mantioned breaking is something i struggle with aswel but! I can finaly spend some time in this damn game as i bought at a time where my time was limited? Just got home from school so im looking forward to it!
Well, it's not simply something fancy-looking... Getting the knee down is also a good indication you are going through a bend at the best possible velocity/acceleration/turning rate.

Speaking of the Modern riding style, today I managed to more or less consistently get my elbow down :D Alas, so far only at the Funring. On a proper track it only happens to me at Mallory Park. Also very sporadically. Of course here I'm talking about getting the knee down, only managed to scrape the surface with the elbow once so far :)

passerBy

Masochism, you say, Max? Now this is proper masochism ;D

http://www.youtube.com/v/cLsxplauheo

I used to ignore MXB completely, because it seemed totally impossible to handle in direct steering, but today, after an hour or so of practicing it started to come out :)

But first I had to spend a lot of time on tweaking the model settings in the tracker software. Without defining the pivot point exactly, it tends to introduce parasitic translations into the output when you rotate your head.

Become dust

Quote from: passerBy on April 08, 2017, 12:25:57 PM
Masochism, you say, Max? Now this is proper masochism ;D

http://www.youtube.com/v/cLsxplauheo

I used to ignore MXB completely, because it seemed totally impossible to handle in direct steering, but today, after an hour or so of practicing it started to come out :)

But first I had to spend a lot of time on tweaking the model settings in the tracker software. Without defining the pivot point exactly, it tends to introduce parasitic translations into the output when you rotate your head.

oi! your video is private!

Become dust

so late of today I've been having a new type of issue with cornering, my rear wheel as decided to start slipping, that is a cool discovery of what bikes can do in a corner, but the issue is not the slipping itself, the issue is the fact that the driver itself the AI is trying to keep control of that slipping by countersteering but then it overcorrects and have to turn the other way, all the way through a turn after I brake it does this oscillation until I fall because I attempt to reach peek bike angle. I doubt there is no way of fixing it but i just wanna let you know.

passerBy

Quote from: Become dust on April 08, 2017, 02:48:34 PM
oi! your video is private!
Huh, I don't get YouTube policies... Weren't Klax' videos private too? Or were they unlisted? What's the point of private videos on YouTube then if you can't share them?
Changed it to unlisted now, but didn't get any notification about "the author might not want you to share this video", and so on :/ Whatever. Just wasn't something I thought was worth publishing on the channel.

passerBy

Quote from: Become dust on April 08, 2017, 03:24:51 PM
so late of today I've been having a new type of issue with cornering, my rear wheel as decided to start slipping, that is a cool discovery of what bikes can do in a corner, but the issue is not the slipping itself, the issue is the fact that the driver itself the AI is trying to keep control of that slipping by countersteering but then it overcorrects and have to turn the other way, all the way through a turn after I brake it does this oscillation until I fall because I attempt to reach peek bike angle. I doubt there is no way of fixing it but i just wanna let you know.
Would be great if you provided a video or a part of the replay file too. That way it'd be more informative.
I have to say, some of the bike yaw oscillations in GPB appear quite exaggerated and improbable. Especially noticeable while braking hard from near top speeds.

passerBy

Speaking of getting elbows down...

http://www.youtube.com/v/Fsr3K43dujQ

As I already mentioned, the wheel's precision leaves a lot to be desired while restricted to a closer to handlebars angle. The linearity curve helps with that.
This, however, was taken yesterday, before I tweaked the headtracking/leaning, so, that might add to the undesired movement. Just like the choppy FFB. I guess in DS1 w/o FFB one could do it more precisely (pure torque and all that), but I just can't see it being anywhere near as fun as DS2 :)

Become dust

Quote from: passerBy on April 08, 2017, 05:51:14 PM
Speaking of getting elbows down...

http://www.youtube.com/v/Fsr3K43dujQ

As I already mentioned, the wheel's precision leaves a lot to be desired while restricted to a closer to handlebars angle. The linearity curve helps with that.
This, however, was taken yesterday, before I tweaked the headtracking/leaning, so, that might add to the undesired movement. Just like the choppy FFB. I guess in DS1 w/o FFB one could do it more precisely (pure torque and all that), but I just can't see it being anywhere near as fun as DS2 :)

I'd say it is all about compromise, depending what you can access, I got a controller and a PC, and that is just about it :/ I bet it would be fun but I can't access the equipment sadly so, DST 1 is lyfe when it comes to GP-bikes none the less im enjoying it