• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

GPB and OpenTrack/FreeTrack

Started by HornetMaX, May 26, 2015, 10:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HornetMaX

Hi,
due to an interesting post on a 3dof head tracking device (http://www.edtracker.org.uk/index.php) I wanted to check how it could be used in GPB.

The devidc has a HID interface (i.e. like a joystick) but it can also use OpenTrack (https://github.com/opentrack/opentrack) in order to emulate FreeTrack: as GPB is supposed to be FreeTrack compatible, then the device could be used for freelook.

So I downloaded OpenTrack and I run its main executable: the GUI allows me to chose the input device and the output format.
I select freetrack as output and either one of my joypad or head tracking (via webcam) as input. Both seems to work fine in the opentrack gui (I see stuff/numbers moving correctly when I move the joypad or my head).

The problem is, in GPB, after having set the freelook to "Tracker", there's no movement.

Even more weird: if I use mouse emulation as opentrack output, everything works fine in opentrack gui (the mouse pointer moves with my joypad or my head).
Once in GPB however (havin gset frelook to mouse look):

• The mouse pointer (in the menus) moves with the joypad/head (yeah !)
  • But still no movement when on the bike (ouch !)

I know nothing about all this stuff so I'm confident I'm missing something. If anybody has an idea ...

MaX.

Napalm Nick

Maybe its like games like F1 2013/14 where it has no use (and doesn't function - why would it come on arcade mode right?) unless you are in 'onboard view'.

Just a thought.
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

HornetMaX

Of course I'm trying this in 'onboard view' (and now I'm inches away from blaming you :) ).

MaX.

h106frp

With no tracking stuff installed at all i just enabled freelook in the 'simulation' option tab and left it on mouse look and i can happily move the first person view around with the mouse (no buttons needed).

Does this work for you?

Napalm Nick

Quote from: HornetMaX on May 26, 2015, 10:20:56 PM
Of course I'm trying this in 'onboard view' (and now I'm inches away from blaming you :) ).

MaX.

Ooh yeh another win for Napalm  ;)
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

HornetMaX

Quote from: h106frp on May 26, 2015, 10:25:25 PM
With no tracking stuff installed at all i just enabled freelook in the 'simulation' option tab and left it on mouse look and i can happily move the first person view around with the mouse (no buttons needed).

Does this work for you?

Yes, of course.

MaX.

Napalm Nick

Quote from: h106frp on May 26, 2015, 10:25:25 PM

Does this work for you?

Yes , now get mouse emulation software and tie in your tracking device to it and boom your away.  But it should be easier than that and that is what we need to know - how to enable Freelook/Tracking without shenanigans.

h106frp

Well if its simulating the mouse OK i can only agree that its a case of 'weird stuff' going on  ;D

If you run the game windowed you should be able to see the freetrack client and the game - i dont think you need opentrack to get it working in mouse look mode.

HornetMaX

Quote from: h106frp on May 26, 2015, 10:31:53 PM
Well if its simulating the mouse OK i can only agree that its a case of 'weird stuff' going on  ;D

If you run the game windowed you should be able to see the freetrack client and the game - i dont think you need opentrack to get it working in mouse look mode.
Uh I'm lost ... my understanding is that I don't need freetrack, I just need opentrack.

MaX.

Napalm Nick

Well eat this for your supper:

I just flashed my TrackIR 5 and confirmed it doesn't work in the game no matter what setting. Great I hear you murmer.

So I flashed TIRMouse (comes with Track IR - mouse emulator), selected Mouse-look in game and there we go all working nice left right up and down like a dream. No 6DOF but hey one miracle a day is enough.

so tracking device ---> Mouse emulator--------> mouse look          all work fine in a TRACKIR setup

But yes I do understand your problem - if it is driving the mouse in the menus it should work in the game with Mouse look selected (like mine does). I don't have any bright ideas on that (well I did and you didn't like them too much)  :)

I asked the question before about 'Tracking' and 'Face tracking' settings and got the usual Tumbleweed response.

I was hoping (I think like you) that Freetrack or AN other, would be like TrackIR could be (almost plug n play 6DOF) if it wasn't for NDA's and SDKs and NFI's.

The big man might give some input.

I'm going to bed now and waiting on an Occulus, though the reality is tomorrow I will be TrackIR-ing round the um....track

Klax75

Quote from: Napalm Nick on May 26, 2015, 11:08:53 PM
Well eat this for your supper:

I just flashed my TrackIR 5 and confirmed it doesn't work in the game no matter what setting. Great I hear you murmer.

So I flashed TIRMouse (comes with Track IR - mouse emulator), selected Mouse-look in game and there we go all working nice left right up and down like a dream. No 6DOF but hey one miracle a day is enough.

so tracking device ---> Mouse emulator--------> mouse look          all work fine in a TRACKIR setup

But yes I do understand your problem - if it is driving the mouse in the menus it should work in the game with Mouse look selected (like mine does). I don't have any bright ideas on that (well I did and you didn't like them too much)  :)

I asked the question before about 'Tracking' and 'Face tracking' settings and got the usual Tumbleweed response.

I was hoping (I think like you) that Freetrack or AN other, would be like TrackIR could be (almost plug n play 6DOF) if it wasn't for NDA's and SDKs and NFI's.

The big man might give some input.

I'm going to bed now and waiting on an Occulus, though the reality is tomorrow I will be TrackIR-ing round the um....track

I got GP Bikes and Track IR 5 to use Mouse Emulation about to work about a year, year and half ago to work with GP Bikes. The problem I had was the view would start to drift on you so eventually your head is at a awkward angle. Or you'd have to turn your head left and right to max angle to get it to adjust every time. But then it would start drifting off of center again.

I have Track IR 5 and DK2. Track IR is nice since it is screen resolution and you can adjust the movement of your head sensitivity. DK2 is always 1:1 ratio, and the screen resolution isn't great. Plus wearing glasses with it is a tight fit and gives your more tunnel vision so you are moving your head a little more. And since it is always 1:1 ratio it for me is a really pain when GP Bike gets it to look behind you. I'd still have to use a button for it. Also since it's "3D" like in Kart Pro if you lean forward the steering wheel will get very close to your virtual face and make your eyes want to cross. Not very comfortable. :/

h106frp

Understand what you were doing now with joystick to mouse emulation in opentrack. Tried it and i am getting the same results - no mouse simulation. Will have to read up on opentrack :(

Napalm Nick

That's right Klax I remember reading your post now. I will have to check see if mine drifts too. :)

Hawk

Yes I read something about that last night. It's because it tracks in 3 DOF and not 6 DOF, so by moving your head from side to side and moving back and forward it cannot track your head position so it starts to loose your heads position in space. You need full 6 DOF to be able to fully track your head position apparently.  ;)

Hawk.

HornetMaX

Quote from: h106frp on May 26, 2015, 11:21:23 PM
Understand what you were doing now with joystick to mouse emulation in opentrack. Tried it and i am getting the same results - no mouse simulation. Will have to read up on opentrack :(
The problem is, there doesn't seem to be a lot to read.

On opentrack side, everything seems to work fine, no matter what I use as input (joypad, head-tracking), it's only between opentrack and GPB that something goes lost (no matter what I use as output, FreeTrack or mouse emulation).

Too bad, I was warming up to the idea of EDTracker: I'm sure you can still use it in HID mode, but still it would be a pity not giving it a try in freelook mode.

Even wikipedia seems to say GPB/WRS/KRP work fine with FreeTrack (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_compatible_with_FreeTrack).

Quote from: Hawk UK on May 27, 2015, 06:50:48 AM
Yes I read something about that last night. It's because it tracks in 3 DOF and not 6 DOF, so by moving your head from side to side and moving back and forward it cannot track your head position so it starts to loose your heads position in space. You need full 6 DOF to be able to fully track your head position apparently.  ;)
I don't think drifting is related to 6dof or 3dof. Anyway Piboso games only need 2dof (yaw, pitch) for freelook: they don't use full head position (and attitude) tracking, they just need a 2 axis input.
Of course if you can also track the head position then you could assign the X-Y head movements to (for example) rider lean. But freelook seems to be just 2 dof.

MaX.