• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Windows 10 reservation notification

Started by h106frp, June 01, 2015, 09:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HornetMaX

NVidia, AMD and Intel all updated their drivers today.

MaX.

BOBR6 84

Quote from: doubledragoncc on July 30, 2015, 10:19:51 PM

I hope it was okay to add my thoughts as I know I am not welcome here

DD

??? :o grow some balls!! I miss your crazy posts  ;D

Napalm Nick

Interesting point of note DD.

Scanning over the Steam forums got me wondering about the usual Day 0 problems but people seem to be resolving with the new W10 graphics drivers and game integrity checks. Time will tell. Once you have it all sorted out in a few months (SP1 at least) I will install mine hehe  ;D
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

PeterV

Napalm Nick

Good links Peter. Most people just tick the 'yeh yeh whatever just hurry up' boxes during the load.

I raised this concern during the Insider Preview to anyone who would listen. I am interested how it goes down in Germany where rules and the public are more savvy with not accepting this stuff. You might remember the 'Origin' saga.

Generally I don't mind the idea of it too much, but the likelihood of the data being compromised/stolen/misused etc is too high to just be complacent about it.
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

Napalm Nick

August 05, 2015, 12:41:29 PM #51 Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 12:58:44 PM by Napalm Nick
Good one - I didn't know about the WUDO setting (edit: the peer to peer bit). Local network distribution is a good idea though. Think mine will be ON (Local only).

Out of interest:
I took a Windows 8 (upgraded to 8.1) PC to W10 using a fresh install and it doesn't work - IE a Windows 8 key (as opposed to W8.1) key wont activate it (with no option to phone MS). So after loading W10 and failing activation, I had to reload 8, upgrade to 8.1, and upgrade to W10 . Pffff. To do a fresh W10 install now I need to interrogate it to get the new assigned W10 key and reload W10 fresh haha sheesh. Think I will leave that particular PC as 'upgraded'.

HornetMaX

Quote from: Napalm Nick on August 05, 2015, 12:41:29 PM
Good one - I didn't know about the WUDO setting (edit: the peer to peer bit). Local network distribution is a good idea though. Think mine will be ON (Local only).
Mine will be OFF. I have a network of 1 PC, so ... :)

Quote from: Napalm Nick on August 05, 2015, 12:41:29 PM
Out of interest:
I took a Windows 8 (upgraded to 8.1) PC to W10 using a fresh install and it doesn't work - IE a Windows 8 key (as opposed to W8.1) key wont activate it. So after loading W10 and failing activation, I had to reload 8, upgrade to 8.1, and upgrade to W10 . Pffff. To do a fresh W10 install now I need to interrogate it to get the new assigned W10 key and reload W10 fresh haha sheesh. Think I will leave that particular PC as 'upgraded'.
Yep, that's "The Way It's Meant to be Played" ...also known as "How to annoy the people that do have a legitimate win7/8 license and push them to install win10 fresh using some easily available and fully working crack". Because on top of forcing the update before a fresh install, your win10 key obtained from your win7/8 key is tied to your hardware: if you swap some of it you will have to contact Microsoft as your key will no longer work (and if you swap your MoBo it's not even sure your key will ever work).

The beauty of it is that the idea behind is that your original win7/8 key will be deactivated (making the rollback to win7/8, which is possible only within 1 month, risky and cumbersome). Typical Microsoft over-complicated mess. Instead of blabbing about free upgrades, put a reasonable price for retail copies (e.g. 50E) that allow the customer to do whatever he wants: update, fresh install or whatever.

In the end, another nice idea (pushing people to win10 giving it around for free or little) completely fucked by stupid marketing all over the place.

Most likely, I'll go with the crack, even if I could just update my current win7, because I want my win7 and win10 to run in parallel for a while.
If that's not a fail on their side I don't know what else is ...

MaX.

Napalm Nick

Agree. Didn't know about the 1 month roll-back limit though  >:(

Gargh there goes the Vista/W7 upgrade exploit lol.  Operating systems should be free FFS there's still plenty of crap to purchase in the MS store lol.

Linux Mint forever.

WALKEN

Help me, help you!

Napalm Nick

To go with Peters OPT OUT link here is another good one from their very recently amended privacy policy/T&Cs:

Microsoft Account | Privacy

matty0l215

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJCiqiENgjw

An alright video explaining Windows 10. Might be worth a watch if anyone's on the fence.
For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

WALKEN

If anyone is so worried about collection of data then "Google" may not be the best search engine for you, forget windows10, lol

https://duckduckgo.com/
Help me, help you!

HornetMaX

Quote from: WALKEN on August 05, 2015, 07:24:25 PM
If anyone is so worried about collection of data then "Google" may not be the best search engine for you, forget windows10, lol
True but it's a weak argument. First, google is not an OS (nt for PC at least), second they make it very explicit that they will use your data and it's kind of expected from them (once yuu know their business model). And google actually gives you stuff "for free". Last, the low-blow of changing the default browser and search engine (to edge and bing) is borderline pathetic ... yawn ...

MaX.

h106frp

It will be interesting top see what the corporate and government desktop stance will be with all the data tracking issues. Most companies will not like the idea that their systems data can potentially be harvested by a third party. I am assuming that MS have forced openings in any installed firewall software or will a third party firewall put a stop to it?