• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 03, 2024, 08:55:06 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Windows 10 reservation notification

Started by h106frp, June 01, 2015, 09:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HornetMaX

Quote from: h106frp on August 05, 2015, 08:23:28 PM
It will be interesting top see what the corporate and government desktop stance will be with all the data tracking issues. Most companies will not like the idea that their systems data can potentially be harvested by a third party. I am assuming that MS have forced openings in any installed firewall software or will a third party firewall put a stop to it?

Enterprise editions will have for sure more settings to play with and Microsoft is probably not interested in harvesting their data (heck, these guys are actually paying the Win licenses, and more than consumers). It's our data they want.

Anyway, I doubt you'd be able to stop one specific data flow simply using a firewall.

MaX.

WALKEN

Quote from: HornetMaX on August 05, 2015, 08:13:30 PM
Quote from: WALKEN on August 05, 2015, 07:24:25 PM
If anyone is so worried about collection of data then "Google" may not be the best search engine for you, forget windows10, lol
True but it's a weak argument. First, google is not an OS (nt for PC at least), second they make it very explicit that they will use your data and it's kind of expected from them (once yuu know their business model). And google actually gives you stuff "for free". Last, the low-blow of changing the default browser and search engine (to edge and bing) is borderline pathetic ... yawn ...

MaX.

I was just generally speaking. If someone is worried about data collection they should look at everything they do on a computer.  I don't need anything collecting my interests as I know what I like without something telling me what I like.  Its marketing.

The more hand holding the user gets the less freedom they have = proprietary!   
Help me, help you!

HornetMaX

In some cases it's not a matter of hand holding, example: system crashes, infos about the crash are sent to Microsoft. That's not a bad idea and it's not hand holding, but sending all the content you were using when the crash happened is a bit too much (e.g. the content of a spreadsheet), especially if this is done without the end user really aware about it.

MaX.

HornetMaX

LOL ! How to kill countless hours of marketing and strategy brainstorming with a few lines of Python.

https://github.com/10se1ucgo/DisableWinTracking

MaX.

h106frp

What a faff! update error 80240020 and seems to be a big problem for many!  >:(

Somehow beaten win update into finally restarting the download package so i will have wait a couple of hours to see if i have moved forward with the upgrade process.

Glad i am trying this on a 'spare' machine and not my beloved Win7 desktop.

Napalm Nick

You could do what I did - get the ISO from MS and use a disk to upgrade. Yep I know you shouldn't have to.
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

h106frp

If this all goes to rats that the next step, my little box has a genuine MS win7 code sticker on the base is that code all you need for iso install?

HornetMaX

Quote from: h106frp on August 06, 2015, 06:24:24 PM
If this all goes to rats that the next step, my little box has a genuine MS win7 code sticker on the base is that code all you need for iso install?
If you use the ISO to upgrade, you don't need any code, it will find it by itself if I recall correctly.

MaX.

Napalm Nick

Quote from: h106frp on August 06, 2015, 06:24:24 PM
A fresh install with that code might not work. If it is like windows 8 (not 8.1) then the key is useless - you must upgrade using the disk (you can then interrogate 10 to get the new key and fresh install).

If updating using a disk you created from iso then you are right Max, it will do the activation thing all by itself.
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

HornetMaX

For a fresh install you need a win10 key.

But if you update (even from and ISO), it will convert your win7/8 key to a win10 key and you're set.

MaX.

h106frp

Not the smoothest process and i was on the verge of using the ISO when the on line update process finally lived up.

2 hours later and win10 is on the spare PC, first impressions are good, all hardware present and correct  :)

Switching off the tracking stuff was actually quite painless, just hit 'custom' during first start.  :)

Apparently it is now loading a service pack!  ??? 

Now the painful part seeing if all my development software and hardware works OK, not expecting this bit to go well  :(

It does look very lovely though and being a windows phone owner (i know, but i like it as a business phone ::) ) it all feels quite familiar.

HornetMaX

Quote from: h106frp on August 06, 2015, 10:59:59 PM
Switching off the tracking stuff was actually quite painless, just hit 'custom' during first start.  :)
Read th eposted tutorials, as the "custom" install is not enough, some stuff is left ON.

MaX.

BOBR6 84

So.. Is all this inevitable?

God help me lol  ::)

SKD

Does Win 10 use the same serial key as win7 when you upgrade? Is it possible to install Win 7 again using the old key once you upgraded to win 10?

HornetMaX

Quote from: SKD on August 07, 2015, 05:48:48 AM
Does Win 10 use the same serial key as win7 when you upgrade? Is it possible to install Win 7 again using the old key once you upgraded to win 10?
It converts your old win7/8 key into a win10 key and it de-activate the old win7/8 key. So no, you will not be able to install win7 with the old key.

Only thing you can do (within 1 month from activation) is to downgrade your win10 back to win7/8 (but some had troubles in doing so).

To be fair, as far as I've read around must updates went very smoothly.

MaX.