• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 21, 2024, 12:02:50 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Mountains at Aragon

Started by HornetMaX, April 13, 2016, 10:22:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HornetMaX

Quote from: Hawk on April 13, 2016, 02:37:12 PM
Quote from: HornetMaX on April 13, 2016, 02:11:15 PM
Come on trackmaster Hawk, get your hands dirty and do a test :)
Haha!  ;D
I'll do you a deal Max.... You do the live replay plugin we want for live-streaming events and I'll do this test.  ;D
I'll do something like showing the current standings and gaps on an overlay, that was already in my plans (it would help me a bit if PiBoSo took the time to briefly explain how to create our own fonts with sprgen, but I can do without).

I won't do anything around camera control: that's something GPB must provide (well, it already provides it, probably just needs some improvement).
BTW, what would you need in terms of camera control that is not already there ?

TFC

Sorry guys, I'm not sure of the correct terminology to use here :)..  Let me try!

If you create a skydome, which by definition is a dome / 3d object (although I'm aware it can be a cube or other shape) in game it acts as though it's origin is the viewport at all times - As if you never get closer or further away from it.. Almost like you're wearing an umbrella hat..

The same is true for background.edf. It's essentially the same thing as a skydome, except it's rendered before the skydome I guess?.. Definitely in front of it.

So to conclude, you never get further away or closer to it, it's origin is the viewport. Although I'm not sure it's being converted to an image, it definitely doesn't offer any perspective.

As an example in MX-Bikes, let's say you ride on the stock 'Practice Track': The sky is 'clearsky.edf' and the trees you see on the horizon are 'background.edf'.

And MaX, I agree with having one place for all this! I come here quite often (and KRP) to search for things I can't find the answer to in the Wiki or on MXB ;)

Grooveski

Cheers for clearing things up.
...and the tip about dropping backdrop rings in with skydomes to avoid shadows.   ;)

Quote from: Hawk on April 13, 2016, 02:05:45 PMI'm not sure there is true LOD processing..... The draw distance seems to be the only optimisation going on for drawing objects but that is not true LOD processing?

For a real-deal lod setup you have two draw distances and three models.   In the first bubble the high poly model is rendered, between that and the second bubble it's the next model down then outside that is the last(very simple) model.  The game's switching models on the fly as the bubbles move around with you.

That'd be nice but just a single model layer unaffected by draw distance would do to be getting on with.  It'd sort out the landscape woes and give some scope to fake-lod things to avoid them springing into view.   :)

Hawk

Hmmm.... Interesting.... I see what your saying there TFC..... So it could be useful to do a test with a full blown 3D background scene? I say this because if it transforms and renders points for a single plane image as the background(as you say a skydome is a 3D object in virtual space), then there is a chance that it could also transform and render a full 3D background scene in virtual space?  ;D

I'll do a test and we'll see what happens.  ;D

Thanks TFC!  ;) 8)

Hawk.

Hawk

Quote from: HornetMaX on April 13, 2016, 02:42:36 PM
Quote from: Hawk on April 13, 2016, 02:37:12 PM
Quote from: HornetMaX on April 13, 2016, 02:11:15 PM
Come on trackmaster Hawk, get your hands dirty and do a test :)
Haha!  ;D
I'll do you a deal Max.... You do the live replay plugin we want for live-streaming events and I'll do this test.  ;D
I'll do something like showing the current standings and gaps on an overlay, that was already in my plans (it would help me a bit if PiBoSo took the time to briefly explain how to create our own fonts with sprgen, but I can do without).

I won't do anything around camera control: that's something GPB must provide (well, it already provides it, probably just needs some improvement).
BTW, what would you need in terms of camera control that is not already there ?

Camera Controls: The problem with the current camera controls on Live Replay during live streaming is that the producer/commentator has to open the drop-down menu to select a rider from the list - this is very intrusive during a live stream as you can see it happening on screen. It would be so much better to be able to click on one of the rider widgets to change camera that you plan to have on screen that show a riders position during the race.

Also having your dynamic track map on the replay screen for the producer/commentator to be able to see were the action is happening during the race too would be great too, otherwise the producer/commentator cannot see were the action is happening and has to keep flicking through the different riders to see what is happening(very frustrating to see this during live streaming). In other words the Commentator would be operating blind without your dynamic map to reference the action during the race.

Either that or some kind of unobtrusive character field were the producer could enter the number of the rider(the commentator could see from your track map) and that would take you to the camera for that rider?  :)

But definitely being able to just click on the rider position widgets that you plan to create would be the best and most usable option for the live stream producer to change cameras.  ;D

Maybe DD would have some other ideas too that would be of great help on live replay for live stream events?  :)

Hawk.

TFC

No problem, interested to see what you come up with Hawk, be sure to post! :)

HornetMaX

Quote from: Hawk on April 13, 2016, 03:58:44 PM
Camera Controls: The problem with the current camera controls on Live Replay during live streaming is that the producer/commentator has to open the drop-down menu to select a rider from the list - this is very intrusive during a live stream as you can see it happening on screen. It would be so much better to be able to click on one of the rider widgets to change camera that you plan to have on screen that show a riders position during the race.
I disagree: to be able to click on a dot on the track map you'll have to have a mouse pointer showing on the screen. How's that in terms of intrusiveness ?

The proper way to do that is via keyboard shortcuts (e.g. ctrl+ 0..9 = riders in pos 1..10, alt + 0..9 = riders in pos 11..20, ctrl+alt+0..9 = riders in pos 21..30 etc).
Plus shortcuts for prev/next rider, usual tv-style camera sets etc).

And all that is something GPB can (and should) do without any plugin.

Also having your dynamic track map on the replay screen for the producer/commentator to be able to see were the action is happening during the race too would be great too, otherwise the producer/commentator cannot see were the action is happening and has to keep flicking through the different riders to see what is happening(very frustrating to see this during live streaming). In other words the Commentator would be operating blind without your dynamic map to reference the action during the race.
Having the map (and some other widgets) during live replay mode is something I can and will do (that too was already in my todo list). No ETA however.

Hawk

Quote from: HornetMaX on April 13, 2016, 07:23:05 PM
I disagree: to be able to click on a dot on the track map you'll have to have a mouse pointer showing on the screen. How's that in terms of intrusiveness ?

The proper way to do that is via keyboard shortcuts (e.g. ctrl+ 0..9 = riders in pos 1..10, alt + 0..9 = riders in pos 11..20, ctrl+alt+0..9 = riders in pos 21..30 etc).
Plus shortcuts for prev/next rider, usual tv-style camera sets etc).

And all that is something GPB can (and should) do without any plugin.

Having the map (and some other widgets) during live replay mode is something I can and will do (that too was already in my todo list). No ETA however.

Do it the way you feel is best Max.... As long as it does the job well that's the main thing.  ;D ;) 8)

I can't wait to see it! (ETA pending) ;D

Hawk.

HornetMaX

Quote from: Hawk on April 13, 2016, 08:49:09 PM
Do it the way you feel is best Max.... As long as it does the job well that's the main thing.  ;D ;) 8)
For the cam part, you'll have to see this with the boss :)

I have to update MaxSCL: poor Warlock not only has the toughest job out there (creating decent bike sounds with minimal tools) but has also been waiting for this forever :)

Hawk

Quote from: HornetMaX on April 13, 2016, 09:10:14 PM
For the cam part, you'll have to see this with the boss :)

I have to update MaxSCL: poor Warlock not only has the toughest job out there (creating decent bike sounds with minimal tools) but has also been waiting for this forever :)

Okay no worries Max, whenever your ready mate.  ;) 8)

Hawk.