• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Rumble in MaxHUD - discussion

Started by HornetMaX, July 20, 2015, 12:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Napalm Nick

Sounds great Max.

Are you wary of doing rumble on wheel locks because it might (I am unsure as yet) be considered an advantage over people not using the plugin? Or does this new XYZ acceleration rumble cover that scenario? I would like to see this implemented (if possible) because I think it might be great to add to the feel, but I also understand the advantage/disadvantage potential predicament. Tricky!
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

h106frp

Looking forward  to trying this.  8)

The poll suggests that most controllers have rumble available, so as long as you can switch it on/off it's just personal choice.

HornetMaX

Quote from: Napalm Nick on July 26, 2015, 03:48:42 PM
Are you wary of doing rumble on wheel locks because it might (I am unsure as yet) be considered an advantage over people not using the plugin? Or does this new XYZ acceleration rumble cover that scenario? I would like to see this implemented (if possible) because I think it might be great to add to the feel, but I also understand the advantage/disadvantage potential predicament. Tricky!
It's more a philosophical  thing ... the rumble based on acceleration can be considered as "pysics-based": it rumbles if the bikes rumble. Rumble when braking is kind of artificial.

MaX.

Napalm Nick

Understood.  Maybe it could be justified under the physics induced phenomenon we call "chatter"  ;)
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

matty0l215

Quote from: HornetMaX on July 26, 2015, 09:06:30 PM
Quote from: Napalm Nick on July 26, 2015, 03:48:42 PM
It's more a philosophical  thing ... the rumble based on acceleration can be considered as "pysics-based": it rumbles if the bikes rumble. Rumble when braking is kind of artificial.

MaX.
what if you were locking the front wheel??
For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

HornetMaX

Quote from: Napalm Nick on July 26, 2015, 09:15:44 PM
Understood.  Maybe it could be justified under the physics induced phenomenon we call "chatter"  ;)
If the bike chatters, then the acceleration-based rumble will pick that up.

BTW chatter is a complex beast, it's not even sure GPB can simulate it.

Quote from: matty0l215 on July 26, 2015, 09:34:35 PM
what what ? You want it to rumble when locking ?

MaX.

tseklias

Quote from: HornetMaX on July 26, 2015, 11:11:15 PM

that would have been really cool  :)

matty0l215

Quote from: HornetMaX on July 26, 2015, 11:11:15 PM

MaX.

Now thinking about it more, the front wheel doesn't skip when locked :-[ (something told me it sometimes happened... maybe I'm going mad :P)

It might not be 100% realistic, but it would give you something to realize that you've locked up.

Edit- I'm not talking like 10 on the Richter scale just a little warning, it might help people to learn how to break and realize how easy it is to lock up :)

HornetMaX

The general idea is: if anything (e.g. locking the rear) makes the bike rumble, I'll make the joypad rumble.

The more I think about it the more I'm convinced I shouldn't make it rumble "when sliding" (assuming I can detect this). Notice that even "locking" is not that straightforward:

• Even talking only about longitudinal slip (i.e forget about lateral), the tyre is sliding well before it is fully locked.
  • What about locking while the tyre is not on the ground ?

Even "rumble on brake input" is losing my consideration: I have it done, but it just doesn't feel right.

But the acceleration based rumble works like a beauty ! I'm pondering releasing a v1.9.9b just for that :)

MaX.

BOBR6 84

Front braking rumble would turn GPB into motogp by milestone..

Front brake in GPB is probably (for me) one of the best parts of the simulation..

If anything, rumble would ruin the ''feel'' but thats just my opinion.. If you could turn it on/off - no worries.

Napalm Nick

Bring on V1.9.9b and we shall judge it (and you) with the same mercy shown to 'speckled Jim' at his infamous trial during WW1  :P

matty0l215

Quote from: BOBR6 84 on July 27, 2015, 09:20:18 PM
If you could turn it on/off - no worries.

This is the best option :P it's alright for those who can already ride fast.

Just my idea on making it easier for new players. I shall retret back into my cuboad of no Development input ;) :P ;D

Napalm Nick

I have v1.9.9b but now I am too tired to test it, Jim. Tomorrow then.  8) thx

Napalm Nick

Off to try it now MAX will let you know

HornetMaX

Give it a try on other bikes too (I only tried it with the 990): others seem to say that on other bikes it may not work that well (e.g. on SBK no rumble when shifting gears).

MaX.