• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 06:16:54 AM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

Connection bandwidth setting?

Started by h106frp, August 05, 2015, 10:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

h106frp

What should i set this to?

What is considered low/med/high bandwidth?

And what impact does it have on the online sim?

Thanks

WALKEN

That depends on how much you want to sacrifice on your end.
Help me, help you!

BOBR6 84

Good question! Absolutely no idea what it does.. I have it set to ''high' anyway..  ???

WALKEN

August 05, 2015, 11:05:19 PM #3 Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 11:12:43 PM by WALKEN
Bandwidth is what your internet provider (ip) offers you. For instance I get 30+ mbps download speed and 5+ mbps upload speed.

Upload is important for online gaming. as you are sending and receiving.

http://www.speedtest.net/

Check your speed.
Help me, help you!

h106frp

Quote from: WALKEN on August 05, 2015, 10:46:45 PM
That depends on how much you want to sacrifice on your end.

???

Just thinking that bandwidth could be anything from dialup to Mbit.

Is this only applicable to hosting then?

I just do not see how the required data could be limited or how it would effect on line performance.  Does it apply to packet sizes or something?

BOBR6 84

On paper I have 100mb download and 10mb up!

Il check it though..

WALKEN

If I'm hosting and its you and I only, I'm  able to send 5+ mbps to you and receive 30+ mbps from you. If you are only able to send 1 mbps to me you may appear to lag.  Or vice versa, does that make sense?  The goal is low ping rate.
Help me, help you!

h106frp

Really wanted a guide of bandwidths vs game setting and any pros/cons for this setting

i.e. for downstream bandwidth

LOW = <5 M (typical for copper telecom)

MED > 5M <50M  basic fiber.

HIGH >50 high bandwidth fiber.

With any guidance on effect of ping and up stream bandwidth, i.e. poor ping possibly set to LOW

So how does this setting help the connection?

WALKEN

August 05, 2015, 11:30:40 PM #8 Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 11:56:02 PM by WALKEN
On the speed test you will receive your ping rate in the left corner, mine is 39ms atm, which is considered low. 

But I'm not exactly sure what the question is?

I'm not sure if there is any conclusive guide for bandwidth setting, there are so many factors from server to multiple connections. So having a low ping on your end is beneficial for a starting point. How you decide to set that in game is up to you?   

If you host, set it to 50ms, then anyone with a high ping rate over 50ms will not make the lobby, less chance for lag.

I'm hosting right now, in Linux using the 125, see if you can join, its set at 50ms max. 
Help me, help you!

HornetMaX

Depending on the setting, GPB will render more or less other riders on your client while you play.
Just set it to high, unless you live in australia an play on a UK server (or viceversa): in that case, you'll have to try out if med or low give better results (but I doubt).

MaX.

h106frp

Thanks,

So i guess its like a draw distance setting - instructing the server not to send data for other players data distant from yourself reducing the bandwidth requirement.

So if all the graphic information for rendering is on the local client i.e. bikes/paints/track and so no impact on net bandwidth; LOW probably suffers worst when everyone is bunched up i.e. grid and first corner with fluctuating bandwidth requirement. HIGH would keep the bandwidth requirement more stable during the whole session.

HornetMaX

Quote from: h106frp on August 06, 2015, 09:05:54 AM
So i guess its like a draw distance setting - instructing the server not to send data for other players data distant from yourself reducing the bandwidth requirement.
That's my understanding of it (but it could potentially be a bit more complex, doing other stuff when it knows that the connection is low).

Quote from: h106frp on August 06, 2015, 09:05:54 AM
So if all the graphic information for rendering is on the local client i.e. bikes/paints/track and so no impact on net bandwidth;
But all the information is not on the local client (unless you're offline or alone), it is sent by the server.

Bike/paints/tracks are not sent by the server: it just sends their "names", once.
What is sent is the status of each bike: position, attittude etc. Likely the entire state vector of each bike is sent, so that some sort of interpolation can be done locally in between server messages).
Setting "low" will limit the number of bikes your local client sees, so less data to be sent from the server to your client.

MaX.