• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:12:42 AM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Curing Understeer

Started by GFC486, December 02, 2019, 07:01:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GFC486

Hello,

New to GPBikes and I love it. How do I go on about curing understeer? The bike seems to understeer from the center of the corner off, particularly in slow speed corners. I am currently at Jerez, but this characteristic seems present at just about every track. BTW I am riding 250cc and 500cc if that makes a difference.

Myst1cPrun3

The 250cc, and 500cc are 2 stroke, and as such shouldn't have any engine braking. Try using the rear brake, or adjusting the setup.

GFC486

I have been adjusting the set up, but don't know much about bikes. Also, I don't engine brake with the 2-strokes. I have found a few guides, not much luck though. I have played around with the brake settings, ride height, bump/rebound, etc. Is there a good guide floating around?

Grooveski

February 03, 2020, 01:53:56 PM #3 Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 02:13:04 PM by Grooveski
Hi GFC.  :)

Things you could try are:
Lower the rake angle - steeper forks will quicken the steering.
Raise rear ride height(effectively steepening the forks again).
Raise the swingarm pivot - reduces rear squat (squat increases rake angle).
Increase rear preload and/or compression damping - again for reducing squat.
Shorten the wheelbase(swingarm length).

Also:
Reduce the fork offset until the front end gets twitchy(then go back up a couple of mm).
Use a harder rear tyre - less grip means more spin means more oversteer.  Quite a few(maybe all?) of the the changes already mentioned will lose you traction anyway).
Be more aggressive with the throttle(I'm a slowpoke but I certainly see the quick guys lighting it up more than I do to tighten turns).

Do all these things and hopefully the bike should become a twitchy, head-shaking oversteering nightmare.  ;D   Then you can selectively back off the settings until you find your sweet spot.