Quote from: Wimp #97 on March 29, 2018, 11:38:58 AMI don't think they would be going much faster in one lap over the course of many laps. You are right, I would say they'd be only marginally faster for their best lap time if the number of laps is large enough. What I meant was, irl you have a tendency to approach the limit 'from the bottom', by getting progressively faster. Each lap you push a bit more, because falling has consequences. In GPB people have a tendency to approach the limit 'from above', by going all out from the get-go, crashing a lot. Until they manage to get away with everything and finish a lap. And that sort of conditions the average GPB rider to ride recklessly, with a tendency to push over the limit. I think that is one reason why people crash so often in races.
If you really believe that without any injuries, unlimited bikes, these guys would go much faster than I think you don't grasp how skilled these guys are. They are always ON the limit, if they go over it, they feel it/ catch the bike most of the times. Its not because the bike is sliding that you crash. If there was no risk in what they were doing I doubt they would even be going 0.2 faster than with risks.
Quote from: Wimp #97 on March 29, 2018, 11:38:58 AMI don't want to argue over this, because it is not that relevant for the inital topic. But in a race you cannot go at 100% risk, otherwise you won't finish. Humans are not robots, we all have a margin of error. And if you aim at going 100%, you might be able to do that for 5 laps, but you are going to hit 100.1% sooner or later and you are out of the race. If you aim at 100% of your limit each lap, you might finish a race with 1% chance. If you aim at 99% of your limit each lap, you might finish a race with 50% chance. If you aim at at 98% of your limit each lap, you might finish a race with 80% chance etc. etc. If you aim at at 90% of your limit each lap, you might finish a race with 99% chance. And those percentages differ for each rider, based on their talent. It is always a risk-reward ratio. Nobody can consistently go at the limit and expect to finish a race. Great riders are fast AND have a smaller margin of error, so they can go fast more consistently.
The only thing stopping these guys to go faster is the amount of grip there is, not the amount of risk they are willing to take.
I remember a Ayrton Senna quote. I cannot find it by googling, but from the top of my head it was to the effect that one can approach 100% risk during Qualifying and during some laps in a race. But over a whole race distance one has to resort to 95% of one's own maximum, otherwise one will crash out. A friend of mine had that quote printed on his wall and I thought that makes a lot sense.
Btw, why do you think Rossi has a tendency to have far better race results than qualifying? My take is that Rossi has a tendency to take 1% less risk in qualifying because he knows it is not worth it. Taking that 1% more could cost him the season (and he has only 2-3 seasons left) while all he can gain is 3-5 spots in the starting grid. And in the race he has the ability to race very consistent at a high level out-performing riders that are not faster than him, but were willing to take higher risks in qualifying. According to your logic (every rider always is at 100%), there would be no difference in race and qualifying pace between riders...