• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Smooth out engine braking

Started by Vini, November 21, 2019, 05:31:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vini

As can be seen by the MaxHUD plugin, GPB currently modulates the engine brake by spamming the throttle with small inputs at a high frequency.
I think these aggressive throttle bursts can cause sudden load transfers and lead to lowsides when rolling at high lean angles (off-throttle).

I suggest that GPB simply keeps the throttle constant at a small value in order to achieve the same net (negative) torque.

Myst1cPrun3

+1

This style could also be applied to the rest of the electronics to be honest.

Tc these days is 'slide controlvand smoothly limits wheel spin, instead of cutting power on and off,
And anti wheelie is now' wheelie control'where it smooths out the power again to limit how far a wheelie comes up instead of cutting power and preventing wheelies.

All in all I think electronics are high ish on the lost of things to do, but this would be a huge improvement for bike use and braking stability +1 deffo

Vini

Ultimately all electronic aids should be smoother, yes but I was specifically talking about EB because smoothing it out should be pretty straightforward.
It's probably more tricky for AW and TC because you'd have to predict the tyre's slip angle and take into account throttle and lean inputs by the player.
For EB, the tyre is out of the equation. It is purely about the engine and how much (negative) torque it puts onto the driveshaft when there is 0 throttle input by the player.

Myst1cPrun3

Hawk

It's a matter of getting that slipper clutch & back torque working properly....

As far as I understand it, this is something that has been an issue for years and never fully resolved?

It's so frustrating and infuriating after so long when we continually see totally new features being started and worked on before these old issues have been properly sorted out.

Myst1cPrun3

And even when engine braking is not electronically adjustable, its not particularly realistic to be fair, as the back just slides. There is no slight judder as the rear tries to lock, or even squeal from the tyres. And the revs won't just drop to idle either, as they do on the M2 bike. (Some of the Mod bikes interestingly have this fixed)

Hawk

Quote from: Myst1cPrun3 on November 22, 2019, 08:06:36 PMAnd even when engine braking is not electronically adjustable, its not particularly realistic to be fair, as the back just slides. There is no slight judder as the rear tries to lock, or even squeal from the tyres. And the revs won't just drop to idle either, as they do on the M2 bike. (Some of the Mod bikes interestingly have this fixed)

If the slipper clutch work correctly the rear shouldn't lock-up anyway... The rear to slide yes, but not lock-up..... This is what the slipper clutch is designed to stop happening cause it's bloody dangerous for the rear wheel to fully lock up cause then it's out of the riders control.

Vini