• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:31:20 AM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

question about making custom bike rig

Started by keco2002, December 07, 2019, 03:45:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keco2002

so i was wanting to try and make a rig where i have to lean in real life in order to lean in game, but i noticed in this game there isn't a separate axis for steering and lean. is it possible to have a way to move the handlebars independently of leaning the bike?

teeds

December 07, 2019, 11:10:53 AM #1 Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 11:12:37 AM by teeds
You can lean the rider and you can ask the virtual rider to steer the bike to create lean on the bike, this is the default control mode. There's also game control modes where you can do the steering yourself directly to lean the bike. But leaning the bike and steering are intrinsically linked like irl, so you can't control both separately if yo see what I mean. If you go for the direct steering mode things do get a lot harder to control, which is why most stick with the default control method. Ideally you'd do the (counter) steering on your rig, get feedback from the game about the resulting lean angle of the bike and have motors lean your rig accordingly, but that's not so easy to do but is possible.

Some use a similar and simpler way of doing this and just move around a bike rig that's sprung loaded to center and measure that lean angle to send to the game using the default controls, kinda like a big bike shaped joystick.

HTH, and welcome  :)

keco2002

what do you mean the lean and steering and lean are linked like in real life, im new to motorcycles in general and i dont really know much.

Chris_Beeves

Quote from: keco2002 on December 07, 2019, 04:52:25 PMwhat do you mean the lean and steering and lean are linked like in real life, im new to motorcycles in general and i dont really know much.

When a bike is up to speed it is impossible to just "lean it" due to the gyroscopic forces and the geometry of the tires. (That is why so many are skeptical to the lean-to-steer controllers)

However, to turn a bike needs to lean. So the rider only has one choice, and that is to turn the handlebars to the opposite direction of that which he wants to turn. That puts the bike of balance and leans the bike in the direction the rider wants to go. This is where the geometry of the tires starts to do their magic. It's the same thing as laying a glass on its side and rolling it.  It turns.
Shifting your body weight adds to the effect, since the center of gravity moves further from the middle axis.

The result of this is that;
To steer a motorcycle, you need to turn the handlebars. The lean is a response to that. They are "Linked".
Does that make sense?

Things are of course a bit more complicated than this, but it's a start. :)
I had to try..

keco2002