• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:30:49 AM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Bad Framerates - GPU/CPU barely used??

Started by Vini, December 18, 2019, 02:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vini

After updating my nvidia drivers, I noticed very bad performance in GP Bikes. Before I had constant 200fps. Now, I cannot even keep 100 without drops.
I looked at my GPU and CPU usage and in both cases it's not even above 50%.

What is going on here?

teeds

You're not alone Vini, others have reported the same on DC, are you using the 441.66 drivers?

Vini

yes newest version.

so there is no fix? they cannot be serious with this shit.

Hawk

Quote from: Vini on December 19, 2019, 03:07:45 PMyes newest version.

so there is no fix? they cannot be serious with this shit.

Roll back your driver version.

Docfumi

I didn't lose the race, I ran out of laps.

Vini

December 20, 2019, 08:03:16 PM #5 Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 09:42:12 PM by Vini
Memory isn't an issue as GPB is 64bit now and already uses more than 2.4GB when loading the Nordschleife with the MotoGP bikes for example.

Already tried older drivers and performance was only marginally improved (GPU usage ~60%).

Did some research and it seems that OpenGL in general is simply shit and inefficient. AMD's OpenGL driver is even worse than nvidia's.

Still, I am relatievly sure that GPB used to run a lot faster but maybe it's just the new tracks being much more demanding...

adrmelandri

Quote from: Vini on December 20, 2019, 08:03:16 PMMemory isn't an issue as GPB is 64bit now and already uses more than 2.4GB when loading the Nordschleife with the MotoGP bikes for example.

Already tried older drivers and performance was only marginally improved (GPU usage ~60%).

Did some research and it seems that OpenGL in general is simply shit and inefficient. AMD's OpenGL driver is even worse than nvidia's.

Still, I am relatievly sure that GPB used to run a lot faster but maybe it's just the new tracks being much more demanding...
I think it's because of the new tracks.. i have rx580 and still experience fps drops, like in Jerez, one of the heaviest track I believe
Das Leben ist kein Ponyhof.
Life is not a child's play.
https://adrmeisterwerk.wordpress.com/

Hawk

So long as you fps doesn't drop below your monitor refresh rate then your good to go guys.

If your monitor is 60Hz and your game is running at 60fps at it's minimum(slowest) then any fps faster than that will be totally irrelevant. ;)

h106frp

Avoid HDR mode as it hits fps pretty hard if your struggling for rate, the same applies for wet tracks - big fps hit.

Big textures appear to be the issue with tracks, not particularly the geometry count so reducing the texture detail slider should help a lot.

Vini

Quote from: Hawk on December 22, 2019, 06:27:29 PMSo long as you fps doesn't drop below your monitor refresh rate then your good to go guys.
If your monitor is 60Hz and your game is running at 60fps at it's minimum(slowest) then any fps faster than that will be totally irrelevant. ;)
I'm running a 120Hz monitor and my FPS drops to 80 on Valencia, even lower on Sepang so it's definitely a problem. Going to 60Hz is not an option because of the input lag.
Even the framedrops above 120fps are noticable to me because my monitor has a strobe-backlight eliminating all ghosting/motion blur but also making any asynchronities very apparent. That's why I run all games with an FPS cap of 125 or 250.

Already had the textures on medium, further decreasing to low didn't yielf a lot of performance gain.
Javi says GPB can't handle the amount of polygons...

Myst1cPrun3

One thing, I've just noticed, while looking for optimisation tips for Tarkov, is that 'Threaded Optimisation' in the NVidia Control panel can help the GPU usage. Not sure if its relevant here as I've not tested it, but worth a look for people struggling.

doubledragoncc

True MPR but one thing you have to remember is that GPB is openGL that a major issue with modern drivers
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

Myst1cPrun3

Thats true.

Not much to do with Open GL, aside from forcing it to render on the GPU, as that sometimes defaults away for Open GL in the control panel