• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:28:25 AM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

File Encryption Tool for Modders Please Piboso?

Started by Hawk, February 21, 2020, 02:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doubledragoncc

Hawk, I never got round to working with psd files and photoshop so use only coreldraw and tga as that is what the pnt requires. I have too much to do so time is rare lol

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

Hawk

Quote from: doubledragoncc on February 29, 2020, 06:44:26 PMHawk, I never got round to working with psd files and photoshop so use only coreldraw and tga as that is what the pnt requires. I have too much to do so time is rare lol

DD

I was just curious DD, that's all mate.  ;)  8)

If you can find the time to give it a go sometime in the future you really should try working with the .psd layered file for painting skins. They are just so easy and quick to work with; all the different parts in the paint are separated into the different layers(including the occlusion-lighting & shadows) ready to paint straight away and then all you have to do is save the result of all the layers together as a single .tga file for PNT. Done sorted. ;D  ;)

doubledragoncc

I know Hawk, but after Events House trying to steal and take credit for my 2020 Sit On system and screwing me over I am so busy and stressed it wont happen this year lol.

One day when Im older lol

Just need a pnt to start with for now

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

HornetMaX

Just personal opinion here.

I totally agree that copying without crediting is bad practice, but I still don't get what the authors of encrypted mods would gain from that.

I mean: modder B rips from modder A. What does modder A stand to lose from that ?

If mods were sold for real money then OK something should be done (note this would go much further than simple encryption) but as this is not the case today, what's the problem for modder A ? Where's the damage for him or for the community ?

I have the impression that the whole discussion boils down to: "if modder B rips from modder A without crediting, modder A gets angry for ePeen reasons" (translated: because modder B is somehow claiming to be as good or better than modder A). I think it's futile: with unencrypted mods, anynbody can see who  has ripped from who. Just post on the fourm something like "Hi modder B, this is modder A. Thanks for ripping our mod without permission and without crediting us.". Just shame them.

Hawk

Quote from: HornetMaX on March 01, 2020, 11:38:06 AMJust personal opinion here.

I totally agree that copying without crediting is bad practice, but I still don't get what the authors of encrypted mods would gain from that.

I mean: modder B rips from modder A. What does modder A stand to lose from that ?

If mods were sold for real money then OK something should be done (note this would go much further than simple encryption) but as this is not the case today, what's the problem for modder A ? Where's the damage for him or for the community ?

I have the impression that the whole discussion boils down to: "if modder B rips from modder A without crediting, modder A gets angry for ePeen reasons" (translated: because modder B is somehow claiming to be as good or better than modder A). I think it's futile: with unencrypted mods, anynbody can see who  has ripped from who. Just post on the fourm something like "Hi modder B, this is modder A. Thanks for ripping our mod without permission and without crediting us.". Just shame them.

I feel your missing the point Max......

If your amateur modder wants to continue to mod without encryption then fine, let them if Piboso wants to continue to allow that, it's fine. BUT.... I personally think that if you want to have the more professional modders come-in and donate work to Piboso's projects then Piboso needs to supply an Encryption tool for, shall we say, the more professionally minded "Modders" who put in hundreds of hours of work on their projects often out of shear passion alone to provide products for these games/sims. Plus the fact that if your of a professional mind then you have to protect the IP of any material used from being ripped off by those unscrupulous people who are inclined to do so.......

The simple fact is that when modders rip-off the work of others then it gives all modders a bad reputation, and indeed it also gives the developer of the product they are modding for a bad reputation too.... At least if the dev supplies an encryption tool they are kind of mitigating that responsibility soley onto the modders.

Personally if I was Piboso I would operate the modding the same as Eagle Dynamics do for DCS World..... There is nothing worse for a game than to have free for all modding where you always get so many crap mods for the game it actually starts to hurt the main products image/reputation and subsequent sales too.

So no.... If your of the more "Pro" minded modder then it's not got anything to do with ego's and the attitude your putting forward as the reason we want an encryption tool.... It's about being and acting in a professional manner and pro-promoting that as the way to be. It really should be something that all developers who promote modding should adhere to in an attempt to not only stop unscrupulous modding practices but to make those bad practices a scourge on the modding community. While people/devs continue to support the free for all model of modding then modding will always be a contentious issue, especially for those that want to see modding develop into a genuinely respected supplement to developers base products..... Good modders can in actual fact greatly increase sales of a devs base product if the dev operates the modding in a professional manner.... I'd say at this time, Piboso is "Old School" and is therefore not promoting a professional modding community but rather promoting an unscrupulous modding community..... People eventually reap what they sow, right? ;)

Just my opinion guys...  ;)

javiliyors

Quote from: Hawk on March 02, 2020, 12:22:01 AM
Quote from: HornetMaX on March 01, 2020, 11:38:06 AMJust personal opinion here.

I feel your missing the point Max......

If your amateur modder wants to continue to mod without encryption then fine, let them if Piboso wants to continue to allow that, it's fine. BUT.... I personally think that if you want to have the more professional modders come-in and donate work to Piboso's projects then Piboso needs to supply an Encryption tool for, shall we say, the more professionally minded "Modders" who put in hundreds of hours of work on their projects often out of shear passion alone to provide products for these games/sims. Plus the fact that if your of a professional mind then you have to protect the IP of any material used from being ripped off by those unscrupulous people who are inclined to do so.......

The simple fact is that when modders rip-off the work of others then it gives all modders a bad reputation, and indeed it also gives the developer of the product they are modding for a bad reputation too.... At least if the dev supplies an encryption tool they are kind of mitigating that responsibility soley onto the modders.

Personally if I was Piboso I would operate the modding the same as Eagle Dynamics do for DCS World..... There is nothing worse for a game than to have free for all modding where you always get so many crap mods for the game it actually starts to hurt the main products image/reputation and subsequent sales too.

So no.... If your of the more "Pro" minded modder then it's not got anything to do with ego's and the attitude your putting forward as the reason we want an encryption tool.... It's about being and acting in a professional manner and pro-promoting that as the way to be. It really should be something that all developers who promote modding should adhere to in an attempt to not only stop unscrupulous modding practices but to make those bad practices a scourge on the modding community. While people/devs continue to support the free for all model of modding then modding will always be a contentious issue, especially for those that want to see modding develop into a genuinely respected supplement to developers base products..... Good modders can in actual fact greatly increase sales of a devs base product if the dev operates the modding in a professional manner.... I'd say at this time, Piboso is "Old School" and is therefore not promoting a professional modding community but rather promoting an unscrupulous modding community..... People eventually reap what they sow, right? ;)

Just my opinion guys...  ;)

I think same +1

Vini

to add another point, it is quite difficult to give good feedback when you have no idea what was changed in the bike.
if you are going purely by feel then there will be tons of misunderstandings between modders and players/testers.

javiliyors

Quote from: Vini on March 02, 2020, 04:40:57 PMto add another point, it is quite difficult to give good feedback when you have no idea what was changed in the bike.
if you are going purely by feel then there will be tons of misunderstandings between modders and players/testers.

If you were a rider in real life, how would you give information to your engineers? Telling him that since the data is encrypted you cannot tell him that it has to change ... or will you transmit it for sensations?

Myst1cPrun3

Quote from: Vini on March 02, 2020, 04:40:57 PMto add another point, it is quite difficult to give good feedback when you have no idea what was changed in the bike.

THIS IS PERHAPS THE KEY POINT IN THE ENTIRE THREAD LOL ^^

Quote from: javiliyors on March 02, 2020, 05:32:06 PMIf you were a rider in real life, how would you give information to your engineers? Telling him that since the data is encrypted you cannot tell him that it has to change ... or will you transmit it for sensations?

You'd give feedback based off feeling, and then look at the data to confirm those feelings, or understand why the bike is doing what its doing. Either way you look at data.

The other issue with saying you should be giving mod feedback on feeling, is that this is GP Bikes... The only feelings 90% of us get are from a 3rd party plugin and involve a little controller vibrating. Not entirely conclusive enough if you ask me.
The guys on a steering wheel have a little more advantage, but even so, they don't get anywhere near enough feedback from the sim to be able to give anywhere close to accurate diagnostics.

The way to stop this would be to have a dedicated private testing group who you trust to use the non-encrypted mod, and who have a decent understanding of a motorcycles behaviour. Then encrypt it on a public release, if this is the way GPB is going.

Hawk

March 03, 2020, 11:45:56 AM #39 Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 11:47:45 AM by Hawk

It's the bikeMOD devs responsibility to list any changes in the change-log, You don't need an un-encrypted file to know what's changed, not that 99% of players would understand what any of the changes did to the bikeMODS handling or reactions anyway..... To put it kindly, I feel these kind of reactions are just excuses to not have an encryption tool.

Quote from: Myst1cPrun3 on March 02, 2020, 11:37:18 PM

THIS IS PERHAPS THE KEY POINT IN THE ENTIRE THREAD LOL ^^

Quote from: javiliyors on March 02, 2020, 05:32:06 PMIf you were a rider in real life, how would you give information to your engineers? Telling him that since the data is encrypted you cannot tell him that it has to change ... or will you transmit it for sensations?

You'd give feedback based off feeling, and then look at the data to confirm those feelings, or understand why the bike is doing what its doing. Either way you look at data.

The other issue with saying you should be giving mod feedback on feeling, is that this is GP Bikes... The only feelings 90% of us get are from a 3rd party plugin and involve a little controller vibrating. Not entirely conclusive enough if you ask me.
The guys on a steering wheel have a little more advantage, but even so, they don't get anywhere near enough feedback from the sim to be able to give anywhere close to accurate diagnostics.

The way to stop this would be to have a dedicated private testing group who you trust to use the non-encrypted mod, and who have a decent understanding of a motorcycles behaviour. Then encrypt it on a public release, if this is the way GPB is going.

I agree with Javi...... A rider tests a bike with changes and reports back how it is feeling and reacting to the devs, players don't need to know exactly what has been changed, that's the bikeMOD devs department, besides as I've stated above, 99% of players wouldn't have a clue what any changes mean anyway. So I just don't understand these excuses that keep cropping up against an encryption tool..... Just bordering on the lame excuse in my book considering we're not advocating that all modders must encrypt the files but only those that wish to; I just don't get the adversity to it all here? An encryption tool would provide solution to either side of the debate surely?

But I'm sure the modders who are anti-encryption will continue to provide you all with un-encrypted mods for people to study any changes if that's what some people want here? But testers are testers, they don't really need to know what's changed, they just need to report back how the bike is feeling & handling, that's all. If the testers were good at interpreting the physics data changes needed to get the bike handling properly then the devs would have them in the dev-team already, right. :)

If this anti-encryption attitude is simply a fear of not being able to learn how to mod a bike cause a lot of the files will be locked-off then don't be daft, you all know very well that this modding community likes to help newcomers to modding when we can...... So stop being drama queens! Anyone would think you were anti-Brexit/Pro EU supporters! Lol! :o  ;D  ;D

Vini

no modder lists every single thing he changed. it's usually only the things he deems significant and that is the exact situation where it's useful for the testers to be able to look in the bike cfg because some seemingly insignifcant adjustment might be causing unexpected problems.

Blackheart

March 03, 2020, 01:31:07 PM #41 Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 01:32:42 PM by Blackheart
Quote from: Hawk on March 03, 2020, 11:45:56 AMIf this anti-encryption attitude is simply a fear of not being able to learn how to mod a bike cause a lot of the files will be locked-off then don't be daft, you all know very well that this modding community likes to help newcomers to modding when we can...... So stop being drama queens! Anyone would think you were anti-Brexit/Pro EU supporters! Lol! :o  ;D  ;D

Who really want this tool?

Answer; Just who uses random data for the bikes and who uses copy\paste data from other mods. Very simple.

Hawk

Quote from: Blackheart on March 03, 2020, 01:31:07 PM
Quote from: Hawk on March 03, 2020, 11:45:56 AMIf this anti-encryption attitude is simply a fear of not being able to learn how to mod a bike cause a lot of the files will be locked-off then don't be daft, you all know very well that this modding community likes to help newcomers to modding when we can...... So stop being drama queens! Anyone would think you were anti-Brexit/Pro EU supporters! Lol! :o  ;D  ;D

Who really want this tool?

Answer; Just who uses random data for the bikes and who uses copy\paste data from other mods. Very simple.

Your first question I've already explained many times in this thread....

Your second part highlighted above, I really haven't got a clue what your talking about there mate. It seems to makes no sense or has no apparent relevance to what we're talking about here?

Blackheart

LoL

I tried to explain it to you, but you know nothing about bike modding, so it makes no sense to continue the discussion. Bye.

Hawk

Quote from: Blackheart on March 04, 2020, 09:56:42 AMLoL

I tried to explain it to you, but you know nothing about bike modding, so it makes no sense to continue the discussion. Bye.

LOLS!!!

As you well know Blackheart, The "Caws Team" have been around modding for GPBikes long before you appeared here in the GPBike community. As far as I am aware, we are currently the oldest modding team in the community..... Your just showing your total ignorance..... In fact it was the CAWS Team that often used to help you out when you were first starting to mod bikes for GPbikes.... Oh how your attitude has changed since then.

But what on earth has your post above got to do with bike modding and just what is it you say it is trying to explain..... Again your talking nonsense mate.