• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Discord to exchange useful information

Started by Hawk, May 31, 2020, 10:55:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawk

@Mystic: Are we sure Discord is a good place for exchanging useful information?

As far as I'm aware, Discord servers do not keep a record of any discussions or useful information for others to find easily as does a forum format?

PS: I don't frequent Discord servers for this very reason, but if you can prove me wrong then I'm very open to change my opinion on this.  ;)  8)

Myst1cPrun3

Quote from: Hawk on May 31, 2020, 10:55:42 AM@Mystic: Are we sure Discord is a good place for exchanging useful information?

As far as I'm aware, Discord servers do not keep a record of any discussions or useful information for others to find easily as does a forum format?

PS: I don't frequent Discord servers for this very reason, but if you can prove me wrong then I'm very open to change my opinion on this.  ;)  8)

Discord is pretty perfect TBF.

As for keeping record there is a search bar at the top so you can quite easily search for any message, since the actual channel was created, so nothing is really ever lost.

Even if you don't frequent it I'd say (for gpb) it's worth having as there are a bunch of mods on there that aren't allowed on the forum's, and it's much more active than here with gpb stuff.

Not saying the mods areany good, but it's worth it even if it's for a look

Vini

For chatting discord is great but that should be about it IMO.

Yes, there is a search bar but that is where it ends. Absolutely no organized structure for people to do some proper research.
Hell, even just getting together all the mods is a pain in the ass.

Myst1cPrun3

No worse than this forum 99% of the time

Takes ages to find anything

Vini

You have threads in a forum. In Discord a discussion is randomly spread over multiple pages or channels with all kind of off-topic sprinkled in. The level of discussion in general is also not as deep simply because of the quick/"chatty" nature of Discord.

Hawk

I totally agree Vini.....

From what I understand about Discord servers, they are good for general chats, but when it comes down to useful information that really needs categorising for ease of future referencing then Discord is not the medium to be using.

I think at the moment Discord Servers are the trendy/fashionable thing to be part of, but just like "Flash" should have been kept for just ad-banners and video, Discord Servers should be kept for what they were initially designed for and not used for something they were not designed for...... Who starts these silly trends-off? Hehe! ::)  :o  ;D  ;D  ;)

Vini

Totally agree. Sadly we were kind of forced to migrate to Discord because of the copyright issues with some of the mods.

I really hope discussion shifts back to the forum, at leas for the more advanced stuff.

Hawk

May 31, 2020, 03:07:06 PM #7 Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 03:11:22 PM by Hawk
Quote from: Vini on May 31, 2020, 02:53:35 PMTotally agree. Sadly we were kind of forced to migrate to Discord because of the copyright issues with some of the mods.

I really hope discussion shifts back to the forum, at leas for the more advanced stuff.

No matter what medium is used, you'll find in the TC's,  there will include a TC about not being allowed to use it for the downloading or linking of "Illegal" materials, so.....

But yeah I agree.... The forum is the best place for MOD creation info to be discussed and posted.

VSMaster

Would be a good idea creating a channel in the main discord of GPB ONLY for those who has the modder role?
Always on the edge

Myst1cPrun3

You can setup the discord servers like the forum, in appearance and function etc. Locking topics to certain roles and making some un-postable, and creating some sub-topics per issue/discussion etc.....

While I do think the forums would be better for GP Bikes in terms of mod use and information, but as was already stated this is not possible due to mods that have 'ripped models', so a lot of these mods were released on Discord.

Also due to this fact a fair few members who aren't active here on the forums are more active over there, and there are championships and races there that aren't on the forums. So regardless of the opinions I'd say being a member of the discord and having the app is perhaps a good decision if you want to keep up to date a little more on whats going on.

Pib is also a little more active it seems so if there are issues you want a reply to its worth having.

iNsane

May 31, 2020, 07:46:57 PM #10 Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 07:48:44 PM by iNsane
We've expanded the MX Bikes Discord pretty much with many functions and regulations (1500+ members til date) and we're trying to keep it sorted pretty well.
For myself I've experienced that most people don't really know how to use the search functions but imo it's a pretty useful medium to exchange useful information.
In order to keep more track of stuff I've founded MXB-Mods.com and also my newest project MXB-Wiki.com (both live from user submitted posts) to keep better track of content, and, useful informations.

You might check those out, also the discord (www.mxb-discord.com), if someone is interested to expand those to GPB feel free to hit me up, we can work stuff out.

Also thought about expanding the discord to cover all PiBoSo games as we're most likely the biggest discord regarding PiBoSo game(s), but that would overload the whole, since the discord is currently set up to MX Bikes only, but yet it would be possible to expand the verification process to make it possible for a user to chose between which communities you want to "join" (make them visible). But again, I think that would mess it much more.

🌐 MX Bikes custom content
MXB-Mods.com

📚 MX Bikes User Wiki
MXB-Wiki.com

💸 Feel free to donate
PayPal

VSMaster

Making a server like MX Bikes is not a good idea IMO. I'm sure the main discord needs to be more organised, it would be cool to have a channel only for modders if someone has question we could help each other; it makes sense for me.
I'm in the mxb server and I suggest to not make it like that cause it's very big, so many channels. I'd like a more "compact", organised server. I would like to make one and share the template
Always on the edge

iNsane

Yeah I partly agree, scrolling through the channels might be a pain but I've seen other discords which are way bigger and less organized than ours, though.

🌐 MX Bikes custom content
MXB-Mods.com

📚 MX Bikes User Wiki
MXB-Wiki.com

💸 Feel free to donate
PayPal

VSMaster

Don't know what you mean with this. We're talking about our discords not others xD.
Always on the edge