• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:57:25 PM

VR Steering

Started by Hocke, June 22, 2020, 08:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hocke

Hi Guys. I've been around playing but not active on the forum until now. Yesterday I updated VR bikes to the last version.
What I can't figure out is how I got VR-tracking/steering to work before. I've tried in every possible way tonight, but I can't get the bike to steer. I can see that the rider is following my head, but the bike stays uright. Please refresh my memory of where I can activate it, and feel free to share some other settings regarding the advanced settings etc. I've done som search but couldn find the specific "click" that made the bike turn.
Thanks in advance!
/H

Chris_Beeves

June 30, 2020, 04:40:02 AM #1 Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 03:23:24 PM by Chris_Beeves
Hi Hocke!
Do you want to actually steer the bike by moving your headset? Not just move the rider? I'm not sure there is a click that makes that happen?

Are you the same Hocke that built the lean rig? Can't find the video now, but my memory tells me that was the name of the uploader..
I had to try..

Manu

Bikes do not turn with the body, that is a myth. The bikes turn with counter handlebars.
It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.

Chris_Beeves

Quote from: Manu on June 30, 2020, 01:36:19 PMBikes do not turn with the body, that is a myth. The bikes turn with counter handlebars.

If you have a sit on "tilt-to-steer" system, I guess rather than using a sensor on the rig it would probably work better to use the headset movement as steering.

It is not a simulation solution, but a cool arcade controller (especially if he is THE Hocke).
I had to try..

Hocke

Thanks for replying guys. Yes, I'm the creator of the MotoGP sim.. but I'm currently on another project.
I'm pretty sure that a bike will start to turn if you lean to the side of it.. Yes, It speeds it up if you countersteer, but that's not my issue. This is a gamerelated issue. I'm pretty sure that before I downloaded the last update I could control the bike really smooth by just leaning my head to each side so the rider moved (he still does) but the bike won't follow. I have to steer the bike itself to start turning. Before I could combine those two into a harmony of riding.

h106frp

June 30, 2020, 08:06:23 PM #5 Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 08:08:43 PM by h106frp
The man and the experiment  :)  The 'body weight' bike is toward the middle

Chris_Beeves

Cool!

The only thing you can do is activate rider tracking so the rider moves. This doesn't turn the bike much though, as you have noticed.
What version did you have before?
I had to try..

Hocke

Quote from: Chris_Beeves on June 30, 2020, 08:13:41 PMCool!

The only thing you can do is activate rider tracking so the rider moves. This doesn't turn the bike much though, as you have noticed.
What version did you have before?

I'm not sure wich version I had before this one. All I know is that it was very smooth and easy to control the bike by leaning.
It seems that I'm also is given riding lessons here. Well, release the handlebars and lean, see what happens.. I can stand on one footpeg too and do those things but you have to hold back the bike on the bars so it won't turn. I know hot to ride a bike, trust me..

Manu

June 30, 2020, 11:32:34 PM #8 Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 12:39:32 AM by Manu
A Racing Rider Answers All Your Questions

By the way. I am not trying to give lessons, just clarify wrong concepts.
It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.

Myst1cPrun3

I don't know if it's of any relevance, but when I went doing a race school, one of the first things we were taught is to turn the bike with our body.

To do this we had to take our hands off the handlebars and make a sharp turn at about 40mph.

Had to have the hands off the bars to complete the excersise

Manu

The body is only 10% of the work, the rest is done by the handlebar. It is not a matter of belief, it is pure physics.

doubledragoncc

But.....the first part of a turn is countersteering............then the bars folloe the corner so you have to have 2 directions of input for the same corner to be correct

The countersteering amount is so minimul many do it without feeling it....its just natural.

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

Myst1cPrun3

July 01, 2020, 10:05:13 AM #12 Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 10:08:02 AM by Myst1cPrun3
Like I said, I had to have hands off the bars to complete the excersise.

The corner was a 40mph hairpin also so it required lean angle to do correct.

The bars may have helped the steering, but as I had no hands on it was done entirely on its own, not by rider input.

The rider input was solely upper body and peg pressure.

Had no issues making a turn.

We were then taught to add handlebar pressure in to aid the turn and give somewhere to brace on the bike.

At the end of the day, it's down to rider preference, there is no right or wrong way to make a turn, just as long as you can make said turn consistently.

But it IS very possible to make a turn without using the handlebars.

Myst1cPrun3

As a result,  the issue with this vr steering isn't actually the body, but it's the pressure on the pegs that does more steering.

That's hard to replicate

Manu

With the weight of the body you can have a certain inclination but that inclination will be very slow and insignificant compared to the counter-handlebar.

People do not pay attention to the counter-handlebar because they do it unconsciously as DD has said.