• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Alpha channel support for rider skins OR other way of hiding specific body parts

Started by Vini, August 10, 2020, 08:41:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vini

When using headtracking, the increased view movements often result in clipping through certain parts of the rider model. Removing the model entirely is the only solution we have currently but this obviously looks very stupid.

With support for transparent rider skins, the players could easily fix this issue and hide just enough of the rider to make it look right with their respective view settings.

PiBoSo

Using a texture with transparency would give rendering problems.
Maybe the arms models can be trimmed down.
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

Vini

Transparency works for helmets, though?

The problem is that you cannot edit the rider model EDF or the CFG to simply delete certain body parts. How much you have to delete from the model also depends on your individual view settings or how much you move around with headtracking, so it's different for every player.

PiBoSo

Quote from: Vini on August 10, 2020, 09:35:18 AMTransparency works for helmets, though?

Why are you always so confrontational?
You don't have to debate every single detail.

Transparency in helmets is only used for the visor, that is a convex surface.

Vini

I don't know how GPB works internally so I thought there is no difference between the visor and any other shape.
I suggested the transparancy thing because I thought it was the easiest solution for you in terms of coding effort.

If this is not the case, could you give us a some other way of hiding the upper arm of the rider cockpit/1P model? For example by editing gfx.cfg. The rider model already seems to be split up into upper arm, lower arm, etc. but gfx.cfg doesn't allow you to disable those body parts selectively at the moment. Or you could simply disable the upper arm in 1P by default since it is never needed and only gets in the way.

PiBoSo

Quote from: Vini on August 10, 2020, 10:03:42 AMIf this is not the case, could you give us a some other way of hiding the upper arm of the rider cockpit/1P model? For example by editing gfx.cfg. The rider model already seems to be split up into upper arm, lower arm, etc. but gfx.cfg doesn't allow you to disable those body parts selectively at the moment. Or you could simply disable the upper arm in 1P by default since it is never needed and only gets in the way.

Do you even read replies?
QuoteMaybe the arms models can be trimmed down.

To clarify: for the next update of GPB the cockpit arms models will be checked to see if it's possible to cut the upper parts to avoid clipping.

Vini

I read it but I thought it implies that the EDF files would have to be rebuilt, which would rule out this solution for everbody using modded riders (which is the majority).

PiBoSo

Transparent paints are already supported.
But the original texture must have an alpha channel.

Vini

Can the original base texture be modified after the fact?
Manu has sadly abandoned modding and deleted all his files, so he cannot rebuilt the rider mod.

Manu

Quote from: Vini on August 10, 2020, 03:27:10 PMCan the original base texture be modified after the fact?
Manu has sadly abandoned modding and deleted all his files, so he cannot rebuilt the rider mod.

That is wrong. I have not abandoned modding or deleted my files. Just taken a break.
It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.

Vini

x1mk_z3

Quote from: Manu on August 11, 2020, 07:06:29 AM
Quote from: Vini on August 10, 2020, 03:27:10 PMCan the original base texture be modified after the fact?

That is wrong. I have not abandoned modding or deleted my files. Just taken a break.
so will you continue with the CBR600RR?
Callum (MK)