• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:58:50 AM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

[RELEASE] iNsane's PiBoSo Lock Tool

Started by iNsane, September 24, 2020, 11:14:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iNsane

September 24, 2020, 11:14:21 AM Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 10:28:03 PM by iNsane
Four weeks development later and I finally can say:
Welcome to iNsane's (un)official PiBoSo Lock Tool web service! Short:

an iNsane PiBoSo service (pun)

please read
iNLock makes it possible for PiBoSo content creators to secure their mods and make them unaccessible for others.
The locked files are still usable in-game but the content can't be extracted anymore.
This is a security measure as PiBoSo's games are becoming more and more known.
Due to the easiness of accessing said content there's even more people re-using content creators' designs, data, configurations and general modifications without creditting the original authors.

We, in the MX Bikes community, lost some modders that way.
This led me to give my best to make this a thing.

I had a lot of chats with PiBoSo and tried to convince him to release the lock tool to the public, but there are also a lot reasons for him to not do, which I mostly agreed with and had full understanding.

I still wanted to do something.
And now we're here.

This project was very fun and I learned a bunch new stuff in the last weeks!

TL;DR
The web service makes it possible to be an easy-to-access and user friendly environment for securing your work.
The steps are easy and self-explanatory. The website offers a "?" button with a little explanation.
Nearly all PiBoSo files should be supported, but you most likely want to lock your paints (PNT) or your packed bike, track or model mod (PKZ).

!!! This is now the first "mass" test, so please bear in mind that errors and bugs may or may not happen. !!!

I hope there's people who have some use for it.
Please do not exploit the service, there's one feature missing which will never be included for public use as it could split the modding community (also another reason) and make "paid mods"a thing: the GUID Lock.

I do all this for free and I don't want people to make money that way, this is disgusting and should never happen.
See here if you remember the time when Skyrim introduced paid mods.

Nonetheless, if you like my work and want to support me, the development and the hosting, feel free to donate via PayPal.
Every donation is greatly appreciated. ♥
If you don't want to donate and you use an adblocker, please consider deactivating it for the domain. The 1 to max. 3 ads I run on all my pages really help me.

Enough talking, start with your iNLock project here:
https://lock.mxb-mods.com

How To:
https://mxb-wiki.com/how-to-lock-mods/

(no I really didn't have a better idea for the name)

🌐 MX Bikes custom content
MXB-Mods.com

📚 MX Bikes User Wiki
MXB-Wiki.com

💸 Feel free to donate
PayPal

doubledragoncc

I think this will make life for a lot of us no fun in GPB and does anyone here STEAL mods? Just asking why it is needed?

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

Manu

I don't think anyone steals mods here. However, I don't care if someone views my files.

I think blocking a mod is only necessary for a paid mod.
It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.

matty0l215

For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

Myst1cPrun3

September 24, 2020, 10:15:56 PM #4 Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 10:18:54 PM by Myst1cPrun3
Quote from: Manu on September 24, 2020, 09:43:11 PMI don't think anyone steals mods here. However, I don't care if someone views my files.

I think blocking a mod is only necessary for a paid mod.

Aren't you the same Manu that kicked a bunch of people from your discord when they tried to help you develop the MotoGP mod by altering some files to test things?
And the same person that pestered the developer for encryption support in the first place?

Also, I can think of a few people on the discord who steal mod physics values from others, so this is a nice addition.

However it is not necessary to use so I don't get why its a big debate?

Its good that stuff like this can exist, and fair play for getting it to work, however like most things with the PIB titles, it should be released by the Dev himself.

Manu

September 25, 2020, 02:01:25 AM #5 Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 02:41:18 AM by Manu
Quote from: Myst1cPrun3 on September 24, 2020, 10:15:56 PMAren't you the same Manu that kicked a bunch of people from your discord when they tried to help you develop the MotoGP mod by altering some files to test things?
And the same person that pestered the developer for encryption support in the first place?

In the first place that did not happen the way you are telling it.

When the motogp 19 mod was in development, I decided to have a small group of people test it and give their feedback. Some people did not understand that testing and giving an opinion does not mean that that opinion has to be taken into account. I always made it very clear that as the motogp 19 mod developer I would have the last word. However when I discarded some feedbacks that I did not consider useful some people (including you) decided to publish modified files on their own outside the group, publishing them in discord when the mod was not finished yet. You did not respect the rules and you disrespected me publishing the files. You guys decided to fuck me just because I didn't accept some opinions. Is that trying to help me? I do not think so. For that reason those people were kicked and for that reason I made the decision to block the mod.

However, at this moment none of my mods are blocked nor will they be in the future since I have nothing to hide. I also don't mind having others review the files.

I don't care if someone steals anything from my mods. Whoever does it is because he does not have enough skills to do it himself.

I have nothing more to say about it nor am I going to get into absurd discussions.

Have a nice day.
It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.

Myst1cPrun3

September 25, 2020, 06:26:16 AM #6 Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 07:13:05 AM by Myst1cPrun3
1) that is how it happened
2) I didn't even touch files nvm publish it as I had something called respect for you at the time.
3) what you've just said there is a contradiction.

10/10

I didn't actually mean anything bad by what I said, just confused that's all.

After all, you were one of the most vocal in requesting encryption for mods, and your MotoGP mod was the first one to have it when pib 'released' the tool to do so.
Just hard to fathom why the sudden change.

But no more absurd discussions it's clear you can't keep a story together and get offended easily

Aaaanyway.

This is a good idea, and the fact it's optional is great! Hopefully it'll mean we see more higher quality mods with custom models now.

matty0l215

Yet to try this but from the looks of it is have to say great work iNsane!
For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

iNsane

If the discussions are now over and I'm able to say something:

Use the service as you like, if you don't want to lock your mods, don't use it. If you got f*ed at some point and got tired of people stealing your stuff like some modders in our community did, feel free to use it :)

Thanks for the kudos though. I know pibs has a lot stuff on his plate so I'm totally fine in taking some work off it and do stuff on my own. And he gave me the Ok to do so, otherwise this post would never have happened. :)

Have a great weekend everyone!

MXB-Mods.com

📚 MX Bikes User Wiki
MXB-Wiki.com

💸 Feel free to donate
PayPal

iNsane

October 01, 2020, 10:15:07 PM #9 Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 10:19:54 AM by iNsane
Update 01/10/20:
- fixed the connection timeout/error 500 when uploading big files. This should now be fixed to a more reasonable timeout setting.

MXB-Mods.com

📚 MX Bikes User Wiki
MXB-Wiki.com

💸 Feel free to donate
PayPal

iNsane

Update 04/10/20:
- added a total locked files counter on the upper left, just for fun

MXB-Mods.com

📚 MX Bikes User Wiki
MXB-Wiki.com

💸 Feel free to donate
PayPal

Hawk

October 09, 2020, 08:47:44 PM #11 Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 11:53:08 PM by Hawk
@iNsane: Thank you for releasing this great utility mate..... It's something I have kind of campaigned for for years and finally it's here. A big thank you! ;D  8)

The only thing I would've liked to have seen happen was for this utility to only be given to those dev's who could prove that their work was created from scratch rather than given to anyone to download and use..... I think you've missed an opportunity here to obviously define the genuine from the cowboy modders? ;)

I'm not wanting to get into a debate about some developers opinions against this utility, except to say that, of all developers for Pibs projects, I could probably count the genuine developers who actually create all their own MOD-content from scratch on less than 3 fingers, so the rest who are complaining about this great utility are being let's say somewhat hypocritical considering the blatant stealing of intellectual property from other well-known games that has and continues to be happening to create MODS for Pibs projects. :P

This utility will now enable MOD-developers to not only protect their intellectual property, it will also enable mod-devs to use permissible intellectual content in their mods that would otherwise not be possible without this tool.

I just don't understand why some are against such a tool being released? What problems can it create? None!  Modders can either decide to use it to protect any intellectual property the MOD uses or not...... So what is the problem? :P

iNsane

The servers' contract ran out yesterday and I have to setup a new one and migrate the tool to it.
No ETA, will try asap.

Thanks.

MXB-Mods.com

📚 MX Bikes User Wiki
MXB-Wiki.com

💸 Feel free to donate
PayPal

iNsane

Damn, all this took way longer than expected.

For those who ask themselves: No! The project is not dead.

I just wasn't as motivated as I thought I'd be. Also private life took over and I enjoyed doing different stuff more.

I've decided to redo the whole system and so I've spent the whole Monday on the essential features. So far everything is done and working on my local PC. Tomorrow I'll try to finish missing features and then I'm going to move it over to the new remote host and get it going there (which made me loose motivation when trying to just move from old to new host).

Planned is to have iNLock working again at the end of the week.

Thought I should update y'all.

MXB-Mods.com

📚 MX Bikes User Wiki
MXB-Wiki.com

💸 Feel free to donate
PayPal

iNsane

02/11/2021:
we are back alive!

http://lock.mxb-mods.com/

If you have any problems, please let me know asap!
I believe the first issues will be that file uploads might fail.

Feel free to join my Discord server where I'm always happy to help and fix things.
https://discord.com/invite/dMf9MJD

MXB-Mods.com

📚 MX Bikes User Wiki
MXB-Wiki.com

💸 Feel free to donate
PayPal