• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:43:41 AM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

Motion rig project

Started by Chris_Beeves, September 01, 2021, 06:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vini

Nice, Chris.
Traction loss is yaw?

Chris_Beeves

Thanks Vin!

Not exactly yaw. Rather rotation with center point somewhere around where the front tire contact patch would be.
Front traction loss will have to wait until V2, It's kind of pointless to simulate 99% of the time since it usually can't be saved anyway. The handlebars will have to convey that instead.
I had to try..

Vini

I wonder how all this will be perceived by the "popometer".

Chris_Beeves

Not sure it will show on such a device  ;D
I had to try..

Vini

I don't know. If you manage to utilize gravity in the right way, a well timed heigh shift could be sufficient to trigger the tingly feeling that makes you pucker up.

Vini

Have you thought about some strap support system that helps you stay on the bike as compensation for the lack of cornering forces?

Vini

What about putting a few electrodes into the seat to give you some small current when the rear is sliding :D :D

Chris_Beeves

There are many things I want to research when it comes to output and input data translating into motion.

Electrodes in my ass is not one of those things!
However, there is a detail in vehicle simulation that gives researchers trouble. That is that there is no real fear of crashing or failing, so the results aren't always relevant to real life.
The groin electrocution would change that.

I'm not 100% sure I understood what the "popometer" is.. :)
I had to try..

Vini

January 04, 2022, 03:37:55 PM #23 Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 03:42:18 PM by Vini
"Popometer" is an established term in racing german which translates to "ass-meter", or the feeling you get from your ass over what the vehicle is doing. Specifically rear slip and yaw angle.
The electrodes (or metal seat surface) are not supposed to replace the pain of crashing, it's supposed to replicate the tingly feeling you get when your bike starts getting light at the rear. Similar to when you are standing next to a steep cliff etc. you get what I mean.

An alternative would be pressure outputs at different zones, similar to how F1 teams simulate Gforces.

Chris_Beeves

There will be shaker speakers in the seat and tank to be able to communicate popo-feelings! Those in combination with rig motion should be enough if triggered correctly.
I wrote some wheel spin code for simhub which seems to work very well.
I had to try..

Chris_Beeves

Monday I finally get to start working on this. Some of the hardware has arrived, so electrically we're pretty set except for cabling.
I had to try..

Chad Smith

Heck yeah! Looks like a good project.
What motors did you get?
Also, on your scale motors did you print some levers to go on the end of the motor shaft? I can seem to find any levers.
Good luck with the build!

Chris_Beeves

440W 60Nm something. It's going to be interesting!

I just used normal servo horns and some rc car spares I had lying around.
I had to try..

Chris_Beeves

February 09, 2022, 10:01:04 PM #28 Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 06:09:30 PM by Chris_Beeves
Lots of CAD work going on. Lots of simulations have to be done in order to make sure the weight is kept as low as possible.

This is one of the early candidates for the upper platform.
You cannot see attachments on this board.
I had to try..

Chris_Beeves

The structure and geometry seems to be taking its final form. Now we are working on the separate components making them manufacturable. Starting to feel the pressure of getting everything ready so we can start assembly in time!

You cannot see attachments on this board.
I had to try..