• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:10:33 PM

Handlebar controls

Started by Chad Smith, January 01, 2022, 07:33:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chad Smith

I would like to build a shifter and a clutch but that will require ordering some potentiometers and other things.
Still learning these things as I go so will probably be a while before I get to a motion sim though.

Chris_Beeves

I made a quite simple clutch from a bicycle brake handle, a small spring, a hall sensor and a magnet. Works really well.

Unless you have a 3d printer, I can send you stl's for a hall sensor clutch.
I had to try..

doubledragoncc

Quote from: Chris_Beeves on January 06, 2022, 09:30:28 AMI made a quite simple clutch from a bicycle brake handle, a small spring, a hall sensor and a magnet. Works really well.

Unless you have a 3d printer, I can send you stl's for a hall sensor clutch.

Sounds interesting as still using a potentiometer. Please PM me Chris....thanks

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

Chad Smith

No 3D printer but I have been reading your m300 thread and there's a lot of good information in there. I'll have to look more closely at it to get an idea for the clutch and foot pedals I think.

Chris_Beeves

This is the bicycle clutch. Could have been a more powerful spring, but it did the job and I liked it. You cannot see attachments on this board.

The sensor just plugs into an arduino, bodnar or whatever you have.
I had to try..

Chad Smith

That's a nice design. So I'm guessing the magnet getting closer or further from the sensor is what allows slipping of the clutch?

Chris_Beeves

Yeah, you feed the hall sensor 5v and get back a voltage that goes from 2,5-5V or 2,5-0V depending on which pole you have facing it.

It's a simple design compared to using a pot, which usually gets quite mechanically complex. Before I had the hall sensor I used the bike brake wire and hooked the end up to a sliding potentiometer. That worked good too, but it was nice to lose all the extra stuff.
I had to try..

Chad Smith

I'll have to look into something like that. Just ordered a bunch of arduino components and potentiometers and small motors to mess with a motion platform!

But here is my last creation, not my most prized masterpiece but it gets the job done for now. Haha

Chris_Beeves

Exciting times! What motors did you get?

Hey, if it shifts the bike! Looks can come later.
I had to try..

Chad Smith

Well, I should clarify they are only miniature motors, nothing full scale yet.
I would like to build a motorcycle cockpit first I think.

Chris_Beeves

You learn a lot from building a scale prototype.

Yeah, no point in a moving platform without a cockpit;)
I had to try..

Chris_Beeves

I had to try..

Chad Smith

Things are going. I've been working on a load cell front brake. I'm thinking my next purchase is a 3d printer( and then learning how to use it) because I feel like I need custom things to make my designs work.

I just picked up an Rift S but now need a better computer. Lol Making progress but slowly.

So I've been taking this time to actually race and get better at GPB.

How is the motion coming along?

Chris_Beeves

Nice! Let me know if you want to bounce loadcell ideas.

The printing really opens up possibilities otherwise only possible with quite advanced fabrication methods. Do it!

I had the same progress when I borrowed a Vive and later got a Quest2. Now my computer is still old but upgraded to the point of melting, would probably have been cheaper just to get a new one 😆.

I have never really gotten any good at driving. I'm hoping to make the controller close enough to reality that I can use my irl riding experience instead. 😄

The project has started, with all the theoretical stuff a bachelors thesis is based on. If our time plan holds (not sure why it would) we start building in a month or so.
I had to try..

Chad Smith

I'll bounce some ideas off you when I get to that point. I feel like I have a pretty solid design, but it will show it's weakness when made into reality I'm sure.

I'm just on a laptop with no DisplayPort or anything. So I think it is definitely time to upgrade to a gaming computer. I haven't played sim racing games in years so I'm really lacking haha.

Here's a little video of the most recent changes to my handlebars and then some laps. I'm thinking I need a lean axis next for the handlebars and whee to pivot in a half circle. I think that would help with lean but I think it would be more beneficial to be used with VR.

I'm really excited to see how VR feels, I'm expecting to want to have an actual motorcycle rig as the next step to gain more immersion.