• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:54:15 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Motion rig project

Started by Chris_Beeves, September 01, 2021, 06:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdlp

I casually read your comment about the e-throttle, I think how my cheap throttle sometimes has that bit of binding which takes your attention.
Now I'm sitting here shopping for throttles and musing how I could make some linkage for the cable variety.  Damn you.  ;)

Chris_Beeves

I just ended up buying a domino throttle real cheap from a friend at RGNT motorcycles. The most difficult part for me was getting a spring that works good and feels right.
I had to try..

malcolm_from_nz

Chris, have you done anything WRT making the clutch feel right? I've seen a couple of things on here where people have used simple return springs, but clutches don't feel like that, the pressure plate has a tip over point that you can feel.

Chris_Beeves

I tried out all our motorcycles at home and the tipping point was surprisingly absent. The action is not linear though but the difference was not big enough for me to design something to solve it.
I just went with springs. My thought is to put a vibration motor in the handle and simulate bite point that way instead.
I had to try..

mdlp

If I had a motion rig (if that's not a phrase that leads to trouble I don't know what is), I'd be tempted to have it a slightly lowered at the front at rest, with the clutch bite point reverting to level to simulate drive take-up.
Which may be ambitious as I don't know what telemetry data is available.

malcolm_from_nz

Definitely more distinct on some than others. CBR1000RR, quite distinct, RGV, reasonably distinct, 748R not much at all, SV1000 not much either. Do you have an email address, I could send you an STL if you like. Cable driven, hall effect sensor.

Next up is the gear shift. All the bikes have that distinct feeling of metal moving and notching into place, I want that. I've been working the various levers with my eyes closed trying to come up with what might replicate that, but no great ideas so far. I know I want a detent to click through, and the other thing is I want the detent tension to be load (engine load) sensitive. I want to be able to preload the lever like I would on a real bike, then back off the gas to let it snick into the next gear, like you would on a bike without a shift lever. Keen to hear any thoughts you might have on that. I think it can be done by the Arduino handling the TPS input, rather than having to receive telemetry via SimHub or whatever.

@mdlp Yes I know what you mean, replicate that 'chonk' as you click into first. The bike itself doesn't move (although I understand why that's probably not a bad way to replicate it, it uses existing mechanics you already paid for!), so I was thinking maybe a servo that lets a weight swing and hit a stop. That will require telemetry though, to know which gear you're in.

I'm quite keen to build a motion rig at some point, but I want to pick off all this low hanging 'immersion' fruit first.

Chris_Beeves

Quote from: mdlp on July 12, 2022, 07:36:25 AMIf I had a motion rig (if that's not a phrase that leads to trouble I don't know what is), I'd be tempted to have it a slightly lowered at the front at rest, with the clutch bite point reverting to level to simulate drive take-up.
Which may be ambitious as I don't know what telemetry data is available.
Front suspension travel does a good job of communicating acceleration on the prototype, so as soon as that works on the big rig I hope it will be enough.
I had to try..

Chris_Beeves

Quote from: malcolm_from_nz on July 12, 2022, 11:44:12 PMDefinitely more distinct on some than others. CBR1000RR, quite distinct, RGV, reasonably distinct, 748R not much at all, SV1000 not much either. Do you have an email address, I could send you an STL if you like. Cable driven, hall effect sensor.

Next up is the gear shift. All the bikes have that distinct feeling of metal moving and notching into place, I want that. I've been working the various levers with my eyes closed trying to come up with what might replicate that, but no great ideas so far. I know I want a detent to click through, and the other thing is I want the detent tension to be load (engine load) sensitive. I want to be able to preload the lever like I would on a real bike, then back off the gas to let it snick into the next gear, like you would on a bike without a shift lever. Keen to hear any thoughts you might have on that. I think it can be done by the Arduino handling the TPS input, rather than having to receive telemetry via SimHub or whatever.

@mdlp Yes I know what you mean, replicate that 'chonk' as you click into first. The bike itself doesn't move (although I understand why that's probably not a bad way to replicate it, it uses existing mechanics you already paid for!), so I was thinking maybe a servo that lets a weight swing and hit a stop. That will require telemetry though, to know which gear you're in.

I'm quite keen to build a motion rig at some point, but I want to pick off all this low hanging 'immersion' fruit first.

The low hanging immersion is the complex bit. I'd start with motion and take it from there.
The rabbit hole is nice and deep!

Simhub shaker speakers does a good job of replicating gear clonk.
I had to try..

davidboda46

Chris, you're rig looks absolutely amazing. I wish I had the skills, bits and the tools to do something similar, but I don't think I'll ever get there. Anyway, I'm super impressed, can't wait to see how it works when you done.

Cheers,

/David "Gonzo" Boda #46
"THE EDGE... THERE IS NO HONEST WAY TO EXPLAIN IT BECAUSE THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO REALLY KNOW WHERE IT IS ARE THE ONES WHO HAVE GONE OVER"

Chris_Beeves

Thanks! Haven't had any time other than assembling it since it got home so my fingers are itching to get started!
I had to try..

Chris_Beeves

Tested a few days back, but it turns out my outlets in the basement didn't have enough oumph.

So I pulled in three phases 16Amps each now, that should do it! A little bit hesitant to plug it in though.. These cables are massive  ;D

I had to try..

Chris_Beeves

I had to try..

doubledragoncc

Great work and fun video m8

Look forward to more vids.

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

davidboda46

Awesome video Chris! :D

David "Gonzo" Boda #46
"THE EDGE... THERE IS NO HONEST WAY TO EXPLAIN IT BECAUSE THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO REALLY KNOW WHERE IT IS ARE THE ONES WHO HAVE GONE OVER"

Manu

Incredible work. Congratulations
It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.