• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:43:23 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

The Direct Leaners Club (DLC)

Started by HornetMaX, April 18, 2014, 09:26:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HornetMaX

He had a video (in french) showing how he does it (g25/27 + pocket bke handlebars + leo controller), but it is no longer available (I guess because he has signed a contract to produce a controller).

Anyway the video would have taught you nothing I think.

MaX.

doubledragoncc

I use rotary pots as I can gear them and change the ratios, linear pots are not as precise as rotary ones. I want to get into 3D printing to be able to reduse costs and also have more design freedom. Direct lean makes all the difference if you have the right controller it is easier to get a more realistic feeling too. I am working on a full motion system too but it is dang hard to do, but got some good ideas. It wont be cheap dang it lol.
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

ChrisK

how do u connect the wire with the poti? is there a "swingarm" on the poti?

ya  had the same idea with 3d printing but for me its only fun, i dont want to produce something or get a full motion system i just want more axis and a better feeling but no gamepad can give it, so i build my own controller

also was thinking about a  small fixed handlebar without steering, only for throttle and brakes/clutch, leaning and steering with a thump joystick.

doubledragoncc

On rotary pots there are 3 wires. The center connector is the output from the pot to the control board. the outer connectors are the positive and ground inputs to the pot. You can wire them either way depending on which way you want the pot to rotate from 0 to 4096, meaning clockwise or anti-clockwise. If you wish to use a pot for the x-axis or y-axis in Windows to calibrate the pot you need to center the pot. this is best done by measuring the output from the pot with an ohmmeter and setting it to  2048. or if you use software like DIView or DXTweak2 it will show you the exact position of the pots rotor. If you need any wiring diagrams or so just ask. I will help as much as I can.
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

ChrisK

ah sorry i mean how do u connect the brake, clutch, throttle wire with the poti?

i dont use the wires like u

example how i do it on the throttle

doubledragoncc

AH, you mean as in the throttle, brake and clutch cables? I use gears on a gear carrier to the cable and the pinnion gear directly on the pot shaft

ChrisK

hey dragon did u ever try a electric throttle from e-bikes?

i think they have a integrated hall sensor

do u think this work wit a leo bodnar board?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hall_sensor

http://www.leafmotor.com/e-bike-parts/info-twist-throttle.jpg

HornetMaX

As far as they are 0..5V there should be no issue.

MaX.

ChrisK

its from 0 to 4,5
is this also ok?

HornetMaX

Think so. You may lose a bit of range, no big deal.

If you search around the web you may find forums with people DIY-ing joysticks with hall sensors + the Leo board, might be wise to ask them .

MaX.

ChrisK

doubledragoncc

Hi guys. Hal sensors work on Leo's boards. The only drawback is that the feeling of an electric throttle is so wrong, jut like a joystick it has no feel to it. With a real throttle with a cable and correct spring for return, it feels REAL, therefore making the action of using the throttle a natural action for the brain, it gives an automatic sence of reality. I use only new parts that I get from Broward Motorsports in Florida and they have very good prices, this makes the controls reliable and you basically cant break the damn things lol.

The most important thing in making a control that works with direct lean correctly is to remember to "look outside of the box", real world physics do not apply sitting still in a room!!! I have tried using Gyros and Accelerometers but find they are far to sensitive. For the right amount of feeling and control for steering you need to use potentiometers with gears to get the correct amount of control. Even now I still try different gearing just to see if I can get it even more realistic. Force-feedback is a no go at the moment, I have a few designs I am going to try, but you must not make the mistake of thinking along the same lines as FFB for steering wheels. When I ride with my system for anything over 30 mins, its quite a workout as I am using far more physical effort than just turning a wheel. Many look at my videos and still dont get the fact that it is actually counter-steering, I push the bars left to go right, using my southern pendulum design makes riding with direct lean a natural action, I dont have to think to lean, it just works. Until software writers have a real controller to write code for, it is hard to make a system that is like a real bike. The amount of handlebar movement in the real world is just to small that it makes the imput for bike sims far too sensitive.

I hope that put a bit more light on the subject.

BOBR6 84

Just buy a track/race bike and do trackdays for a kick.. Or start racing! ;)
Probably cheaper lol

Just kidding.. Each to there own an all that..

Just thinking that if u go for the full bike setup surely it has to lean and pivot back with hydraulics or something lol

Otherwise you might aswell just sit with a control pad..

jomardi

G27. direct lean > ON
Manual rider > lean left/right OFF

(I Think, never will try )) despite the fact, that it heard proverb "never say never")
Live fast, die young<br />Sorry for my & GOOGLE-T bad english :|

-aGy-

Controller:
     DFGT
Manual rider lean left/right:
     no

Directlean yes