• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:28:20 AM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Motion rig project

Started by Chris_Beeves, September 01, 2021, 06:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris_Beeves

Thank you so much guys!

Had some time to play around with it a little more tonight after fixing stuff with the motion plugin.
It's marvelous...
I had to try..

Chris_Beeves

After testing more in depth I'm finding some issues with the leaning. The design leaves the two front motors in charge of that, and when leaning hard one goes all the way up and the other one all the way down. The one going up has to lift everything, and it takes a lot of time. So it will need some attention. Or I need to lose 20-30kg. Or both.
I had to try..

Chris_Beeves

After designing a few possible solutions I gave up and just bought two spring struts.
Works perfect!
Let the tweaking begin!
I had to try..

Chris_Beeves

After putting the front springs on it became apparent that the rear was struggling as well, so I bought another spring.
Now on to other issues!
Redesigned the shifter mechanism, since everyone else that has tested the rig has broken it :D
I had to try..

Chris_Beeves

The new shifter assembly turned out quite nice!
It is horrible to mount, upside down under the rearset bar.. Not really engineered for assembly :D

It doesn't have the chunky clunk that I want, but it is more distinct (and durable so far) than the old solution.

The nicest part is the "print-in-one-piece" balljoint!

I had to try..

malcolm_from_nz

What provides the self centering? Just the buttons?

Chris_Beeves

No, there are two springs on the other side with some rubber in them. They are the reason the whole thing is a pain to mount :)

This is the first version with space for magnet end click. Didn't work out.
I had to try..

malcolm_from_nz

Yeah I've wondered about magnets for that. What didn't work out with those?

Chris_Beeves

When they were strong enough to be noticeable the spring needed to be really strong in order to be able to push it back. It would just stick.
I had to try..

malcolm_from_nz

What we need is some sort of two way ratchet that goes clunk when it changes position. I'll keep thinking about it. I've designed a lever arrangement much like you've shown above, but it has a positive centre stop so the lever always stops smartly in the centre like you would expect a bike to. I'll have a go at printing it this week and see how it goes.

My current goals are, limited movement on a positive stop, buttons working at the ends of the lever travel, always stop cleanly in the centre with little wobble.

If that all goes well, I'll add a hall effect sensor (use the in game preload function, although ultimately I want that to be a physical thing so I'll write an algorithm to handle it externally via servos) for analog input, and then figure out a 'block' for up and down when in 1st and top.

After spending some time riding around thinking about what really defines a motorcycle gearshift, it's those things, plus of course the clunk. Let me know if you see a mechanism that might replicate the clunk, I've no good ideas at this point and are just relying on a bass shaker. The closest I can think of is a firing mechanism from a rifle, with the wall and break.

Chris_Beeves

Just had a little gettogether with some motorcycle buddies this weekend. The shifter is now zip-tied and taped, but hanging in there. Needs beefing.  ;D
I had to try..

Slider46

Quote from: Chris_Beeves on October 18, 2022, 08:19:21 PMJust had a little gettogether with some motorcycle buddies this weekend. The shifter is now zip-tied and taped, but hanging in there. Needs beefing.  ;D

I spent 10 years as a bike instructor and it never ceased to amaze me how heavy handed/ footed people are especialy on the smaller cc bikes. No finesse, no mechanical sympathy, just stomp on the lever and wind the throttle hard on, lol.
I would have a quiet snigger at how much they would poop if they ever got a go on a blade or R1 and wound that back to the stop  ;D  ;D

Chris_Beeves

Mechanical sympathy, I love that! 😂

Not much of that going around the past weekend, correct!
I had to try..

Chris_Beeves

Just saw I hadn't posted this vid here.
A better overview of what the sim does:

I had to try..

Chris_Beeves

There has been some improvements done lately. I have converted the old load cell brake system to a hydraulic one with ISR master cylinder and rear brake calipers with pressure sensors on them. It works really well and feels a whole lot more rigid than the predecessor.
You cannot see attachments on this board.

Also put a vibration speaker on the brake lever, and the feedback was awesome. Unfortunately it flipped out the torque sensors for the steering system completely, so I had to remove it. Put some small vibration motors on there instead and it's not as good, but a nice compromise.
I had to try..