• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:32:29 AM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Why gpbikes needs AI !

Started by poumpouny, February 26, 2020, 11:44:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

poumpouny

I'am a big fan and follow gpbikes since 4 years, i love the physics, the range of customisation and the moddability of it and especialy the fact it is an Indie / one man game. I used to play online 2 year ago, there was way more people playing it online these time. Then the number of players online drop. So i continue playing it offline and chasing my own ghost or hotlapping. But even with the best physic engine etc, i'm feeling realy lonely playing the game. It sad to say but i start getting back to milestone game (Moto gp 19) so even if i found it very crap (physic wise) i love the fact that i can make offline race, feel the week end feeling when watching at the sametime IRL Moto gp.

Se here we are, we really need :
- or Implement AI so we can feel more lonely even if not a lot of people play the game
- either make something to attract people to play online (i don't know what could Piboso do about that)

I'm just so sad that such a good game/software stay on my hardrive and never get played just because i have nobody to race with (human or AI).

guigui404

February 26, 2020, 02:56:54 PM #1 Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 05:02:53 PM by guigui404
Piboso said AI is not that hard to do, and if I remember well, he was doing AI in a big company before being "PiBoSo", but I agreee with you, if a AI appear I'll for sure get back to the game to play a bit

Myst1cPrun3

Quote from: poumpouny on February 26, 2020, 11:44:39 AMI'am a big fan and follow gpbikes since 4 years, i love the physics, the range of customisation and the moddability of it and especialy the fact it is an Indie / one man game. I used to play online 2 year ago, there was way more people playing it online these time. Then the number of players online drop. So i continue playing it offline and chasing my own ghost or hotlapping. But even with the best physic engine etc, i'm feeling realy lonely playing the game. It sad to say but i start getting back to milestone game (Moto gp 19) so even if i found it very crap (physic wise) i love the fact that i can make offline race, feel the week end feeling when watching at the sametime IRL Moto gp.

Se here we are, we really need :
- or Implement AI so we can feel more lonely even if not a lot of people play the game
- either make something to attract people to play online (i don't know what could Piboso do about that)

I'm just so sad that such a good game/software stay on my hardrive and never get played just because i have nobody to race with (human or AI).

Yes this ^^

Quote from: guigui404 on February 26, 2020, 02:56:54 PMPiboso said AI is not that hard to do, and if I remember well, he was doing AI in a big company before being "PiBoSo", but for I agreee with you, if a AI appear I'll for sure get back to the game to play a bit

I read somewhere he used to work for milestone back in the day?

JohnnoNinja

I wonder if it is really easy to make AI? Maybe not too difficult to make a basic AI, but I guess we need good and competitive AI, which is able to overtake, defend and evade the human player... I agree that GPB could benefit from this, but I think making good AI is a time consuming process (correct me if i'm wrong) and there is less time involved to get it released on steam? I don't know... I also think that the playerbase is big enough, and GPB is good enough for more online activity then there is now...

h106frp

With the way GPB is structured it would seem a network 'bot' would be the easiest way to add ai without altering the existing code. You could then host a local lan and add virtual players to the race. we have the track CL and limits and would just need the normal network data layer exposing to allow for some experimentation to begin.

matty0l215

Sounds like a new project for you H ;)  ;D
For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

connorhall70

gpbikes has far too many variables to take into consideration, i remember seeing him saying there are no plans to implement ai into this game and he probably never will... i mean, 13 years... no ai... i dont think we are going to see it soon lol.
GanjaGod

poumpouny

At least may be make the posibility to enable collision to the ghost, so just enable "crash code" when the ghost is hit by the player and then "resume" the ghost file to continue the race, I know it is no AI and can cause lot of problem (ghost hiting you from behind etc.....) but it is always better than just hotlaping the whole year. I think the H106frp suggestion is the best cause i think it is possible to be done as a mod, but then the problem is that you need multiple liscence to run such a system cause bots will be considered as a real player by the game itself.

h106frp

As we would only need (allow) bots on a locally hosted game I would guess PB could allow extra players that only appear on a local loop back address to avoid the extra licences issue. So we would have one host, one player and several bots on the same PC.
It would certainly be interesting to see if the virtual rider code that is already executed in game could assist with the rider emulation issues if it was being fed the correct path following data.

poumpouny

I've read on other thread about AI, the TORCS exemple, would love if some "genuis" could make such a mod, i will be ok to pay some bucks ....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TORCS

morvio100

September 23, 2022, 02:42:42 PM #10 Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 02:44:57 PM by morvio100
I agree the sim would be immensely improved with well coded AI ..caveat I would say it is a shit load of work...for whatever reason the Great One = Piboso...decided against AI for his own reasons...so I guess we have to respect that..however that said... it would have been Fantastic to see what this physics genius ..would have come up with..in relation to how he would have approached ..collision modelling (I'm talking specifically about setting up a race for testing/offline)...eg how he would have coded collisions. from certain angle/speed/rider position/gradient...etc etc the list I'm sure is endless...would have been phenomenal to see motogp bikes barely touch wheels at certain angles at high speed ...and see how the bike/s jettison..off track...i would say he would have done an industry stanard take on AI/and collision modelling... if he had so ....long live GpB..

Vini

Agree with h here. Easiest way would be letting us enable bots and feeding them with custom control inputs.
Would be cool to load trainers as bots, too.

3dstuff

July 13, 2023, 10:49:20 AM #12 Last Edit: July 13, 2023, 10:52:04 AM by 3dstuff
There is a simple way to make a very good step for this game using trainers to make races, if Ai wont come out.
At the moment trainers are recorded for one lap only, if Mr Piboso let trainers been recorded more than one lap, for more laps until the player is "in track", using a checkbox somewhere, we can record trainers for example for 5-10 laps and then at least make races against this recoded trainers.
At the moment the trainer is a little boring because ok it help let you make your best laps, but it reset every lap if you don't do the best the time, you can't race against it.
What is needed is only:
- a checkbox in the trainer tab, that says "record one lap only" YES/NOT.
- in case checkbox yes: all remain as is now
- in case not: the trainer wont reset every lap but is recorded for the entire "in track" session, i think is not so difficult to make it.

My 2 cents