• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:22:36 AM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

Xbox One controller

Started by PiBoSo, June 07, 2014, 11:03:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PiBoSo

June 07, 2014, 11:03:10 AM Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 10:43:41 AM by PiBoSo
http://majornelson.com/2014/06/05/pc-drivers-for-the-xbox-one-controller-available-now/

As soon as I read the news, I stormed out to buy a controller.
Installed the drivers, linked the controller to the PC using a usb to micro-usb cable and it works perfectly.

The XInput plugin recognizes it.

Pros:
- the sticks are more precise around the center, less deadzone required
- the sticks have almost square output! woot!!!

Cons:
- the back buttons have a worse feeling
- the triggers use "softer" springs

Overall, the feeling is about the same as the previous one.
Considering the better sticks, it should be the new controller of choice for GP Bikes and MX Bikes, if a FF steering wheel is not available.
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

BOBR6 84

How much are they? I was hoping for stiffer springs to be honest haha

BOBR6 84

Talking of controllers.. Is it possible to map left and right trigger to work at the same time? So I can blip the throttle when on the brakes..

PiBoSo

Quote from: BOBR6 84 on June 07, 2014, 11:37:35 AM
Talking of controllers.. Is it possible to map left and right trigger to work at the same time? So I can blip the throttle when on the brakes..

It is possible using the XInput plugin: http://forum.piboso.com/index.php?topic=95.0

BOBR6 84

Alby46

yeah i use the xinput plugin for the same reason ( and to wheelie with the zip :D )
Still riding a 50cc, but enjoying it :)

girlracerTracey

June 07, 2014, 12:16:16 PM #6 Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 12:32:54 PM by girlracerTracey
Also as a worthy alternative the PS4 controller is fully compatible with windows 7 and 8 and you do not even have to load a specific driver for it to work. Just plug it in to your pc using a usb cable and off you go.. gpbikes recognises it and you can easily map all the control inputs you require including the analogue thumbsticks and triggers without any problems.. I tested it last night on gpbikes and it works perfectly.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/176263-how-to-use-a-dualshock-4-to-play-pc-games

In terms of quality I personally think it is just as good as the xbox one controller and it has a similar feel to it. I think if you happen to also own a PS4 this is definitely worth trying.

I also have an xbox one controller with me at the moment and strangely I couldn't get it to work under my windows 7 32 bit OS. I successfully downloaded and installed the x.86 version of the software driver but windows for some strange reason fails to initialise the controller. It's recognised as an xbox one controller in the device manager but there is an exclamation mark next to it reporting the initialisation failure... I tried it 4 or 5 times and reinstalled the software driver but was met with exactly the same result each time. It's not the xbox one controller at fault here because it is brand new and works perfectly with my friend's xbox one console. Any ideas?

As I say both controllers feel really nice and actually feel quite similar. However I personally don't think in terms of "feel" they are that much more advanced than my xbox 360 wired controller.. I think the xbox 360 joypad is still a formidable option for pc gaming.

As a matter of interest I run "tournament" quality "mushroom"  thumbsticks on my xbox controller which provide extra grip and have a great feel to them. The material on the dome of the stick is ultra sticky and you can "hold" the edge of the dome of the stick if you choose to without any fear of your thumb slipping off.. I think similar mod.s like this are becoming available for the xbox one and PS4 controller now.

As a matter of interest PiBoSo do you feel that the best option of all for gpbikes is arguably a good quality force feedback wheel and pedals? Based upon you comment above. Clearly this all comes down to personal preference but I found your comment interesting.

grT  :)

PiBoSo

Quote from: girlracerTracey on June 07, 2014, 12:16:16 PM
As a matter of interest PiBoSo do you feel that the best option of all for gpbikes is arguably a good quality force feedback wheel and pedals? Based upon you comment above. Clearly this all comes down to personal preference but I found your comment interesting.

A force feedback steering wheel gives a lot more input accuracy and outputs a meaningful force.

girlracerTracey

Thanks PiBoSo. I am convinced of the same thing.

grT  ;)

girlracerTracey

Quote from: girlracerTracey on June 07, 2014, 12:16:16 PM
I also have an xbox one controller with me at the moment and strangely I couldn't get it to work under my windows 7 32 bit OS. I successfully downloaded and installed the x.86 version of the software driver but windows for some strange reason fails to initialise the controller. It's recognised as an xbox one controller in the device manager but there is an exclamation mark next to it reporting the initialisation failure... I tried it 4 or 5 times and reinstalled the software driver but was met with exactly the same result each time. It's not the xbox one controller at fault here because it is brand new and works perfectly with my friend's xbox one console. Any ideas?

Here's the solution. I do updates manually. An important and recent Windows 7 update that I had not yet installed allows windows to initiate the xbox one controller. That's all it was. 

http://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/27fog1/psa_for_the_new_xbox_one_controller_drivers_how/

"I've noticed that since the drivers for the Xbox One controller have been released, numerous users have experienced an issue with them.
If after you install the drivers and plug your controller in and it doesn't work, you most likely have an error code 37 under the device in device manager. It tells you "Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware. (Code 37)"
I'm not sure what this means, but I can tell you how to fix it.
All you need to do is go through Windows Update and update Windows 7 ONLY! You don't need to do the updates for anything else. Update it, then do a restart and your controller should work fine!
Hope this helps!"

grT

HornetMaX

Quote from: PiBoSo on June 07, 2014, 11:03:10 AM
- the sticks are more precise around the center, less deadzone required
- the sticks have almost square output! woot!!!

Square output  ? Yeah man !!

Order being sent out tight now !!

Thx for the info !

MaX.

P.S.
@grT: you should ALWAYS do updates of windows. If you don't like them to be automatic (I don't), just remember to manually update once a week.

HornetMaX

June 07, 2014, 04:17:34 PM #11 Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 04:23:10 PM by HornetMaX
A few questions:

• There's only a wireless version right ? But does it work wired too (i.e. if connected with the cable, no wireless connection is necessary) ?
  • What has one to buy to use in on PC ? Just the vanilla one or the one with "Play & Charge Kit" ?
  • @PIBOSO: any plan to use the impulse triggers for some additional feedback ?

EDIT: got the answers for questions 1 and 2 : http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/accessories/connect-charge-cable-to-controller
Can work as wired (even without batteries), it only needs an USB to micro-USB cable.
Question 3 stands  ;D

MaX.

girlracerTracey

Well I've just tried out the xbox one controller on gpbikes. I'm impressed. With "direct lean" on it feels noticeably more controllable to me than how gpbikes feels with the xbox 360 pad. I seem to be able to control the handling of the bikes more easily exiting a bend and returning the bike to vertical. I'm not getting as muddled with the steering control in quick changes of direction left to right, right to left either in the "mid point" of the thumbstick's travel. So the "direct lean" on setting seems easier to manage to me when using the xbox one pad. This I think makes the option of using "direct lean" on with a joypad a more viable option for me. It feels a bit easier..

The PS4 pad is also very good. But I think I do prefer the feel of the xbox one pad. Also I prefer the more familiar positioning of the left thumbstick coming from having used an xbox 360 controller in the past. It's a cool pad..

I have been offered the xbox one pad for £25 by my friend (he bought it as an extra pad to play Titanfall with on split screen..but when Titanfall came out it didn't provide a split-screen option).

So I reckon it's worth having..

grT  ;)       

Klax75

Quote from: girlracerTracey on June 07, 2014, 04:52:41 PM
Well I've just tried out the xbox one controller on gpbikes. I'm impressed. With "direct lean" on it feels noticeably more controllable to me than how gpbikes feels with the xbox 360 pad. I seem to be able to control the handling of the bikes more easily exiting a bend and returning the bike to vertical. I'm not getting as muddled with the steering control in quick changes of direction left to right, right to left either in the "mid point" of the thumbstick's travel. So the "direct lean" on setting seems easier to manage to me when using the xbox one pad. This I think makes the option of using "direct lean" on with a joypad a more viable option for me. It feels a bit easier..

The PS4 pad is also very good. But I think I do prefer the feel of the xbox one pad. Also I prefer the more familiar positioning of the left thumbstick coming from having used an xbox 360 controller in the past. It's a cool pad..

I have been offered the xbox one pad for £25 by my friend (he bought it as an extra pad to play Titanfall with on split screen..but when Titanfall came out it didn't provide a split-screen option).

So I reckon it's worth having..

grT  ;)       

Sounds like a good deal. Think I might get one also. I've had my X-Box 360 controller since 2006 LFS days.

JamoZ

Will the wireless X1 controller work with my usb receiver i`m currently using with my wireless 360 controller?