• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:00:41 AM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

FBX2EDF Exporter fix?

Started by Hawk, June 27, 2014, 02:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawk

Hi Piboso.

Just wondering if there is going to be a fix for the FBX2EDF exporter anytime soon? It really is a pain when working with any other application besides 3ds max to get things exported to GPB.

Please fix it for us Piboso.  ;)

Hawk.

PS: would be great if we could have it compatible up to the latest version of FBX 2015.  ;D 8)

PiBoSo

Quote from: Hawk_UK on June 27, 2014, 02:53:58 PM

Hi Piboso.

Just wondering if there is going to be a fix for the FBX2EDF exporter anytime soon? It really is a pain when working with any other application besides 3ds max to get things exported to GPB.

Hawk.

PS: would be great if we could have it compatible up to the latest version of FBX 2015.  ;D 8)

Could you please list the problems with FBX2EDF?
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

Hawk

Hi Piboso... Thank you very much for your quick response.  ;)

Been testing the exporter again since last night:

• The FBX file for my scratch build track, "Hawk Park" is coverted to a .map file with no problems, which I must admit did surprise me(though this is the first time I tried it with this file). This file will convert in approx. 5 mins(though it is still only terrain and track surface to convert, but I'm converting it with no sampling or shadows selected).
  • The FBX file for "Mallory Park 1978"(Which converts okay with the 3ds Max 2010 EDF converter plugin, just doesn't seem to want to convert using the FBX2EDF converter at all. I set the converter running and leave it to do it's job and yet even after 4 hours it has still not finished the conversion? And the problem is that there is no indication it is still working correctly or any messages to let me know if it has crashed or hung up in a process or anything..... So I'm left with a decision to try again, or leave it even longer? Yet when I run the 3ds2EDF converter plugin from 3ds Max 2010, with the same imported "Mallory Park 1978" file it will convert in 20 mins(same settings, without any super sampling or shadows, just basic conversion)

My question is: Does the FBX converter have any bug problems that cause it to hang without any notice to the user?
Does the FBX converter take a heck of a lot longer to convert than an imported FBX file does using the 3ds2edf exporter plugin through 3ds Max? And if so, is 4 hours plus with the FBX converter compared to 20 mins for the 3ds2edf plugin Max converter an approximately correct and a to be expected time difference when using the FBX2EDF converter?

Pics below to demonstrate current situation after left running for 4+ hours:

Hope this helps, but I can send you the files if you require them.  ;)

Hawk.

PS: The reason I believe the FBX2EDF converter isn't working properly is not only because of my explanation above, but also because I saw a post by one of the Track Author Guys(Can't find the post as it was about 3 months ago now, so I don't want to post a specific members name), saying that he had a similar problem with it and that he now has to use the old 3ds2edf converter until an update fix is released.

Hawk

Hi Piboso.

Any response please mate. Thanks.  ;)

Hawk.

guigui404

Hawk for me it's work , i've try with Cinema4D and perfectly work ...

Hawk

Quote from: guigui404 on June 29, 2014, 04:11:36 PM
Hawk for me it's work , i've try with Cinema4D and perfectly work ...

How long do you have to wait for the FBX2ED converter to work? I left mine running for 4+ hours and still no end log? And this was on a track file that converted in 20 mins on the 3ds max EDF converter plugin(Same file same settings(Basic)).

Hawk.

guigui404

Me it's a bike 10 second to export aha :p

Hawk

Anyone else having a problem with the FBX2EDF converter? I know someone is who is a track author, I just cannot remember who it was.... Please speak up here. Thanks.  ;) :)

Hawk.

Steven

In the Indianapolis thread Arvoss had problems with the FBX2EDF converter, too.

http://forum.piboso.com/index.php?topic=846.0

Hawk

Quote from: Steven on July 03, 2014, 07:50:54 PM
In the Indianapolis thread Arvoss had problems with the FBX2EDF converter, too.

http://forum.piboso.com/index.php?topic=846.0

Hi Steven.

Thanks for that. It was Arvoss was it.... I'll have to get in touch with him about this. Thank you for the heads up mate!  ;) 8)

Hawk.

Hawk

February 14, 2015, 12:13:32 AM #10 Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 12:15:20 AM by Hawk_UK
Quote from: PiBoSo on June 27, 2014, 09:12:57 PM

Hi Piboso.

Hawk.

@Piboso. What version(year) of FBX is your FBX2EDF converter based(or built) around? I only ask because it just occurred to me that the reason the converter doesn't work when exporting a track .fbx file maybe because of the FBX version used to create the .fbx file?
I know that if I try to export a .fbx file that was created with a 2014 version of an autodesk FBX exporter it won't export correctly to 3ds Max 2010 unless I re-export it using an autodesk 2010 FBX exporter plugin(I can select which year for the FBX export file compatibility in Maya FBX exporter. Currently from 2008 - 2015). I don't see this option in your exporter.

I'm just thinking.... Could this be the problem we are having when exporting track data(I mean are we using the wrong FBX exporter that isn't compatible with the FBX version your FBX2EDF converter was built around?).

It would be helpful to know which version of FBX your FBX2EDF converter was built around so that I could test this. Thank you.  :)

Hawk.

PiBoSo

Quote from: Hawk_UK on February 14, 2015, 12:13:32 AM

Hi Piboso.

Hawk.

@Piboso. What version(year) of FBX is your FBX2EDF converter based(or built) around? I only ask because it just occurred to me that the reason the converter doesn't work when exporting a track .fbx file maybe because of the FBX version used to create the .fbx file?
I know that if I try to export a .fbx file that was created with a 2014 version of an autodesk FBX exporter it won't export correctly to 3ds Max 2010 unless I re-export it using an autodesk 2010 FBX exporter plugin(I can select which year for the FBX export file compatibility in Maya FBX exporter. Currently from 2008 - 2015). I don't see this option in your exporter.

I'm just thinking.... Could this be the problem we are having when exporting track data(I mean are we using the wrong FBX exporter that isn't compatible with the FBX version your FBX2EDF converter was built around?).

It would be helpful to know which version of FBX your FBX2EDF converter was built around so that I could test this. Thank you.  :)

Hawk.

Version 2012 is used.
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

Hawk

Quote from: PiBoSo on February 16, 2015, 01:15:24 PM

Hi Piboso.

Hawk.

Hawk.

Version 2012 is used.

Thank you Piboso.... I'll give this version a test and report back here.

I've been using the 2010 version when exporting via Maya to FBX format as that one is compatible with the 2010 version of 3DS Max that I also have, But I'll export now in 2012 version and see if this works for me.

Appreciate the info mate. Thank you.  ;)

Hawk.

Hawk

Quote from: Hawk_UK on February 16, 2015, 04:23:05 PM
Quote from: PiBoSo on February 16, 2015, 01:15:24 PM

Hi Piboso.

Hawk.

Hawk.

Version 2012 is used.

Thank you Piboso.... I'll give this version a test and report back here.

I've been using the 2010 version when exporting via Maya to FBX format as that one is compatible with the 2010 version of 3DS Max that I also have, But I'll export now in 2012 version and see if this works for me.

Appreciate the info mate. Thank you.  ;)

Hawk.

@ Piboso: I have tried exporting the Daytona 200 track in FBX_2012 version and tried converting it to a ".MAP" and ".TRP" file using your FBX2EDF converter: The ".TRP" file converted successfully. The ".MAP attempt failed.

I then proceeded to try the ".MAP conversion with Daytona 200.FBX file versions 2010/2011/2012, and 2013. All attempts failed(tried again without success several times on all versions).

I copied and zip-archived all the crash logs for these failures. You can download them all here: https://mega.co.nz/#!XQsCySrC!RWsHPVxg8KUMgbi1nzUW0KS8_GfYUSaGMMgsd3DHhOY

Hope they will be of help to you and we can get a quick fix for this problem as it would make life so much easier if this issue was solved. Thank you Piboso.  ;)

Hawk.

Obelix90

Hi Hawk,

I also had problems when converting from fbx to edf, but a bike and no track. The problem was, that every object in the scene has to be UV unwrapped. 3dsMax is doing this automatically, when you create a new object. I'm using Blender, and there I have to do this manually.
Maybe this helps a little.