• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

3rd person camera options?

Started by Forty6, August 11, 2014, 10:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forty6

Hello, I've had a look around the forum with no luck so I thought I'd ask here. Is there any way to change the angle/zoom of the 3rd person/chase camera to something like the orbital one in the replay? I know there are options regarding FOV tilt etc for the on board but I can't find anything for the chase view.

Thank you....

HornetMaX

The FOV works also for 3rd person view, but that's all you can change.

Out of curiosity, what else would you like to change ?

MaX.

Forty6

Probably just the zoom. So it's closer to the rider/bike. It isn't a criticism it's just I wondered if you could play around with it like you can in say, rfactor. What view do you mainly use? I'd like to use the on board eventually but as for learning I find it easier in the chase view.

HornetMaX

Most of the people play 3rd person view (chase), even if rider view (onboard) is probably what GPB is meant for.
Players using both seem to report that they are faster in 3rd person view (significantly faster, like 1sec on a lap), which is understandable.

If you zoom too close the bike, you'll have trouble seeing what happens around you (that's a problem when racing with others).
I know that some put extra large FOV (I think in-game you can set it 75 or 90 max, but editing a .ini file you can go beyond that I think).
Personally I don't like it as it introduces too much visual distortion, so I stick to what is allowed in-game.

MaX.

P.S.
Critics are allowed :)

camillozockt

i use FOV 105 on a 1920x1080resolution and 16:10 aspect ratio !!! more field of view will distort the picture but at the same time everything seems faster , what i like because on field of view like 80 , 200kmh feels like 40kmh -.-

and only riding in helmet view

Klax75

I also ride in Helmet view only I set my FOV about 90-95.

Although one time I set it to 120 and my guys arms looked so long and it felt like I was in a time warp. lol

Stout Johnson

I use FOV of around 60. It is very low, but I try to refer to what one can focus on in reality. In reality, one also cannot focus the full field of view of the human eye. So, for me personally this is what I like and use.

@Forty6 and other newcomers: I know it is hard, but my advise would be to do onboard view only. You are learning GPB anyhow - so while at learning why not learn onboard view also? It is the most rewarding view and imho, the only real option for doing simulation.

If I'd had my way, 3rd person view would only be available for offline practice... for online races imho only onboard view should be available. It makes for much closer and therefore more interesting races. Also it improves the behaviour of riders when riding in pack - not every position fight ends up in a crash. And imo, it does make one a better rider. As for laptimes, I might be faster with 3rd person view, but I just can't stand 3rd person view anymore. It just feels fake.
    -----------   WarStout Kawasaki Team   -----------

Forty6

Your probably right mate. When I'm playing say MX simulator, iracing, assetto corsa or even euro truck sim 2 I always use 1st person view as it's much more immersive. But at the moment I'm finding it tough to do a lap on any view without falling at least once!! Is there any way to stop low siding at the two right hand hairpins on the Phillip Island circuit included with the game but still carry speed? I feel like I'm really crawling round them to stay upright. I have all aids on apart from best line.

But I suppose that's why I'm really enjoying GPB. Its the fact you have to learn your way. I was reading through Klax75's post titled My Adventures with Direct Steer w/ Torque earlier and what a great read it was. That's some dedication to learning an art right there, and I'm probably a way off that journey. But it's great to see people who have been here a while still learning and trying new stuff.

Thanks....

Forty6

Taken some inspiration from Klax pushing the boundaries and I've turned all aids off apart from shift help and auto lean L/R F/B and I'm finding things easier. Obviously still playing at it but I can string a few laps together now. Can't believe how alive the bikes feel, great stuff!

Stout Johnson

Quote from: Forty6 on August 12, 2014, 06:38:37 PM
Taken some inspiration from Klax pushing the boundaries and I've turned all aids off apart from shift help and auto lean L/R F/B and I'm finding things easier. Obviously still playing at it but I can string a few laps together now. Can't believe how alive the bikes feel, great stuff!

nice to hear that mate!
    -----------   WarStout Kawasaki Team   -----------

Klax75

August 12, 2014, 09:10:07 PM #10 Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 09:29:23 PM by Klax75
Quote from: Forty6 on August 12, 2014, 06:38:37 PM

Good stuff dude. :) Remember a simulation you should learn not just play.

HornetMaX

Aids are helpful maybe the 1st day. After that you usually realize that you're far better off without (shift help is acceptable, auto rider lean is used by most, even if manual rider lean L/R seems to have some benefits).

You're off to a nice start !

MaX.