• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Modding armageddon started - request !

Started by HornetMaX, December 19, 2013, 09:00:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HornetMaX

Hi all,

now that modding has been fully unlocked, we'll be buried under a tons of different mods made by different people and often for the same bike class (e.g. the much requested 600cc).

One thing I'd like to have is the following: completely separate the bike 3d model from the bike physics, more or less the same way the helmet model is now separate from the the suit/paint.

That way, 3d modellers would not have to care about physics and vice versa.

MaX.

Hawk

Alby46

Faster modding ... I like that!
But... Do the bike model influences the overall performance of the bike?
Still riding a 50cc, but enjoying it :)

HornetMaX

Quote from: Alby46 on December 20, 2013, 05:23:40 AM
I would think/hope that no, the 3d model geometry is independent from the physical parameters of the bike, so that it should be possible to have a bike with 2m wheelbase visually, but only 1.4m in the physics. Can anybody confim ?

MaX.

oppolo

Quote from: HornetMaX on December 20, 2013, 09:05:29 AM
I would think/hope that no, the 3d model geometry is independent from the physical parameters of the bike, so that it should be possible to have a bike with 2m wheelbase visually, but only 1.4m in the physics. Can anybody confim ?

MaX.

try to change some parameters and see what's happen, for example "width" in the tyre file

Hawk

December 20, 2013, 09:20:47 AM #5 Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 09:22:22 AM by Hawk_UK
Quote from: HornetMaX on December 20, 2013, 09:05:29 AM

MaX.

The 3D Geometry will be totally independent from the physics algorithms that define how the bike handles/accelerates etc,etc.
For the 3D model to effect performance would require a fluids dynamics simulation for air flow simulation. It's the difference between Xplane 10 and Microsoft Flight Simulator(XPlane is a fluid dynamic flight simulatior and Microsoft Flight Sim is calculated via fixed physics factors used to calculate performance.).

HornetMaX

Quote from: Hawk_UK on December 20, 2013, 09:20:47 AM
The 3D Geometry will be totally independent from the physics algorithms that define how the bike handles/accelerates etc,etc.
For the 3D model to effect performance would require a fluids dynamics simulation for air flow simulation. It's the difference between Xplane 10 and Microsoft Flight Simulator(XPlane is a fluid dynamic flight simulatior and Microsoft Flight Sim is calculated via fixed physics factors used to calculate performance.).
That's clear, but some major parameters could potentially be linked, like the wheelbase, front head pivot point, swingarm pivot point etc. That said, I don't think they should be linked.

BTW, I really really doubt X10 simulates properly the fluid dynamics of an airplane: research code I've  seen running on very powerful computers was far from being realtime :) Sounds like a bit of marketing-speech from Xplanes.

Quote from: oppolo on December 20, 2013, 09:16:59 AM
try to change some parameters and see what's happen, for example "width" in the tyre file

Wish I could, I'm thousands of Km away from my PC so no GPB for me till 01 Jan :(

MaX.

Hawk

Quote from: HornetMaX on December 20, 2013, 09:36:07 AM

BTW, I really really doubt X10 simulates properly the fluid dynamics of an airplane: research code I've  seen running on very powerful computers was far from being realtime :) Sounds like a bit of marketing-speech from Xplanes.

Xplane actually does break down the model planes into segments for the calculation of airflow over the those segments; Now I understand what your talking about, but xplane does not do the calculations on a very very high level of model segments like they do in the science community because obviously we are only talking about the power of a PC here. :) But Yes Xplane does do fluid dynamic calc's for airflow across the 3D models in the simulation.

As far as parts of the 3D model in GP Bikes being linked to physics; no part of the actual model will be linked other than for animation purposes and showing you results of the physics calculations going on in the background in real time. ect, etc. But that's got nothing to do with calculating the physics... In fact You could model a brick and run it in GP Bikes and it would perform as the bike was intended according to the physics calculations. Of course that is going to the extreme. LOL ;D

Sorry, im in a bit of a rush, so I hope I explained this properly? I'll catch ya later to explain more detail if you need  :)

HornetMaX

Thanks Hawk ! Just read something about X Plane and yes indeed, they do some sort of (very simplified) fluid dynamics computations. Most likely a big part of this is done offline when the model is created/processed. Still, a nice idea from them.

For GPB, that was what I was thinking, I just wasn't 100% sure.

MaX.