• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Controller beginnings

Started by teeds, October 23, 2014, 10:53:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

teeds

October 23, 2014, 10:53:08 AM Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 11:52:41 AM by teeds
With some old parts from my SRAD 750 I've made this and it seems to work pretty well after some tweaking. Got a mate sorting me some bearings and a mount for the steering assembly but for now I use this with my MS Sidewinder 2 joystick. I just need to make the pegs a bit more comfy for feet in socks.

Hawk

Very nice! That's just the sort of set-up I had in mind for operating the gears and rear brake.

Great job mate!  ;D 8)

Hawk.

-aGy-

teeds

November 01, 2014, 01:30:22 PM #3 Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 11:53:49 AM by teeds
My mate has finished the steering base, just got to make and fit the control mechanics then wire it up. It's a blatant copy of DDs rig and I thank him for saving me a load of time working out how best to mount the handle bars to the pivot.

The seat section has been thoroughly tested and has stood up well. Just got to work out what might be best to use for foam, rubber or other pliable stuff to give the rear brake a hydraulic brake feel, I'll be using the same thing for the front brake too.

Hawk

BOBR6 84

looking at that.. its screaming out "back ache" lol

good stuff though mate fair play to ya! why not try with a real bike frame/subframe? weld some support legs for it.. then bolt all the rearsets etc to it..

doubledragoncc

November 01, 2014, 04:54:22 PM #6 Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 05:07:22 PM by doubledragoncc
Quote from: teeds on November 01, 2014, 01:30:22 PM
My mate has finished the steering base, just got to make and fit the control mechanics then wire it up. It's a blatant copy of DDs rig and I thank him for saving me a load of time working out how best to mount the handle bars to the pivot.

The seat section has been thoroughly tested and has stood up well. Just got to work out what might be best to use for foam, rubber or other pliable stuff to give the rear brake a hydraulic brake fee, I'll be using the same thing for the front brake too.

Glad I could help with the steering. I intend to patent it eventually but it costs a lot of money. Thanks for giving me the credit for design. If I can help in any way just ask. The main point is that you should use expansion springs for lever resistance and not compression springs, same for the steering to center it.

One negative in you bars is the height. It needs to be around 810mm at the ends of the bars to the ground and 820mm for the seat from top of the seat to the ground. Thats the basic measurements for GSXR and CBR bikes. The top of the foot pegs should be 440mm form the top of the seat and in the center of the seat horizontal line. These are just basic crotchrocket setup but will give you an idea of how to start the spacing. You can bring the bars closer to the seat for a more upright sitting position as it is less strain on your back over long periods of time riding. After an hour on one of my systems its quite a workout on your arms and back but in a good way lol.

Best of luck and fun in the build.

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

Hawk

@DD: Be careful of releasing details of anything you intend to patent, I suggest you fully read and understand the rules of patenting an invention that you have already released the details to the open public.

I would hate for you to be discussing your invention here, and then you be denied a patent due to you already having released the details to the public without any thought of non-disclosure.

This is just a precaution.... I hope it helps mate.  ;)

Hawk.

doubledragoncc

@Hawk

Thanks for saying that hawk, but L have changed a lot and there is so much l never show. l do it for the passion of riding and my main point for it is to help everyone enjoy bike sims and games. I know the patent laws so the info l give is basic, but it still helps others. I realize many can not afford a real system and am working on a modular design with that in mind. At the end of the day l just want to help whoever l can, its not about money, its about the passion of riding.

Thank you for stepping up and saying that though. Its people like you that care for others here that makes this a great community. I think it was very good of teeds to give me the credit, he did not have to, but did, thats how we all should be here.

Keep it sunny side up guys and gals

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

Hawk

Quote from: doubledragoncc on November 01, 2014, 05:28:23 PM
@Hawk

Thanks for saying that hawk, but L have changed a lot and there is so much l never show. l do it for the passion of riding and my main point for it is to help everyone enjoy bike sims and games. I know the patent laws so the info l give is basic, but it still helps others. I realize many can not afford a real system and am working on a modular design with that in mind. At the end of the day l just want to help whoever l can, its not about money, its about the passion of riding.

Thank you for stepping up and saying that though. Its people like you that care for others here that makes this a great community. I think it was very good of teeds to give me the credit, he did not have to, but did, thats how we all should be here.

Keep it sunny side up guys and gals

DD

Great attitude to life... Nice to hear that DD!  ;D 8)

Hawk.

teeds

Quote from: BOBR6 84 on November 01, 2014, 03:52:45 PM
looking at that.. its screaming out "back ache" lol

Fair comment BOB, I had originally gone for an exact dimension match of my GSXR but then realized it would be like riding in slow traffic all the time!  :-\ So I've gone for more of a Bandit type of riding position. Also those dimensions are no good for using this rig in front of your average desk and monitor setup so I've shrunk it's height all round and made the steering adjustable so you could use it on your knees and also standing upright. With that and the seat to handle bar adjustment it should allow anyone of any size to set it up as they wish.

@DD - Did you find the steering center spring was necessary? I was thinking of maybe just putting on an adjustable steering damper for some resistance.

doubledragoncc

The steering needs 2 springs to center it for the potentiometer and it gives a bit of resistance too. use 2 extension springs is best.

DD

teeds

OK ta, I will test centering with bungees when it's up and running, which should be this weekend hopefully.

So when will we see the rig in your videos in the shops then DD?  :)

doubledragoncc

Bungees wont do it right teeds. Has to be springs you can get from a good hardware store cheap.

I just got back to UK so am just setting up a new company. It will take a bit but should be in the new year. I am also talking to Leo Bodnar about working together so keeping my fingers crossed something good happens soon.

I have totally redesigned most of my systems for 3D printing to lower cost and make it lighter for shipping.

Best of luck for the weekend m8.

DD

teeds

November 10, 2014, 11:11:53 AM #14 Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 11:30:45 AM by teeds
Well it's not finished, but it's in use and so much damn fun that further improvements will be tricky lol

A video of my mate riding around Assen, sorry about the crap footage.

https://www.youtube.com/v/zdIgecNPASM

Managed to tear myself away for a little while and add some basic buttons.