• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:06:15 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Steering rig start

Started by h106frp, January 24, 2015, 11:29:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

h106frp

The NI/Labview route is by far the easiest/most flexible way of doing this sort of thing. Most devices will already have drivers written and both the software and hardware are heavily subsidized for educational use.

h106frp

Might have got a bit carried away with the roll axis motor  ::) It was a 'bargain' from one of those bankrupt stock type warehouses. Bit bigger than expected  :o Trying to convince myself that it was a good purchase....

Output shaft is 25mm dia so i suspect it may have a 'bit' of torque available  ;D

doubledragoncc

I can see that thing bending a frame if it aint strong lol, fuggin 25mm can take weight bro. Hey you industrial power supply at your house to run it lol

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

h106frp

February 11, 2015, 08:16:47 PM #33 Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 08:19:35 PM by h106frp
I think you could probably drive a sit on frame with this thing!
Power is not as bad as it seems as i have gone 24volt to keep the amps to something that does not need welding cable to connect it up. Biggest concern is keeping it under control and safe, be a bit worrying if it just ended up spinning round! Limit stops/switches and e-stop are high on the list of tasks before i even think of powering it up. It should do 120 degree sweep (lock to lock) in about 0.5 seconds  if you let it 8)

It also weighs a ton  :(

HornetMaX

The safety of these things is a big concern. That thing can kill, seriously !

MaX.

h106frp

Good advice to anyone experimenting with higher toque motors and i will certainly be removing the bar vertical axis assembly for testing and set-up, the idea of the handlebars flying round at 180rpm is very sobering.

doubledragoncc

It is a bit concerning dude. I could think of some nasty shit with that thing. It is the sort of thing needed though. If you think how quickly a pro goes from fully cranked over on one side to the totally opposite its gotta be quick if your building it the way I want to do it. I use good quality steel just on my static systems and you CANT break or bend em. I had a dude with 349lb on one time and it didnt even wobble!!!

Looking forward to seeing some SAFE tests and maybe some shows of its force.

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

BOBR6 84

What does that do exactly? force feedback?

You lot should put your heads together and jump on a project!!

doubledragoncc

Its the motor for driving the movement and force feedback BOBP or it could be some perverted thingy majig H is constructing. Can neva tell wiv you lot, but I aint bendin over anywhere near it. lol

DD

BOBR6 84

lol  :D

so.. when the handlebars shake in GPB this rig will do the same??

hehe get the cushions ready  ;D

h106frp

February 12, 2015, 07:42:29 AM #40 Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 07:46:09 AM by h106frp
The scheme is to simulate 'normal' bike steering, or at least discover if it is possible. This motor/gbox will rotate the bars to simulate the lean angle of the bike using the output from GPB. The reason for it needing to be fairly powerful is so that the 'rider' cannot influence the lean by bar force, it is only ever driven to the correct angle as calculated by GPB.

Another separate motor/gearbox assembly will be used to provide the 'force feedback' signal computed by GPB for the bars steer angle, the input to the system will be the torque applied to the bars by the rider.

It will also feature hydraulic force sensing brake and clutch.

Thats the plan anyway, i'm sure it will take a bit of development to get right but it's an interesting technical exercise  :)

Toomes1

Highsiding  here we come.😳

doubledragoncc

What happens if the signal from GPB is fooked, It might cream you from side to side even if the bike on screen is going striaght lol. Hope Piboso got all that coding right lol

DD

h106frp

Its a serious concern, on the main roll axis i have fitted a solid stop block to limit the travel to +-60 degrees, this also has limit switches that will stop the servo controller in that direction as well. I will do the same for the steer axis as well.

I will add a bit of code to the control signal send to trap any really crazy stuff that comes from GPB, trapping the peak values in software does suggest that occasional spikes occur on the steer torque axis that are 10x (350Nm reported) the normal magnitudes you would expect, i guess this is just a computational thing though if could possibly explain some of the 'freak' crashes people observe in game. MaX has seen similar with his logger so he might know if they relate to any specific activity in the sim environment.

The intention is also to have a master kill/panic switch on the servo enable line - i was thinking dead mans handle style so that if you let go of the grips it will stop but can't figure an easy but elegant way to do it - a 'push to enable' foot switch might be easier to implement.

Hopefully once the bugs are ironed out it will be reliable and confidence will build :).

Going to concentrate on finishing the hydraulic stuff first though. Latest plan is to have the load cylinders move with the bars - this will mean the hoses and banjo bolts are not flexed so less chance of leaks developing. Wish i had used the alloy cylinders now as the cast ones are fairly heavy but i was concerned about bore wear at the time i ordered them, in hindsight i doubt this will be an issue. Maybe i will upgrade them in the future if the system works out OK.

Ian

Just thinking about a kill switch could you use one of those sensor you get on a exercise bike that monitors your heart beat.
No idea how they work or if you could use it.