• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:22:41 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Suspension Setup Guide

Started by Napalm Nick, March 31, 2015, 02:20:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Napalm Nick

Thought people might find this interesting if anyone doesn't know their rebound from their preload

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5g39ycwwnon8w5l/Suspension%20Guide.pdf?dl=0

Maybe there is scope here to get all the set-up settings explained - and cross-referenced to the in-game options.

For example - Engine braking 3 means none/little and 0 means full Eh?  ???
Pre-load doubt over correct effect.

Be nice if people in the know can chip in too. Nirvana might be a list of settings versus what effects it should have?

"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

Boerenlater

QuoteFor example - Engine braking 3 means none/little and 0 means full Eh?
I thought it was the other way around??
I stopped gaming (and GP-Bikes)

Napalm Nick

Quote from: Boerenlater on March 31, 2015, 02:57:33 PM

Exactly the confusion I'm on about.  Higher number less engine braking in this game.

See this extract from Maxs excellent guide:

TCS: Traction Control System, the higher the setting, the lesser chances to lose the rear when opening the throttle you have.
•Engine Braking: how much the engine will brke (or try to) when you close the throttle and/or shift down. Surprisingly, here 0 means maximum engine braking, 3 is minimum.
•Anti Wheeling: electronic system that cuts some power when the bike is wheeling. 0 = OFF, 3 = maximum.
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

Napalm Nick

What I'd like to see is something like this:

PRELOAD - raise or lower front or rear of bike - higher number = higher bike
Advantages of raising - More lean angle available therefore tighter turning circle.
Disadvantages of raising - Less stable bike generally, and greater chance of losing grip on corners.

Of course it would be completely irrelevant if the changes don't actually cause these effects in the game. If they don't then maybe advantages and disadvantages could be modified to what they do actually do in game. But that would take someone in-the-know.

Would that be useful to anyone?

HornetMaX

Quote from: Napalm Nick on March 31, 2015, 03:13:25 PM
Quote from: Boerenlater on March 31, 2015, 02:57:33 PM
Exactly the confusion I'm on about.  Higher number less engine braking in this game.
It is indeed very confusing as it is right now.

I think (speculation) that the reasoning behind this choice is the following: zero means no brake control (i.e. no electronics), the higher the value the higher the control (the smaller the engine brake). Same as TCS = zero means "no traction control".

It would probably be better to rename it to Engine Brake Control.

Quote from: Napalm Nick on March 31, 2015, 03:39:41 PM
What I'd like to see is something like this:

PRELOAD - raise or lower front or rear of bike - higher number = higher bike
Advantages of raising - More lean angle available therefore tighter turning circle.
Disadvantages of raising - Less stable bike generally, and greater chance of losing grip on corners.

The problem in explaining how suspensions work is that one would need 10 pages at least.
Personally I don't think I know enough to do that and I surely lack the "on the field" experience.

MaX.

Napalm Nick

Thanks Max appreciate your input very much,

Quote from: HornetMaX on March 31, 2015, 07:23:03 PM
The problem in explaining how suspensions work is that one would need 10 pages at least.
Personally I don't think I know enough to do that and I surely lack the "on the field" experience.

MaX.

Each one can be short and sweet. in my example I left out that it doesn't actually raise the ride height, but it does prevent sag, as the overall gain is a higher riding position.

We could even add pictures with a caption:

"Without a High Preload setting he would be riding a lot lower"

But it can be an evolving project, made beautiful by the varied experiences of the community here.   ;D :D

BOBR6 84

Should be a caption appear when you scroll over the setting you want to adjust..

Something like ''increase damping for more placebo effect''  ;D :D

Napalm Nick

Quote from: BOBR6 84 on March 31, 2015, 08:25:49 PM
Should be a caption appear when you scroll over the setting you want to adjust..

Something like ''increase damping for more placebo effect''  ;D :D

Yes yes I saw that request also here somewhere (maybe under "suggestions") for the in-game that is very good.  Done the same way as some of the other settings already are.  Or even a <?> next to the setting for an information box.  But we cant do any of that - but we can make a guide here.

Or maybe you are suggesting that it doesn't matter what you change it doesn't do anything?? Lol Placebo.

It certainly doesn't gain me any time on track as far as I can tell. I have the default Tortoise setting even if I put the Hare setting on. :-[

BOBR6 84

Lol bit of both..

Some of the fastest players dont touch the setups...  ???
They do make a difference though but some things like swing arm pivot does nothing... (unless used by a mod bike).
Preload confuses me.. Lean angles always stay the same.. No way of telling how much sag you have etc

I would like it to translate to a visual difference too! Im not sure if it does at the moment?

On the replays it looks the same to me.

On my bike im using a nitron shock.. 1 click here or there makes a huge difference! I just dont get that in GPB..

doubledragoncc

BOBPPPPPPPPPP look at the ass on the lass in the pic, you can tell she has lots of SAG lol! But seriously sag is hard to determine as it depends on the weight of the individual rider so that would have to be entered to calculate it IRL. It is doable in a game even graphically, its just extra work.

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

BOBR6 84

Lol biiig momma!!

Mxbikes has a setup screen for sag.. Not really looked at it yet but maybe gpbikes will get something similar..